Default Attn: Orien Guilds...help me teach..

So rececently myself, my wife, and my son have joined Blood, Bath, and Beyond as casual players with the intent to finish gearng up and learn raids. My wife and I generally Duo everything, and aside for the occasional Demon Queen, do not group much. My son however, groups all the time. I watch him quite a bit (when we're not playing together) and consider him a decent player (all 1st life 32-point no-twink) compared to the PuG's he usually runs with. Having the newly joined guild name attached to him has causedsome specific attention to him thus bringing his play to a higher standard of scrutiny.

A quick point-of-fact on his behalf...1st time playing a sorcerer...leveled from 4-10 over the weekend and generated over 26k renown (on guild sheet) doing it....The boy plays ALOT and is a machine until the higher levels where his experience dwindles.

So here's the problem...apparently when on his sorcerer, he likes to zerg...this is usually fine, as those who I've seen him with are also zerging...i.e. to the best of my knowledge, all xp runs where time is a factor. He does die occasionaly, but i never thought in excess or common enough to be a problem...I could be wrong.

There have been some comments to our leader in the form of "how did he get into your guide?". This is ambiguous at best. I'm not saying complaints are not warranted, what I'm asking is how can he improve and what is he doing wrong? We thought he was doing quite well considering some of the multiple TR's he's tried to keep up with. and it comes as a bit of a shock to him that he was apparently doing poorly.

So please use this as means to address any potential issues he may be causing Skirting Forum guildlines here, so not posting his name of course (he is not on the forums, but reads over my shoulder) Please PM me, in-game mail to ShadowFlash or Shadowflaxe, or via /tells to same with any comments or problems.

So far, massiv has done a fine job of mediating this so far, and I thank him for his patience if in fact he is a problem.

Thank You
    ShadowFlash
    All the math your brain can handle concerning Divine Punishment
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=344769

Community Member

A death here and there on a first life is harmless, provided he's pulling his weight, trying to heal, and being useful. If hes any kind of good, he has enough hp, heavy fort, and plenty of spells to handle himself. Judging by your post, he will likely meet this criteria.

Everyone dies. The thirty ninth TR completionist with every epic item and piece of twink gear in the game will roll a natural 1 versus Hold Monster, and get killed because he forgot to wear an item. It happens. That some people are considering your son a poor player is jealousy, or their own lack of experience.* The biggest thing you might try to impress on him is to slow it down just a wee bit. If he's not top of the kill count or front of the pack, its no biggie. Provided he chucks out the occasional spell, I doubt anyone will gripe.

*I have never played with any member of BBAB, so I don't know your level of skill. Assuming you are any where near the skill level of other high level guilds, I doubt highly that you or your family are being liabilities.

Thanks for the reply Var...he's a Warforged Sorc...20/16 nuker build..so he can, and does self-heal...not sure how attuned he is to healing other warforged in the party, but he also has a level 15 FvS so he is experienced at healing. Like I said, he leveled from 4-10 in a matter of days, so ATM he is a tad undergeared, but I have no idea when these complaints happened during his streak.

As far as skill, it's impossible for me peronally to judge this comparatively between other high level guides as I have simply not grouped enough with those guilds to accurately form an opinion. What's good to me, may be poor play to them. He does lead kill counts often (whatever that's worth)....and when he does die in a quest, he's usually not the only one...but those could be the random PuG spots....and as such, he should be doing better.

He also purposely rarely uses his mic, as he's found perception changes dramatically when most PuG's here his voice and realize he's a teenager...lol.

ShadowFlash
    All the math your brain can handle concerning Divine Punishment
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=344769

The Hatchery

Well - it's probably not anything to do with your guild.

It's just that most folks don't like "zergers" because of the snowball aggro effect. If your son runs around the dungeon hitting stuff, chances are dungeon alert will climb up pretty high. Also, most folks like to run as a team. I mean, your son did join a group - not to solo a dungeon, but to run together. The main point of zerging is to finish the quest ASAP - and it's not how everyone plays. Some folks prefer finish fast, and others prefer to "get into the story" so to speak.

Myself, I believe that zerging causes more party wipes than lag. There have been too many times where I have to pick up soulstones, disable the trap that killed them all, kill the mobs one at a time (bluff ftw!), tiptoe past everything else to the shrine. Only to rinse and repeat the process =P. Please note, however, that "good" zerging leads to quick completions, and more xp per minute (TRs go nuts over this). We really should call "good zerging" a different term. Like - PROTOSS.

The best way to "zerg" erm, protoss-style is to actually know the map well enough to complete as fast as you can without compromising the party and the quest. It's the bad zerging that leads most people to want to toss their soulstones into lava (or other very awesome places, like ten and a half seconds from a shrine).

I guess, main advice is only zerg if you know the map well enough - and with a group who knows the map well enough as well. If you do zerg without knowing the map, and without a knowing group, you'll most probably be just another soulstone for my pack, nyahahaha.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFlash View Post
    Thanks for the reply Var...he's a Warforged Sorc...20/16 nuker build..so he can, and does self-heal...not sure how attuned he is to healing other warforged in the party, but he also has a level 15 FvS so he is experienced at healing. Like I said, he leveled from 4-10 in a matter of days, so ATM he is a tad undergeared, but I have no idea when these complaints happened during his streak.

As far as skill, it's impossible for me peronally to judge this comparatively between other high level guides as I have simply not grouped enough with those guilds to accurately form an opinion. What's good to me, may be poor play to them. He does lead kill counts often (whatever that's worth)....and when he does die in a quest, he's usually not the only one...but those could be the random PuG spots....and as such, he should be doing better.

He also purposely rarely uses his mic, as he's found perception changes dramatically when most PuG's here his voice and realize he's a teenager...lol.

ShadowFlash
    He's not a healer; tossing an occasional Reconstruct is nice, but its not his job to keep that 0 heal amp barbarian up. Being under geared is like being a 32 point build; on a first lifer, is basically a requirement. Provided he has hit points and heavy fort, he can't really do much better.

Regarding skill, its a learning experience. The more he zergs, the better he'll get. It just takes time. I'd love to have his name so I can quest with him and see what kind of "problems" people have with him. Probably just him stealing their kills. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFlash View Post
    So far, massiv has done a fine job of mediating this so far, and I thank him for his patience if in fact he is a problem.
    This is a good question. The only problem I can foresee with your son, would be Two Fold:

First: Play Style:

If he is Zerging in groups that are not zerging or don't want to zerg, that normally tends to really tick people off. But if he join BYOH/ZERG/IP runs, then all is gold, and Zerg Hard!.

So, simply put, not going at the pace of the group tends to annoy the rest of the group, especially if he then dies. That makes him look like a noob to Zerg and then Die, in a Group that had no intentions to Zerg to start with.

Thus, If his play skill was brought into question, then it might be a case of not pacing with the group.

Secondly: Game Knowledge:

It may have nothing to do with his "zerging" skill at all, or even his gaming skill at all.

But perhaps his lack of game knowledge. IE: What gear to get, What Quests have the good loot, how to stack items, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

Just thoughts to ponder.

Since I don't try to Zerg in game, I would not be a good judge to tell you if your son is doing it well or not. But I hope you are enjoying your DDO time.

Community Member

This is coming a little bit late but...

The best piece of advice that I can offer (to you/your son) is to communicate...a lot. Ask things like "How are we going to run this?" and he should try to mention things that he's capable of doing like "I can solo this wing/tower/section if you like". It helps if he can open communication with a group so they have a chance to say "No, we're all going to stick together for this run" and then he knows to stick with the group and try not to run off...or if he wants to find another group to run with. If he isn't sure what the group wants to do saying something like "I move through quests really fast, so if I'm going too quickly let me know and I'll slow down" at the start of the quest can be helpful.

Though to be honest, it sounds like your sons play style just matches that of the experienced squillionth life TR's instead of the 28/32-point first lifer's who are still learning the quests and figuring out their own play styles.

In the end though, I hope y'all continue to have fun and that this all settles into good times with good friends.