Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84

Thread: New PvP System

  1. #1
    Community Member xxHazexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hudson N.C.
    Posts
    462

    Lightbulb New PvP System

    My thoughts on a new system, after leaving the game and coming back still thinking that turbine still really has a shiny gem on there hands and developed one of the greatest games to exist the only thing thats truly missing from the game is a good pvp system with the lack of content which i understand is being worked on and i can be patient.

    PvP System
    • Some general thoughts, players of course would have the options to "cue up" for pvp and then for those that choose not to would never have too.

      Incentives: Players that choose to pvp would have the options for added bonus to guild renown, Some sort of leaderboards for the group cue and solo cue, provided daily challenges for the pvp system, medals that you could trade for gear, trade-ins for different weapon skins? ingrediants, anyway you understand what im getting at here.

      Solo or Group
      Players would have the options to cue up solo or group that way the groups can give guilds a chance to stack up renown and a chance to play together towards other guilds.

      Games

      Ship defense: Maybe have sort of a "Battleship" field so to speak when the match starts each ship would hover over the teams base with a ladder and the goal would be to invade each others base and successfully grab a guild flag and carry it back to the opposing teams airship "capture the flag" this would provide a good defense as well as a good offense for the opposing teams so it would be balanced.


      Cover your bases: Players would have the opportunity to have a team death match with other players across the playing field players would have to get past like maybe npc guards as well to invade another base and the player to have survive the longest would have successfully captured the teams base and scored a point.

      Free for all: A good place to relax for any tired of the grind for xp or loots player in ddo, I understand you pain so what a better place to come and unwind? Bring your friends and lets have a massive death match this would also give turbine the ability to work on bigger instances with more players with the new physics engine maybe for say live action events.


    What are your thoughts?

    Just some more food for thought, Omm Nom Nom Nom.
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

    Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

  2. #2
    Community Member MsEricka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Winnipeg Canada
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    You lost me at PvP.. but seriously guild renown in PvP?

    /HECK NO

  3. #3
    Community Member xxHazexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hudson N.C.
    Posts
    462

    Arrow PvP

    Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    You lost me at PvP.. but seriously guild renown in PvP?

    /HECK NO
    I've noticed that players are strongly against it but pvp isn't such a bad thing in fact it's really a great activity to take part in a good majority of players generally like pvp and don't want to comment due to the opposition, Anyway for example console games proivde a good source to find player vs. player content it's also a good way to generate revenue and attract new customers who like a good pvp system that earns them bragging rights.
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

    Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

  4. #4
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    16,598

    Default

    I would not mind seeing PvP options expanded, and the games you mentioned would be nice additions. However I think that there should never be any kind of tangible reward in DDO associated with PvP. Including renown.



    The best change to PvP would be putting it in it's own instance - and out of the public taverns.
    53461

  5. #5
    The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Dandonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,275

    Default

    If there are going to be PvP rewards, then IMO they should only affect PvP. So no renown - and renown for winning PvP matches would be too easy to exploit, I think.

    Adding a second form of renown for PvP might be too complicated, but I wouldn't mind PvP giving PvP rewards. It wouldn't affect me at all then
    It's definitely an N-word.

  6. #6
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,922

    Default

    Many games that have PVP rewards also have measures in place to prevent exploitation. Whats stopping a player from dual boxing, racking up a 100% win ratio on their desired toon, and taking full advantage of the system with no effort put in whatsoever?
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  7. #7
    RangerDangerGrrl Kawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    At you. Not 'with you'.
    Posts
    1,616

    Default ^^^

    what he said

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xxHazexx View Post
    I've noticed that players are strongly against it but pvp isn't such a bad thing in fact it's really a great activity to take part in a good majority of players generally like pvp and don't want to comment due to the opposition, Anyway for example console games proivde a good source to find player vs. player content it's also a good way to generate revenue and attract new customers who like a good pvp system that earns them bragging rights.
    Majority of players? Can I get hard data on that? Of the 40 or so people I know in game. There is one that's a PvPer. The other 39 hate even going into the Lobster. 1/40 does not a majority make.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

    "Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

  9. #9
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I think that there should never be any kind of tangible reward in DDO associated with PvP. Including renown.

    The best change to PvP would be putting it in it's own instance - and out of the public taverns.
    Well said.

  10. #10
    Community Member Delt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Many games that have PVP rewards also have measures in place to prevent exploitation. Whats stopping a player from dual boxing, racking up a 100% win ratio on their desired toon, and taking full advantage of the system with no effort put in whatsoever?
    Innovative thought... Diminishing returns.

    When a suggestion is vague, lobbing criticisms of this sort is silly...unless the theory is No PvP system can prevent exploitation (bollocks).

    DDO can never have real pvp (world). It can have artificial arena pvp though - instanced/queued. I wouldn't mind if there was some benefit to pvp, such as leaderboards, titles or even some cosmetic pieces. But that kinda fluff doesn't directly earn money for Turbine...so I suspect we will either see a major pvp patch (aka Monsterplay, etc) or no pvp patch. The end.

  11. #11
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I would not mind seeing PvP options expanded, and the games you mentioned would be nice additions. However I think that there should never be any kind of tangible reward in DDO associated with PvP. Including renown.
    I dunno. Maybe if there was a guild round robin tourney type event where the top winners get a guild renown award. Or maybe even something that drops collectable turn ins, like the challenges, where if you collect enough of them you can turn them in for guild pots, xp pots, etc.

    The best change to PvP would be putting it in it's own instance - and out of the public taverns.
    Agreed.

  12. #12
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmaxhunter View Post
    Majority of players? Can I get hard data on that? Of the 40 or so people I know in game. There is one that's a PvPer. The other 39 hate even going into the Lobster. 1/40 does not a majority make.
    Self-selection. If you were a PvPer, 39 of the 40 players you knew might also enjoy PvP. Only Turbine could know for sure.

  13. #13
    Community Member xxHazexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hudson N.C.
    Posts
    462

    Post Feedback

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I would not mind seeing PvP options expanded, and the games you mentioned would be nice additions. However I think that there should never be any kind of tangible reward in DDO associated with PvP. Including renown.



    The best change to PvP would be putting it in it's own instance - and out of the public taverns.
    I appreciate the responses, Mem i have to agree i see the issue with my suggestion with the guild renown however some sort of pvp gear would be cool for pvp use only and arena's are already a private instance and there sort of a cue there but the general ddo community on any server hardly realizes it exists. Just needs a general re work. Let's make some progress!
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

    Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

  14. #14
    Community Member Niv-mizzet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Smith Arkansas. Yes, some people here actually DO get on the internet!
    Posts
    299

    Default

    I think it would be kind of nice to give out guild renown in pvp. I mean it pretty much fits exactly what renown is for. "Getting well-known for doing stuff."

    Have it diminish significantly over like 5 matches, to where the 6th and further in a single day give none or extremely little. (obviously with no renown for brawling, just the matches.)

    I don't pvp, but I will never understand the absolute hatred it seems to draw from most of the forum. If Timmy wants his ball to be pink and he's happy with a pink ball, let it be pink. You don't gotta be all "No red is best color, pink is not allowed."

  15. #15
    Community Member MsEricka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Winnipeg Canada
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xxHazexx
    I've noticed that players are strongly against it but pvp isn't such a bad thing in fact it's really a great activity to take part in a good majority of players generally like pvp and don't want to comment due to the opposition, Anyway for example console games proivde a good source to find player vs. player content it's also a good way to generate revenue and attract new customers who like a good pvp system that earns them bragging rights.
    lolwut?

    Lets break this down

    Quote Originally Posted by xxHazexx
    a good majority of players generally like pvp
    I can say a good majority of dentists are addicted to cocaine if I only ask one dentist who is already addicted. You state the majority of players like PvP, but in my experience it is an extreme minority of players that I know that like PvP and the rest want it removed.

    Quote Originally Posted by xxHazexx
    console games proivde a good source to find player vs. player content
    DDO is not a console game, I honestly don't see how you can compare the two. Most console games that have pvp are pvp based or have checks and balances that make pvp "fair". DDO is not pvp based and is in no way balanced between classes.

    Quote Originally Posted by xxHazexx
    it's also a good way to generate revenue and attract new customers who like a good pvp system
    I absolutely disagree. Adding more PvP will bring more free players to the game who will continue to use resources while contributing nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by xxHazexx
    that earns them bragging rights.
    Again with the majority/minority thing. Few people I know care about pvp and even less will care about rankings and bragging. Some may like it, and I can't take that away from them but in the end since DDO isn't a pvp game, a ranking system means very little.

  16. #16
    Community Member xxHazexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hudson N.C.
    Posts
    462

    Lightbulb PvP spells

    Random thought, wouldn't it be nice to have spells implemented like the Fly spell only for pvp other then just use in RR?
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

    Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

  17. #17
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post

    Adding more PvP will bring more free players to the game who will continue to use resources while contributing nothing.
    What facts can you possibly be basing this conclusion on?

  18. #18
    Community Member xxHazexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hudson N.C.
    Posts
    462

    Arrow PvP System.

    Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    lolwut?

    Lets break this down



    I can say a good majority of dentists are addicted to cocaine if I only ask one dentist who is already addicted. You state the majority of players like PvP, but in my experience it is an extreme minority of players that I know that like PvP and the rest want it removed.



    DDO is not a console game, I honestly don't see how you can compare the two. Most console games that have pvp are pvp based or have checks and balances that make pvp "fair". DDO is not pvp based and is in no way balanced between classes.



    I absolutely disagree. Adding more PvP will bring more free players to the game who will continue to use resources while contributing nothing.



    Again with the majority/minority thing. Few people I know care about pvp and even less will care about rankings and bragging. Some may like it, and I can't take that away from them but in the end since DDO isn't a pvp game, a ranking system means very little.
    Cordovan: We offer a PvP section of the forum to allow players to discuss the various aspects of PvP they enjoy (or don't enjoy.) Players who utilize the available PvP systems in DDO should be allowed to discuss PvP in this section of the forums. To encourage this discussion, we offer this bit of advice:

    If the topic is about whether PvP in general terms is good, then a player would be keeping in topic by saying they don't like PvP. However, if a player is saying "I have X comment to say about a specific part of the PvP system" that player should not have their thread disrupted by off-topic posts which amount to essentially, "I don't like PvP." A player should be allowed to make suggestions they feel would improve DDO's PvP system without having to deal with off-topic posts as well.

    If your only contribution to PvP threads is that you do not like PvP in DDO, you should not be posting in threads meant to discuss certain aspects of PvP, or threads that suggest improvements to the PvP system. If your goal is to harass those who do utilize this game option, you should not be posting in these threads whatsoever.

    Please allow players who want to discuss PvP in DDO to have a place to do so. Harassing people for liking PvP, or leading threads off-topic by making posts which amount to, "I don't like PvP and don't think it should be in the game" can be an infractable offense.

    Remember to follow the Community Guidelines. Thanks!
    This topic was created purely for suggestion on how to make ddo's pvp system better not picked apart by negativity and no "room" for improvements comments. Suggestions and general ideas appreciated as well as factual comparison on elements in the topic that logically relate argumentative discussion.
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

    Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

  19. #19
    Community Member xxHazexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hudson N.C.
    Posts
    462

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by madmaxhunter View Post
    Majority of players? Can I get hard data on that? Of the 40 or so people I know in game. There is one that's a PvPer. The other 39 hate even going into the Lobster. 1/40 does not a majority make.
    I wasn't making a reference to going into the lobster and hopping from a balcony i meant the CtF maps and Arena's their pretty fun if you can get the guildies to come and other geared players that don't pws, neg lvl or dispell you.
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

    Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

  20. #20
    Community Member MsEricka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Winnipeg Canada
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xxHazexx
    This topic was created purely for suggestion on how to make ddo's pvp system better not picked apart by negativity and no "room" for improvements comments. Suggestions and general ideas appreciated as well as factual comparison on elements in the topic that logically relate argumentative discussion.
    You missed the point of my post. You state you want "factual comparison" but yet you say the majority of players enjoy PvP while my experience is actually opposite. Your "facts" are skewed by your opinion but you are stating them as facts to attempt to win your argument.

    As for the rest of your post, I am entitled to my opinion just as you are to yours. But I will not sit by while you make statements that are not based on statistics.

    Quote Originally Posted by xxHazexx
    players that don't pws, neg lvl or dispell you.
    PvP has no rules, these things are allowed ad nauseum.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload