Default Couple Questions

First: What's up with DR? While running through an at-level Chains of Flame, I got seriously annoyed by archers interrupting me as I tried to open doors. So, noting that the arrows were only doing 5-6 damage each (solo hard). So I hit my stoneskin clicky, which should be providing 10 DR and protecting me completely from the arrows (at least long enough to get through the door). Instead, the arrows were dropped to 2-4 damage, even though the combat log was saying the damage was being dropped by 10. Bug?

Second: For small guild renown issues, I've read from the DDOWiki:
    The account-based multiplier is the Modified Guild Size + 10.
    However, I've also read on the forums (I think one of Vanshilar's posts), that for small guilds with <10 accounts the modified size is placed at 10 regardless (resulting in a account-based multiplier of 20). Is this true?
    Fear the Koala.
    Jial, Wyllywyl, and an ever-changing list of alts.

DR is scaled with dungeon scaling, similar to inbound damage.

Sad, but true.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

In regards to the DR, did you have any other source of DR before the stoneskin? Stalwart Defender? Adamant Armor? Spearblock?

If so you might have already been reducing the arrow damage by some amount and then when the 10 DR kicked in it just picked up the difference between the two.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Jhasmyne, Desideratum, Temere, Debacchor, Fidicina, Gregorii
    Ubique Eo, Invenio me esse ducem hominium.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post

Sad, but true.
    This. DR takes effect before dungeon scaling. That 5-6 damage hit you took would actually be a >10 damage hit without scaling. The DR takes off 10 of the pre-scaling damage, leaving whatever's leftover to be reduced by scaling before you take it as damage.

Here's a sample of sorta how it works:

(totally made up numbers)
    Unscaled, the arrows would d ~14 damage.
    Dungeon scaling reduces that by 50%, so, without any DR, you see ~7 damage when you get hit.

If you use stoneskin, the unscaled damage drops down to around 4. That damage is then cut in half, so you see the arrows doing ~2 damage after the stoneskin.

Second question: it is true. To my knowledge it is not known whether it is intentional.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post

Sad, but true.
    DR is not scaled, dungeon scaling simply works consistently with other types of damage reduction: subtractive before multiplicative.

Resist energy is not "scaled" when you use Fire Shield, it's simply how math works out when you subtract before dividing. Same with DR, it is applied before dungeon scaling.

This is how it should be, otherwise it would be possible to completely eliminate various sorts of damage. It would be sad if it was the other way around. With gear, we would be virtually immune to fire, electric and cold damage, and soloing on normal would make you immune to damage most of the time if you have DR. Shield blocking would basically become damage immunity when soloing, not just on normal.

If you have enough DR to completely block a hit before dungeon scaling, it will still do 0 damage. You are always taking less damage due to dungeon scaling than you would without it.

OP, it's the same as taking 200 fire damage with fire shield and fire resist. You will take 170/2 = 85. Without FR, you will take 200/2 = 100. The difference is 15, but FR is still reducing the total damage by 30.
    Last edited by svinja; 05-02-2012 at 04:09 PM.