Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Why don't wizards and sorcs get the Deconstruct and Damage spells?

Hi,

It seems that they get the repair spells, logically - if you have the arcane ability to help something, you probably also have the arcane ability to destroy it. (Why I am using the word logical, and the word arcane in the same sentence I don't know).

Was there a rationale? Or is it just that the House Cannith quests - where destroying constructs became very important - came out after the Wizard spell set. Is it s game balance thing?

Just Curious.

Community Member

Prolly more to do with making the arti class have its own unique feel if I had to take a guess, not that I think the class really needs anything to feel unique imo.

Do agree though, doesn't seem like there would be any reason they couldn't learn it. They could always just say it comes from arti's super understanding of constructs though, easier than changing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tusket View Post
    Hi,

It seems that they get the repair spells, logically - if you have the arcane ability to help something, you probably also have the arcane ability to destroy it. (Why I am using the word logical, and the word arcane in the same sentence I don't know).

Was there a rationale? Or is it just that the House Cannith quests - where destroying constructs became very important - came out after the Wizard spell set. Is it s game balance thing?

Just Curious.
    Edit: Seems I was wrong... Wizards and sorcerers do not get the spells after all. :/
    Last edited by Ziindarax; 05-03-2012 at 04:39 AM.
    Ziind Stargazer - Level 12 fighter/6 Barbarian/2 rogue Half-Orc (Neutral Good) - Formerly a level 20 Paladin Human - Orien

Fernian Summer Carnival

Quote Originally Posted by Ziindarax View Post
    Wizards and sorcerers do get the deconstruct/damage spells
    No, they do not. Artificer only, hence the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Qzipoun View Post
    No, they do not. Artificer only, hence the OP
    Even if the wizards/sorcs did get inflict damage spells, no sensible/experienced arcane would take it because it is only situationally useful (specifically, and almost only, in pvp), and other spells would be far better suited for the job (such as SLA's, DoTs, Insta-kills, and Crowd Control).
    Ziind Stargazer - Level 12 fighter/6 Barbarian/2 rogue Half-Orc (Neutral Good) - Formerly a level 20 Paladin Human - Orien

Fernian Summer Carnival

Community Member

On a related note, why do heal spells fix warforged for half but repair spells don't work on humans at all? Doesn't seem fair.

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post
    On a related note, why do heal spells fix warforged for half but repair spells don't work on humans at all? Doesn't seem fair.
    Warforged have organic components while the other races have no construct components (unless you take the self-forged feat, which is exclusive to the Artificer); Repair spells only work if you have construct parts.

Fernian Summer Carnival

I think air savants sould get some of the ARTI lightning spells as well....

There is quite a few arty spells that could/sold be added to the arcane list.
    Gasoline(tr) Favored Soul - 5th Life
    Deadwall(tr) - Soul Survivor - 2nd Life
    Gasolinex - Pale Master
    Gasomatic Systematic - Bard

Community Member

Hate to repeat something that alot of other people have said over and over again in the last years but...

Warforged are not robots! They are living constructs! Thats why heal spells work on them just not as good as repair spells.

Humans(Fleshies) on the other hand do not have anything in common with constructs. Thats why repair spells dont work on them at all.
    Wayfinder: Drache-V26, Taragon-V4 Quarterstaff-Bot, Iridal-Cleric, Xar-Level 4 Mule

Quote Originally Posted by karnokvolrath View Post
    I think air savants sould get some of the ARTI lightning spells as well....

There is quite a few arty spells that could/sold be added to the arcane list.
    This. Air savants do not have enough lightning spells as it is, and the extra damage boost toward electric spells would help mitigate the lack of said spells.

Fernian Summer Carnival

Quote Originally Posted by Ziindarax View Post
    This. Air savants do not have enough lightning spells as it is, and the extra damage boost toward electric spells would help mitigate the lack of said spells.
    I was actaully suprised when they didnt get them. Air savants are already low on options, it just makes sence.
    Gasoline(tr) Favored Soul - 5th Life
    Deadwall(tr) - Soul Survivor - 2nd Life
    Gasolinex - Pale Master
    Gasomatic Systematic - Bard

Quote Originally Posted by karnokvolrath View Post
    I was actaully suprised when they didnt get them. Air savants are already low on options, it just makes sence.
    I also think they should receive the upcoming Call lightning spell (or a version thereof).

Fernian Summer Carnival

Default Most Wiz/Sorc are overpowered anyway...

... especially compared to Fav. / Cleric combat spells at same levels. Plainly spoken, an Arty is not the big combat spell throwing machine either. Artys are very limited with instakill or crowd controll spells indeed. Since most arty spells have prolonged cooldown times, rounding out the Air Savant with Arty spells to my mind would be ok. The longer cooldown times will limit their use anyway. But making these lightning spells generally available to Wiz/Sorc to my mind would be unnecessary. Especially the Wiz has enough other spell options at hand to do damage and will simply not need these spells.

Community Member

Arcanes aren't supposed to have any repair spells according to D&D rules if I'm not mistaken.
    Ceruleus ~ Nnomad ~ Nnia ~ Nnurgh ~ Cynnical
    Cannith

Cause "fleshies" dont have construct components. Also, warforged are living creatures. Think of them as a homunculus. A humunculus is a living creature created by alchemical means, but they are not created by normal means, such as having a birth mother, as are all other races. Warforged are made out of wood, some metal, and organic materials. They are as alive as the elf standing right next to them, but with a different bodily composition.

"Hikari datte, yami datte, kitto"

Into light, into darkness, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by nni View Post
    ... according to D&D rules ....
    See, that's the problem right there. There's DDO, and D&D.

Apples, Oranges.

=/=
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Arcanes aren't supposed to have any repair spells according to D&D rules if I'm not mistaken.
    In the Eberron setting I believe they do. Can't confirm this as I have 0 books for Eberron.

http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/...r-light-damage

They're living constructs. Cure and Heal are Positive Energy spells, which regenerates life-force. Because the Warforged are living constructs and not biologically alive, Positive Energy is only half effective on them. (A Paladin's Lay on Hands is Divine power, not Positive Energy, so it's not subject to the 50% effectiveness.)

Arcane Repair spells are Transmutation (not Conjuration like Positive Energy Healing spells) that physically mend damage, and thus are ineffective at regenerating life-force like Cure or Heal.
    If your "Known Issues" list needs a freaking scroll bar, then one of you needs to go.

In the Eberron campaign setting they do have full spell list access to Repair Light Damage, Reconstruct etc, and DDO is set in Eberron, so that's not breaking with D&D rules.

DDO Artificers are different from D&D Artificers though.

Community Member

It seems to me to be a rather arbitrary decision on Turbine's part.

Why allow Arcanes single-target and mass-target Repair spells but not Deconstruct? Or why give Artificiers Deconstruct but not any other Repair-type (or, in this case, the reverse) spells?

I'm guessing that Arcanes got the Repair line of spells because there was no Artificier class in the game at that time and there had to be some means by which to efficiently heal Warforged. But you do have the class now, so why not take all of the Repair spells and give them to Artificiers- as long as Wizards and Sorcs get something to replace them, of course? It only makes sense that an Artificier would now how to best heal and damage a construct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast