Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1211

Thread: Epic Destinies

Quote Originally Posted by Nigo View Post
    so caster level stays put at 20?
    Specific Destinies increase your caster level.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostBeard View Post
    ah thank you, also on #4 that will suck if you make a mistake or change your role from a fighter to a healer, i guess we cant know what the destinies are until they release them, but having no way to reset them means choose wisely and hope none are broken/overpowered because the points you spend are gone forever.
    You can't really get 'stuck' regarding Epic Destiny choices. You can eventually unlock all Destinies and switch between them, essentially resetting your choices and starting from scratch.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post

You can't really get 'stuck' regarding Epic Destiny choices. You can eventually unlock all Destinies and switch between them, essentially resetting your choices and starting from scratch.
    Whats the cooldown?
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Whats the cooldown?
    I get the impression there is no cooldown but you have to talk to an npc to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    This is true. You'll get to spend a maximum of 24 points in a destiny tree when the tree itself will offer over twice that.
    How many points do we get in total to spend anywhere? 30, 40?

Quote Originally Posted by Vazok1 View Post
    My understanding is 24 points in your chosen destiny tree plus twists of fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazok1 View Post
    This VVV

Quote Originally Posted by Auran82 View Post
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

Quote Originally Posted by Auran82 View Post
    My understanding also. Fate points, from what I read are every 3 levels of a destiny so that if you stick to one destiny to level 25 that should be 24 destiny points and 1 2/3 fate points. Switching destinies and how you spend fate points is looking to be very interesting.

EDIT: Of course you can keep leveling destinies after max epic level (just heading off the inevitable question from thread skimmers )
    EDIT2: Mis-read 1 fate point per 3 destiny levels as 1 fate point per 3 destiny ranks, thanks shadereaper33 for pointing that out.

My question: Can we swap in/out fate abilities at the destiny trainer?

bitkaCK2
    Last edited by BitkaCK2; 05-07-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    "That's right, remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over..." ~ Heavenly Bank Account by Frank Zappa
    "Your 'Gin n' tonic Futon Brain' cyborg implants sure make you smart!" ~ Seraphita, Element of Fire

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitkaCK2 View Post
    My understanding also. Fate points, from what I read are every 3 ranks of a destiny so that if you stick to one destiny to level 25 that should be 24 destiny points and 8 fate points. Switching destinies and how you spend fate points is looking to be very interesting.

EDIT: Of course you can keep leveling destinies after max epic level (just heading off the inevitable question from thread skimmers )

My question: Can we swap in/out fate abilities at the destiny trainer?

bitkaCK2
    To my knowledge, there are only 5 ranks to a destiny, so if you stick with one all the way to cap, you will only have the 1 twist of fate point, but you will also be 2/3 of the way to the next twist of fate point.

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    To my knowledge, there are only 5 ranks to a destiny, so if you stick with one all the way to cap, you will only have the 1 twist of fate point, but you will also be 2/3 of the way to the next twist of fate point.
    Good call, my bad. I read levels as ranks (old habit), will correct my post.

Thanks,
    bitkaCK2
    "That's right, remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over..." ~ Heavenly Bank Account by Frank Zappa
    "Your 'Gin n' tonic Futon Brain' cyborg implants sure make you smart!" ~ Seraphita, Element of Fire

That is a ridiculous comparison as most of the power in the current game at cap comes from gear.
    And most of the power in the future game looks to come from epic destinies, which a level 20 can have in essentially the same degree as a 25.

There will be better level 25 gear (how much better? I'm guessing not a lot, compare alchemicals to greensteel...that's the kind of increase we're likely to see), and there will be level-gated destiny abilities, but I think these will have less of an impact that many seem to assume.

Right now, there's a WORLD of difference between a level 16 wizard and a level 17 wizard. Wail alone places a giant steel wall that separates the power level of these two characters. I believe that the difference between a 20 and a 25 will be a fraction of that kind of gap.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    And most of the power in the future game looks to come from epic destinies, which a level 20 can have in essentially the same degree as a 25.

There will be better level 25 gear (how much better? I'm guessing not a lot, compare alchemicals to greensteel...that's the kind of increase we're likely to see), and there will be level-gated destiny abilities, but I think these will have less of an impact that many seem to assume.

Right now, there's a WORLD of difference between a level 16 wizard and a level 17 wizard. Wail alone places a giant steel wall that separates the power level of these two characters. I believe that the difference between a 20 and a 25 will be a fraction of that kind of gap.
    This is what I'm really hoping.

Bring some closure to the gaping melee/caster gap, small increase in power, but lots of cool and useful stuff.

If that's done, it sounds good to me. What starts me worrying is that they may think to raise the lvl cap again, and we start seeing a significant gap in between lvl20s and lvl cap. I think they should stick to the lvl25 cap, and add more destinies (and PrEs!). Every destiny added will increase a characters potential versatility, so it will make more flexible characters with something to strive for, with out creating crazy power creep.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

Community Member bradleyforrest's Avatar

What it sounds like from what we've been told is that we can't reset anything that we've spent in a specific Epic Destiny. Can we actually reset the points that we've put into a ED?

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyforrest View Post
    What it sounds like from what we've been told is that we can't reset anything that we've spent in a specific Epic Destiny. Can we actually reset the points that we've put into a ED?
    I think it's that you can't reset xp earned for a specific destiny. You can however reset what points you've spent. So...say you spent 3 points into Increased Fire Damage from the Draconic Heritage destiny. You could reset those points and spend them in Increased Ice Damage instead.

You couldn't however, reset those 3 points, and then spend them in another Destiny like Shadowdancer. You'd have to change your active legacy, and then earn xp in that destiny.

That's how I understand it anyway.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by oberon131313 View Post
    answered page 2
    Not really... be not sure if Matt was asking about "Epic feats", Page 2 only shows the two character feat slots within level 25 which I assume pretty much heroic feating will be used.

Epic level D&D have what are known as "Epic feats" i.e.
    Devastating Critical [Epic]
    Prerequisites
    Str 25, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (chosen weapon), Overwhelming Critical (chosen weapon), Power Attack, Weapon Focus (chosen weapon).

Benefit
    Whenever you score a critical hit with the chosen weapon, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ your level + your Strength modifier) or die instantly. (Creatures immune to critical hits can’t be affected by this feat.)

Special
    You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a different type of weapon.
    are many others like Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting, Great Smiting, Improved Manyshot, Improved Stunning Fist ... but, this being a more generic system I cannot see them translating and adding many as the base prereq's imply some required "epic class" levels - which usually have more epic feat space in there due epic class bonus - so not so generic.

Here the design system's real punch be Epic Destinies which look very similar to the actual D&D PrC's to me. Had a shadow dancer years ago ... a fav character to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    Min level = (((13 x 2)-1)-2 for master craftmanship) = min level 23
    {And a nice weapon, congratulations!}
    Thank you, I am naive come crafting, goes to show, you really do not need to know what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    That is the way I understood it.
    Last edited by Emili; 05-08-2012 at 03:16 AM.
    A Baker's dozen in the Prophets of the New Republic and Fallen Heroes.
    Abaigeal(TrBd25), Ailiae(TrDrd2), Ambyre(Rgr25), Amilia(Pl20), Einin(TrRgr25), Emili(TrFgt25), Heathier(TrClc22), Kynah(TrMnk25), Meallach(Brb25), Misbehaven(TrArt22), Myara(Rog22), Rosewood(TrBd25) and Sgail(TrWiz20) little somethings with flavour 'n favour

is a tree at cap gives me 24 points to spend but the tree has around double that, could i spend the 24 to get what i want then use the twists of fate on the same tree to get others from that tree? i imagine long term its not too optimal but short term at least it'd be handy

Community Member

What scares me is that one of the epic destinies for the sorc line is increased Elemental damage dependent upon the draconic destiny chosen..... If this is an untimered permanent damage increase then how does melee have any chance of bridging the already wide gap between caster and melee dps?

From what I can see the "Dreadnought Master Blitz" or whatever it is called will likely be a timered click activated ability although it appears powerful, if it has a significant cooldown as I imagine it does, then I just feel the gap between Sorc DPS and melee dps will only be widening.
    Thats cool for all the Sorcs and other powerful casting classes (if they get something similar) but I feel it could be detrimental down the road to melee classes when they start lagging further behind.

All in all I love the look of the Epic Destinies and it looks like it will open up alot of build choices, I just have this sinking feeling that it may just make the already most powerful classes far too powerful in relation to the others..
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterHops View Post
    All in all I love the look of the Epic Destinies and it looks like it will open up alot of build choices, I just have this sinking feeling that it may just make the already most powerful classes far too powerful in relation to the others..
    The devs have said in the Enhancement change thread that they have identified power imbalances between redbars and bluebars, and that they would try to correct that through the revision of the Enhancement system.

I do not know if that will be the case, however. I cannot see how the power chasm of a caster gathering up 30 mobs and casting one Wail compared to a melee slowly (and dangerously) trying to chop through the same crowd one by one could be negated by Enhancements. But we will see.

(Also, from previous posts, the devs seem to be labouring under the mistaken belief that casters are very limited in their power by their Spell Point pools. They are apparently not very aware of rest shrines, mana pots and SP regeneration gear.)
    Various hedge-wizards and halfwits, please see MyDDO for all your squelching needs
    Lyrandar 2006 - Devourer 2007 - Thelanis 2009 - Ghallanda 2010

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Razcar View Post
    The devs have said in the Enhancement change thread that they have identified power imbalances between redbars and bluebars, and that they would try to correct that through the revision of the Enhancement system.

I do not know if that will be the case, however. I cannot see how the power chasm of a caster gathering up 30 mobs and casting one Wail compared to a melee slowly (and dangerously) trying to chop through the same crowd one by one could be negated by Enhancements. But we will see.
    It would help if monsters are immune to death effects until their hp reach 50 %. Enhancements could improve that to 75 %.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Whats the cooldown?
    I'll put my monies on 3 days. Just like with enhancement resets, spell swaps for spontaneous casters, etc.

The Hatchery

What about effects that use your class level to determine DC/damage, e.g. a Rogue's Assassinate?

Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast