Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I confess, that despite the fact that this will eat my little guild alive, I suspicion five of six of us will be all over this, I WANTS IT. I still replay Morrowind and Oblivion over and over along with Skyrim. I get stupid excited if I find a cool new mod out for them. And the modders still occasionally make stuff for them, that is a true testement to the awesomeness of Elder Scrolls. When new mods are still popping up nearly a decade later.

So I have hopes that this will be awesome too. Now I"m going to stick my head in the sand and not read spoilers about it, I like to find out as I go and not know it all before I get in.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

People still get excited about MMOs?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    They do... and they go right back to what they were doing 1 month after the new shiney comes out and it was nowhere near what was promised.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

within your base of operations, enacting fatal attacks upon your conscripts

Default Scan of the article

Scan of GI article.

Some interesting things stated in that article, but this makes me concerned:

"Recreating the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO...."
    Not 100% sure what the means, but if it means anything like the combat system or other game mechanics in WoW, that's already a large strike against it for me.

Not to put the cart before the horse, but the game's been in development for six years already and to hear they're styling the mechanics after WoW may not bode well for those of us who detest that kind of system...

...or it may not be as bad as I fear. Time will tell, I guess. I personally don't much care for Oblivion or Skyrim's melee combat system. Skyrim's is more palatable but still very lacking - it'll be interesting to see what they come up with for this game.
    Last edited by Ciaran; 05-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    ♣♣♣DON'T BAN ME, BRO!♣♣♣
    Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    I hope it has lower system requirements than skyrim. I can barely run skyrim on the lowest settings.

Start saving.
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

Too bad it's yet another wow clone.

Another MMO to copy the eldery giant and get mauled by him. When will they give up to try to out-WoW WoW? ToR wasnt high-budget enough? But alright, this one was in the pipeline since a long time, probably too late to turn the wheel.
    Thelanis: Mhagenta
    Keeper (Europe): Defy, Blhue, Spiderbot, Memek

Well, ToR showed me that a WoW style of play isn't that odious - so long as there is replay value. ToR has a great story arc for each class, but it always develops and pans out the same. I got bored kinda fast. So, I'm not discounting it out of hand for being a "clone", so long as there is variety in how it plays.

As for bugs, it'd be hard to top DDO's past year - the most problem riddled and bug ridden of it's existence to date. And it's not like Turbine has been that fast on fixing a lot of it's lingering bugs-catalog either. When was the first time you encountered the ladder bug? When was the most recent time? Can Fred exchange all Feats perfectly yet? Hasn't it become almost a side-game finding out what is broken after each update great and small? Just sayin'.

I'll hold out enthusiasm for an Elder Scrolls MMO because I love the world. I love it's depth, it's history, it's fairly expansive lore. I love the stories Bethesda has told within Tamriel. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because, for me, the Elder Scrolls games have deserved it after years of memorable experiences playing them.

Can't wait.
    Last edited by Memnir; 05-04-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I'll hold out enthusiasm for an Elder Scrolls MMO because I love the world. I love it's depth, it's history, it's fairly expansive lore. I love the stories Bethesda has told within Tamriel. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because, for me, the Elder Scrolls games have deserved it after years of memorable experiences playing them.

Can't wait.
    ^^THIS^^

That's it in a nutshell for me.

(I played the entire series... loved it)

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Community Member

Can't wait.
    Everything I've read since "Bethesda to release Elder Scrolls MMO" has made me less happy: the graphics, the combat, etc. If they can get Tamriel right they will have me hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by yawumpus View Post
    Everything I've read since "Bethesda to release Elder Scrolls MMO" has made me less happy: the graphics, the combat, etc. If they can get Tamriel right they will have me hooked.
    Don't count Bethesda out just yet.... they can develop a hell of a game.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

I'll just leave this here...

Suffice to say, the only MMOs to have truly interested me were a Shin Megami Tensei MMO (read as: Persona) and DDO. Nothing else has yet to grab my attention, free-to-play or otherwise. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by macubrae View Post
    A Dwarf's beard should be thick, strong and long enough to tuck under your belt (to keep kobolds from swinging on it and giants from swinging us by them).

Community Member

Love D&D
    Love MMOs
    Love Fantasy
    Want Future...

Everquest was my lifeline into MMOs and as new ones came out I tried them but reverted back to EQ (even with EQ2) its what holds the memories for me.

When my D&D group moved away my time arround the table was replaced by DDO (which I currently play). Money being an issue ment DDO became my only MMO. EQ has now gone F2P but IMHO they havent done it right.

Elder scrolls seems like it will be a good game. BUT I want something for the future. not Eve or Star Trek but something that feels like a fantasy MMO with guns! I want STARCRAFT ONLINE!

Only then will I consider playing 2 MMOs at the same time.
    1) "Quijenoth" Main Arcane Caster, 2life PM, 3life BrdTR, 4life FvS.
    2) "Vallaes" Melee Tank build, 2nd life Barbarian.
    3) "Elvraema" Experiments, 1-Mnk6/FvS14 Solo build. 2-"Dronker"

I still feel like the magic of these games is:

A. Everything is all about YOU...the whole world, the whole story... about you, cool game world and fun game...but like another person said, totally different when it is not all about you.

B. All of the exploration is a one time "wow" for some people, a 50 time "wow" for others but to each his own... it is different when you have to trek half way across the earth to have one wow moment verses having to do it over and over to get to your quest...

C. Mods...Mods....Mods... I think a huge amount of the PC player base plays PC version for the mods, and it is a culture that creates one of the most exciting parts of the game...player controlled expansion and easy buttons - it made oblivion way more enjoyable for me. But also has potential to ruin game if you take them to far I guess.

These probably can not exist in the MMO...

D. Combat as someone said before... the combat was not awful in Elder Scrolls, maybe even fairly good... however, you did not pay as much attention to it because it was incidental...it was more about exploring and the engaging story you unfolded.

It will be a challenge - but most of us would be forced to at least take a look at it.... I imagine. The thing I fear the most however, is that this will kill or take away from them continuing on with the current tradition... a truly fantastic one-off experience offline game. I worry about this.
    Last edited by Jeremiah179; 05-05-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Both articles kind of refer to the MMO as taking all the things that make the ES games so good, and kicking them to the curb in favor of standard MMO fare...

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3372...nouncement.htm

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/new-th...stem-detailed/

Quote Originally Posted by Delt View Post
    ... I really thought it was going to be a Fallout MMO first.
    I thought it'd be Fallout as well. ...

Fallout, at this point, would have to overcome another post-apoc game thats already been out for a couple years. Fallen Earth.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

All I can really say on this subject is if the devs for eso are smart they will go to tesnexus and pay attention to what mods rank in as the most popular and downloaded and follow that . Id also not mind if like the conan MMO this one had adult restricted age reqs and some in game nudity to help cement it. Yes adult themed mods are among the most popular for obilvion. I have a feeling the first MMO that truly caters to adult gamers will be the next WoW level success.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    This.
    People are so ignorant. Doesn't anyone remember Swotor, or Aion, or Rift? You know, those games that would supposedly "decimate guilds across many games". They all failed and all of them tried too hard to copy wow, which is a game that is purely popular because of their marketing when it was first released.

Furthermore, the elder scrolls MMO won't be developed by Bethesta, and their combat won't be real time. I.e. it will be another wow clone that falls short and is incredibly boring to a person that enjoys games like DDO.
    Active
    EU player since release, US player since the summer of 2009.

no way in hell can the magic of the elderscrolls series be captured in an mmo. Ill be amazed and an avid fan if it can but i sincerely doubt it.

crafting... including spell design (maybe.. maybe)
    story. (I doubt it)
    dialogue (no, not a frigin chance)
    the ability to act as you wish, the freedom. (hell no, because how do you give that to every one)

honestly the elder scrolls series has been going down hill in my opinion since oblivion. Skyrim is prety as hell, even if it is a blatant console port and it took me 2 days playing with the ini files to make it look nice and make the mouse respond in a timely fashion. But game play wise its hard for me to say which i thought was best, morowind or oblivion. Honestly I think the rot was starting to set in with oblivion, but it still had enough substance. To me skyrim lacked substance, so many samey dungeons, so many wow style quests - go to this cave and kill this bandit. I aprecaite thats due to the radiance quest engine, which given time is going to make a big difference to game play of many games. Im hoping its just that, and with time and expansions skyrim will be in by 'beloved games' section.

I honestly dont beleive that bugthesda could make an mmo, and of course reading the article their not. Its being done under licence. Now as much as I may take the mic, the guys at bugthesda are fantastic developers, for those that dont know despite the change in company names its actualy the same individuals that used to be part of blackisle - some of whom went on to obsidian - hence the link with fallout newvegas. What bugthesda loose in technical skill (hence all the bugs they are notorious for) they certainly make up for in passion and game design. Without a strong link there I do feel were just going to be looking at another wow clone.

Of course im going to check it out, but if the combat is slow paced button timing and the quests are kill 100 bores then im not gona stick around, and neither will the rest of the old school dagerfell/arena/morowind fan base.
    Ex Euro player from devourer: Charaters on orien(Officer of Under Estimated & Nightfox): Wrothgar, Cobolt, Shadeweaver, TheMetal, Metaphysical, Allfred, Razortusk and many more.
    stuff by me: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...02#post4938302

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12