Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    Barb rage is a bad idea for a caster I assumed u knew that. I think that might prevent invites even if u intend to heal. I don't think I have ever seen it so ur OP is a valid concern. I have seen barbs take a slash of cleric to self heal.

As for sprint...

I got by with couple Expeditious Retreat items to move fast at low lvl. No need to splash for it.
    But Sprint Boost + Barbarian Fast Movement + Expeditious Retreat = Better than just Expeditious Retreat.

Also barb gives some nice bonus HP at low levels and Martial Weapon Prof.
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    But Sprint Boost + Barbarian Fast Movement + Expeditious Retreat = Better than just Expeditious Retreat.

Also barb gives some nice bonus HP at low levels and Martial Weapon Prof.
    I think those who are complaining about the barb splash fail to understand a couple of important things:

1. One barb level on a cleric gives a static fast movement.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Fast_Movemen..._class_feat%29

Fast Movement (barbarian)

Usage: Passive
    Prerequisite: Barbarian level 1

Description

The Fast Movement class feat allows a Barbarian to move 10% faster.
    Note

Unlike the PnP versions of the D&D 3.5 ruleset, Barbarians in DDO do not lose this movement speed increase if they wear heavy armor, nor under any other circumstances. It is a permanent effect.
    It is passive, not activated, and does not need to be maintained as a clicky of any kind. It also stacks.

2. Sprint boost 1

=http://ddowiki.com/page/Barbarian_enhancements

Barbarian Sprint Boost I: Grants 35% bonus to running speed.
    AP Cost: 1 Level: 1 Progression: 0 No requirements
    This is an activated clicky. It allows one to cover the map quite well. Ideal for zerging or running in between zones to and from a quest. It's a well spent one action point.

3. About Rage

I wouldn't personally use it unless soloing. However +4 str/con for con mod X 6 seconds is a nice damage boost. Combined with the radiant servant aura it makes clearing trash mobs at mid to high levels very possible. Add a little divine might and that's some nice damage. It's well known that it locks out spellcasting and scroll use, etc. I personally do not know if the raidiant burst can be used while it's active. If it can however, I'd use it in grouping with competent players.

Players that are used to running multiclasses manage these things because they understand how the ability works, and have in mind definite applications for them. While I wouldn't even recommend such a split for a newer player, I'd be pretty confident that Bacab knows what the abilities are, how they work, and when to use or not use them.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Community Member

+10 % run speed = +10% exp
    go barbarian
    heck, take human dragonmark of passage at 1 and respec when you get striders

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I'd take all of the above unless the character's name was "Nohealz4U."
    I heard that guy wasn't a terrible cleric even if he was a little bit new to the game
    Cannith - Noehealz, Protectorjon, Noebuffs, Mortion

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    Fast Movement. Clerics are clunky and slow.
    Now, moving faster is always nice, and a few classes do get speed boosts of various sorts. But Cleric is no slower than any other non-special-boosted class.

Quote Originally Posted by morticianjohn View Post
    I heard that guy wasn't a terrible cleric even if he was a little bit new to the game
    I just made up that name as a joke to make a point. I'm certainly not taking a pot shot at anyone who has a character with that name.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by assimilateur View Post
    If they decline you based on your splash then it says more about them than about you, and you probably dodge a bullet by not getting into their groups anyway.

This is especially true since if they knew anything about clerics, they'd be aware that 17 levels of that class is enough to cover raid healing no matter what you add to that.
    Just TR'ed my battle cleric and I am seeing a lot of discrimination the 2nd time around. I've been denied into several pugs because people seem to think splashed clerics can't heal. If I get one more tell asking "do you fight or heal?" I am gonna go crazy. I mean because we all know that clerics couldn't possibly both heal and melee in a group.

But yeah I completely agree these groups are usually terrible anyway so its no big deal.

pure 20 clerics make great battle clerics... only need 3 feats to heal - quicken, maximize, empower healing which on a human leaves 5 feats for melee. PA + Tough + 3 combat feats for example.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrincipal View Post
    pure 20 clerics make great battle clerics... only need 3 feats to heal - quicken, maximize, empower healing which on a human leaves 5 feats for melee. PA + Tough + 3 combat feats for example.
    I think it can work but to me the advantages of splashing...say 2 levels of fighter far outweigh what you get by staying pure.

I've run this build on Mothyr for years except she's a FvS. Have fun with it.

I'll tell you if you take care of your own curses.

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    In regular questing, absolutely and without reservation.

In a raid setting I would ask if you were comfortable healing or if I need to continue to attempt to get that role filled.

This is subjective however, as I've had many fun experiences with solid players on non cookie cutter builds. Generally speaking however you will run into issues mingling with the population at large. This game is filled with unpleasant labels and assumptions.

I've seen many a 18Cleric/2Fighter, 19Cleric/1Barbarian get disparaging remarks and/or denied access to raids. It's irritated me to the point that I'll send them a tell and start up a different group. The number of players who understand build goals are few though in pugging. You might be much more comfortable and less frustrated running in channels or a static group with this build.

The fact that I feel the need to point this out makes me sad.
    This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Once geared out, though, the toon should be awesome, and fun to play.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

I'll tell you if you take care of your own curses.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Now, moving faster is always nice, and a few classes do get speed boosts of various sorts. But Cleric is no slower than any other non-special-boosted class.
    Oh, yes they are.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

So I am about to TR into a Cleric.

But first a preface...I have played multiple Divines and have healed pretty much anything and I KNOW that in general a Pure Cleric or Favored Soul is better/more powerful than a multiclass one.

My last few lives I have been a WF Arcane pretty much soloing or partying when friends are on...or if LFMs look interesting.

Anyway...I am going to make a multiclass Cleric. Final build will be 17CLR/1BRB/2FTR.

Essentially I *want* to make a battle cleric and I am unsure what the consensus is now...

There have been a LOT of "people discriminate against odd builds" threads out there.

SO I am putting this out there as a feeler.

Would you take a...

4Cleric/1Barbarian? (level 5 is where I plan on starting to group with others)

6Cleric/1 Barbarian?

12Cleric/1Barbarian/1Fighter?

12Cleric/1Barbarian/2Fighter?

17Cleric/1Barbarian/2Fighter into a RAID?

I plan on using 2 Deathnips and smacking things around and using a Min2 Great Axe on Bosses.

I am still unsure of whether I will go Horc or Human.

Anyway...what are your thoughts...does this build scream "Noob" or "fun"? Or would you think "Not optimal...no thanks"?
    My opinion is who cares as long as you can manage the drawbacks that come with the build. I would certainly not have a problem with it.

Just be prepared for
    the knock backs some will give you.
    the tells you will get asking you why
    the tells you will get asking if you can heal xyz raid you have applied for

The last one isn't bagging your build but the raid leader not making assumptions.

With the healing aura I reckon you will enjoy the build.

BTW I would go human, your dps will be lower but the extra feat and the human heal amp will give you more bang for buck with your aura.
    Milacias of Kyber

Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

Thank you everyone for the feedback...I am not as nervous about it anymore lol.

If a group wants to think I can't carry my weight...I am probably better off not in that group lol.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by phalaeo View Post
    Oh, yes they are.
    Well, I'm prepared to learn something new, if you have facts to present to me.

Please explain in detail the game mechanics of how Clerics are slower than any other class that doesn't have special speed boosts.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

You all got me curious. My cleric seems so much slower too.

I just took my level 8 cleric/ 1 fighter, level 9 wizzy and level 9 rogue and tested them out. Had them all run in a straight line from the harbor mailbox to the tree to the right of the bank. Took their striders off, made sure all had light loads.

My results...all the same. I'm suprised. It feels like I'm moving considerably faster when on my rogue.
    Last edited by axel15810; 05-04-2012 at 07:33 AM.

One reason I think clerics feel slow...

You are chasing people with movement speed and sprint boost (Ranger, Monk and barb). You also lack easy long duration expeditious retreat at low levels (arcanes can just cast it).

BTW if you notice...watch people TR a monk or a barb into their PLD life (common due to the healing amp PL being super). They complain incessantly about "how slow Palis are". In fact one buddy O had took 9 levels of monk (for ToD obviously also) for movement speed...then started taking PLD levels later (he also did his fight life like this) for a 9MNK/11Past life build...TRing the moment he hit 20.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Well, I'm prepared to learn something new, if you have facts to present to me.

Please explain in detail the game mechanics of how Clerics are slower than any other class that doesn't have special speed boosts.
    It's cuz they wear 5 piece Abashai sets and cant craft striding rings

@ the OP, the only suggestion I have is to take Barb at level one to get you martial weapons/speed, then go 12 cleric levels for the aura and key spells (Heal and BB)

Take the fighter levels after, thats about when you need the extra dps feats/enhancements to match the increased mob HPs around that level.

Thank you everyone for the feedback...I am not as nervous about it anymore lol.

If a group wants to think I can't carry my weight...I am probably better off not in that group lol.
    Actually I'll be doing a very similar thing with Halfdeadd when he gets to his cleric lives. It's a bit of a ways off as he has one more sorc life, then 3 fvs lives beforehand. But the build, though obviously not intended to be, is great for soloing 1-20. I'm too lazy to farm out deathnips, so much more likely to go either two handed weapon fighting or just use some crafted picks. We'll see what happens when he gets there
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Community Member

Would you trust me?
    No.

Probably not. Most of the guys on here are divines that think they can do whatever they want as long as you have 17 levels of Cleric. And you can; if you have no problems getting invites or only run with friends that know you. I think you will have problems otherwise.

I can barely understand your reasons for the Barb lvl. Run speed only? Really? Do you want to out run pure melee builds to the fight? I barely believe you as a empathetic fellow divine that you won't Barb rage when you shouldn't. I am just putting myself in a non divine party leader role that does not know you. Pugs barely understand splashing a cleric with Monk for evasion and DCs let alone Fighter, but then u add Barbarian... forget it.

The biggest advantage of a Divine is not waiting for parties to form. They usually wait for you. That saves you a lot more time than run speed. Does Barb sprint and striding/exped retreat stack? 20% from zero is a lot, but going from 20% to 30% is not as big a change I would think. And 20% of 90% is even less.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 05-05-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast