Arrow Need a fvs / monk solo build

Title explains it a bit | to size it up , i just need a good fvs / monk build (18 fvs / 2 monk prefer) , cant do 32 point nor helf which some might think , so if u could help me out , it would be fantastic! thanks in advance to those who help me.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cajundoc View Post
    Title explains it a bit | to size it up , i just need a good fvs / monk build (18 fvs / 2 monk prefer) , cant do 32 point nor helf which some might think , so if u could help me out , it would be fantastic! thanks in advance to those who help me.
    losing out on the FvS capstone DR wouldnt be very good unless you plan to TR right away. Generally speaking, Clerics seem to be more splash friendly than favored souls are .

28 points makes it a little tough. I assume TWF so you get full mileage out of reflex saves?

TWF Elf

Str: 16
    Dex: 16
    Con: 14
    Int: 8
    Wis: 8
    Cha: 10

Feats:

TWF/ITWF/GTWF
    Toughness
    Power Attack
    IC: Slashing
    Maximize
    Quicken
    Empower

Drow Variant:

Int: 10
    Cha: 12

Same feats except replace IC: Slashing with Piercing for short swords.

Human Variant:

Dex: 15
    Con: 15

IC: Slashing for long swords.

Losing capstone DR does hurt, but I think that it can be too easy to overrate it. There are multiple sources of DR now available that can partly replace it (Mabar Cloak, Tharaak Bracers, etc) and evasion with the FVS saves progression is very powerful. I love my LoB FVS DR, but I find myself feeling the lower reflex save and lack of evasion in epics, so there are places where either will shine.
    Order of the Silver Dragons||Argonessen
    Vratch||~Terevorn~||Ignys||Zofya||Virochka
    Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vissarion View Post
    28 points makes it a little tough. I assume TWF so you get full mileage out of reflex saves?

TWF Elf

Feats:

TWF/ITWF/GTWF
    Toughness
    Power Attack
    IC: Slashing
    Maximize
    Quicken
    Empower

Drow Variant:

Int: 10
    Cha: 12

Same feats except replace IC: Slashing with Piercing for short swords.

Human Variant:

Dex: 15
    Con: 15

IC: Slashing for long swords.

Losing capstone DR does hurt, but I think that it can be too easy to overrate it. There are multiple sources of DR now available that can partly replace it (Mabar Cloak, Tharaak Bracers, etc) and evasion with the FVS saves progression is very powerful. I love my LoB FVS DR, but I find myself feeling the lower reflex save and lack of evasion in epics, so there are places where either will shine.
    looks fantastic! thanks!

Default Looks great

its fantastic but why low on the wisdom / charisma? arent those the base ones for fvs`s? like must haves?

its fantastic but why low on the wisdom / charisma? arent those the base ones for fvs`s? like must haves?
    not really. If you're going melee, you can afford to have bad DC's (wisdom) on your spells.
    You'll get mobs saving on your blade barriers but thats what Divine Punishment (no save) is for.

/edit save on BB nets them half damage unless they have evasion. half damage on BB is still plenty to cut things down to size.
    the guys that have evasion, you can melee down no problem(for the most part). self healing enemy casters are the guys to focus on
    with DP.

Charisma just lets you cast X level spells and contributes to sp which is rarely a problem for a fvs.

for cha, use items to boost it up. Wisdom is meh unless you are going to be a "casting" focused fvs.

ps. character in sig was/is pure solo. THF melee fvs.
    Last edited by herzkos; 04-30-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    The Office of the Exchequer. 1750 on all live servers via Pure pugging. Thank you very much to all who helped carry a gimp . (wayfinder was a soloist build)

Quote Originally Posted by herzkos View Post
    Wisdom is meh unless you are going to be a "casting" focused fvs.
    On a normal divine melee yes.... but on a monk splashed one, Wisdom is also good for AC (nice while soloing) and stunning fist DC. FvS/monks are particularly good for stunning due to aura.

I'd still go (and did go) str based, but 6 build points in wis seems perfectly reasonable.

That said... on a 28 point build, something has to give.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Trying to fit in Wisdom would make the build too MAD, especially on 28 points.

I normally prefer Charisma around 11-12, but with 28 points it's an easy cut. You only need a 19 to cast all your spells, so 10 base + 6 item + 2 tome + 1 enhancement (and +2 ship, I suppose). Just make sure to have Eagle's Splendor as one of your level two spells so you can cast Heal when disjuncted (a rather rare occurrence).
    Order of the Silver Dragons||Argonessen
    Vratch||~Terevorn~||Ignys||Zofya||Virochka
    Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoull View Post
    On a normal divine melee yes.... but on a monk splashed one, Wisdom is also good for AC (nice while soloing) and stunning fist DC. FvS/monks are particularly good for stunning due to aura.

I'd still go (and did go) str based, but 6 build points in wis seems perfectly reasonable.

That said... on a 28 point build, something has to give.
    So you posted to nitpick and then at the end agreed anyway?

i'm a bit confused.
    The Office of the Exchequer. 1750 on all live servers via Pure pugging. Thank you very much to all who helped carry a gimp . (wayfinder was a soloist build)

Quote Originally Posted by herzkos View Post
    So you posted to nitpick and then at the end agreed anyway?

i'm a bit confused.

Err.... if you put it that way... I guess I did.

But the info might be useful to him (or a future someone who runs into this thread with similar thoughts). With Drow, he could start with a 14 wis (from the build listed above, drop Str to 14 and Cha to 10) and go the unarmed + stun route using the feat saved on IC on stunning fist. With only 28 points and no drow unlocked, its probably not worth attempting.

And unarmed stunning toon would feel and play differently than a standard TWFer. Personally, I think its superior for a number of reasons, but I also think those reasons are less important than playing what you want to play.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)