Thread: Epic Quest Gear

Default Epic Quest Gear

Ok, I don't run a lot of the higher quest since I do mostly pug parties. I put all my toons in my on guild since I got tired of blind invites to guilds. I have been in some guildes but either drop the guild due to conflicts or been booted for lack of being geared or flagged for certain quests. At one time I was with a great guild and they did teach me on how to certain quests but due to real live events some of the dropped out of playing and the guild fell apart. So my question is as a pugger what gear should I be trying to get in order to do epic quests. I have a level 20 cleric, wizard and paladin. Bethlena P20, Flametouched W20 and Feelgood C20.

Do all your toons have over 400 hp? If not get them there. Have heavy fort? If not don't bother with anything over level 14

Take toughness feat and some of its enhancements
    Greensteel hp item for all of them
    Heavy fort + toughness (+20 hp) comes on an easy minimum level 11 helmet from Necro 4
    Many belts from Amrath have con 6 + greater false life on it.

If that doesn't get the toons over 400 hp you might want to respec them with an LR. No use healing any party if you are going to get splatted.

Most time I see people booted from a party is their lack of HP and not lack of gear.

Cleric: Max wisdom, starting con at about 15, spread the rest into cha and str. Level ups in wisdom. Get a +6 wisdom item, +6 cha item. Make sure you take the Radiant Servant PRE for easier healing. Do 20 shrouds, get a cleansing stone and make a SP item as well. Don't die.

The wizard on the other hand people want a decent DC on your necro or enchant DCs. This is not hard. Maximize your int when you make the toon. Either 16 (if WF), 18, or 20 (if drow). Make sure allll the level ups have gone into int. Make sure you pick spell focus necro/enchant, greater spell focus necro/enchant. and if you are a fleshy by god make sure you are a pale master... If you are a warforge you can go either PM or AM. Do 20 shrouds, get a cleansing stone, make a SP item as well. Don't die.

With maxed int, over 400 HP, +6 int item, greater spell focus item, +1 exceptional int w/ +2 exeptional int on a TOD ring (can be acquired later) you will do fine in epics. Just be able to crowd control or at least buff people if your DCs arent landing with displacements and explain to them you are working on your gear. Rage and Haste whenever it is off timer, and don't get yourself killed.

The Paladin... I dunno beat on stuff. Make sure you have enough HP not to get 1 shotted as well as the heavy fort. Depending on what kinda pally you are there are different TOD rings for your build... For example if KotC: http://ddowiki.com/page/Lorinthor%27s_Ring
    Since you are breaking good DR as a pure paladin make sure your weapon is breaking boss DR. If Lawful Outsider (Shroud/VOD/TOD) make sure it is a Silver weapon that does good damage. If Chaotic (Lailat and other Demons) a cold iron weapon. And for LOB adamantine. If you die, your LOH isn't fast enough or you can blame the cleric for not having enough gear and kick him from the party.
    Characters: Groundnpound - Whatmanabar - Paleforce - ChonknorrisCaelasreth - Giggidy - DrGinger - Brassmonkey

Member of Captains Crew Ghallanda

Community Member

Try looking into the challenge and special event gear. There are some nice items and it's usually not too hard to find a few people to run them. Sometimes it can be really hard to get named items from raids or quests so the items you can create will help you survive and contribute untill you can find the right items for your character

Challenge gear is nice.

Crystal Cove gear is nice.

Greensteel is nice.

All 3 of the above are a good stepping stone to some of the typical epic gear sought after. In some cases, these are even better.

Too bad you're not on Thelanis, we're recruiting for epics. In a lot of cases, this will be people's first time through once we help them cap.
    Last edited by danotmano1998; 05-04-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cwfergtx View Post
    Ok, I don't run a lot of the higher quest since I do mostly pug parties. I put all my toons in my on guild since I got tired of blind invites to guilds. I have been in some guildes but either drop the guild due to conflicts or been booted for lack of being geared or flagged for certain quests. At one time I was with a great guild and they did teach me on how to certain quests but due to real live events some of the dropped out of playing and the guild fell apart. So my question is as a pugger what gear should I be trying to get in order to do epic quests. I have a level 20 cleric, wizard and paladin. Bethlena P20, Flametouched W20 and Feelgood C20.
    what.. back in the days we used to flag our guildmates, not kick them.
    Camp Naughty Bad Fun
    Jichael Mackson

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by giggiddy View Post
    The wizard on the other hand people want a decent DC on your necro or enchant DCs. This is not hard. Maximize your int when you make the toon. Either 16 (if WF), 18, or 20 (if drow). Make sure allll the level ups have gone into int.
    Just sayin', WF don't have an Int penalty, so 18 on them too (I imagine you just had Sorc on the brain).

With maxed int, over 400 HP, +6 int item, greater spell focus item, +1 exceptional int w/ +2 exeptional int on a TOD ring (can be acquired later).
    Go get an Epic Treasure Hunter's Spyglass! Right now, this weekend. You have two and a half days before it's gone! GO GO GO! Why are you still reading this thread?! GOOOO!

Quote Originally Posted by cwfergtx View Post
    I have been in some guildes but either drop the guild due to conflicts or been booted for lack of being geared or flagged for certain quests.
    Wow.

If you weren't flagged for certain quests, where were your (former) guildies helping you out to get flagged?

And properly geared? If you didn't know what you needed, why didn't your guildies give you some friendly advice on what you'd need for your toons?
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

There is no specific quest gear that you'd need to run epics (if that's what you're looking for). However, what the others pointed out - cold iron + good weapons, silver + good weapons, fortification items, and constitution enhancers - are good starts.

Another thing I'd suggest is crafting. At lvl 40 in crafting, you can make decent demon, devil, construct beaters (weapons that bypass combined alignment and metal damage reduction AND have an included "Bane" attribute on them). My pally is around 17 or 18 now, and I've got several weapons with metal attributes (silver, cold iron, adamantium) that I reguarly re-craft so that I can upgrade their damage potential. It is helpful.

Paladins are heavily taxed when it comes to maintaining decent stats. With a wizzy, the two main stats you need to keep dumping into is constitution and intelligence. However, a paladin needs to maintain points in strength, wisdom, charisma, and constitution. So, you're kinda spread thin in that department. In upper level quests, it isn't all that uncommon to get a +6 stat booster on a piece of equipment (ring, robe, helm, etc.) that can enhance your base stats. My thought is that you start planning what you need in that department and either craft it, get it from the AH, or work with what you get in your quest loot.

Anything that can boost your striding to 20% or over is usually really good. This is either boots or a ring. The Cannith boots of propulsion might be something to farm.

Feather falling equip is pretty much a standard, and it usually takes up either a ring or a boot slot.

Clerics and Pallys usually need decent armor. The plate armor in Crystal Cove has a +6 armor modifier off the bat, and a +5 booster to resistences. That doesn't suck. Plus you can upgrade it from time to time.

As someone mentioned, greensteel weapons are VERY nice (most people make them). Make repeated Shroud runs to get the materials. Plus the Shroud is a decent source for the materials you need to craft Outsider Bane weapons.

The dragontouched stuff out of the Reaver's Refuge series is kinda nice. You can mix and match what you want on your armor item, and make it pretty powerful.

A stoneskin clicky is helpful (my greensteel weapon has one), and something that give you a blur enhancement is pretty helpful too (I think the attribute is either called Dusk or Twilight).

On the wizzy forefront - as people mentioned - the Amrath belts with the set bonus is nice. If you are a Pale Master, the Marbar event has a robe that is suited to PMs. The new content for MoUD has a helm that has a necromancy focus on it - another good PM piece of gear. Crystal Cove has the ornamented dagger (which I've farmed this time around), and the the Cunning Trinket. Plus there are the House Cannith quests (alchemical scepters or staves that you can craft), and greensteel items.

Another thing you might want to consider is flagging yourself for the Dreaming Dark quests, and doing the three runs it takes on casual to farm for Ioun stones. Wizzys tend to be con-starved (because there is a lot of focus on int for spell penetration) so getting either the int-focused ioun stone or the con-focused ioun stone (pink, I think) and upgrading it with a Crystal Disk of horrors is really helpful.

Any gear that gives you a +2 or better in an area of a specific discipline (necromancy, enchantement, conjuration, etc.) is also kind of a critical item to have. A +2 is not uncommon, but anything higher than that is kinda rare or can only be gotten from epic loot.

And then there is crafting. However, I've had a hard time justifying crafting for casters as the loot I get from a quest tends to be superior than what I'm able to craft.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...