Default Gear for CC/Healing/Some Melee Ability Bard

My bard Hangover is just about done with her true reincarnations so this is what I was thinking let me know what you think or if I made errors. Her build is to have max cc dcs and quality healing, but yet do some melee dps if called upon.

Helm: Concord Opposition +45 hp.
    Trinket: Litany of Dead.
    Goggles: Tharnes Goggles.
    Necklace: Epic Torc of Raiyum w/+1 exceptional constitution)
    Cloak: Epic Envenomed Cloak w/toughness or epic silver concord w/+4 resistance
    Armor: Epic Demon Scale w/arcane spell failure -15%
    Belt: Epic Lion Headed Belt Buckle w/greater false life & +6 dexterity
    Bracer: Epic bracer of the claw
    Gloves: Epic glove of the claw or Upgraded Reaver glove or abbot x2
    Ring 1: Tower Armara ring +6 wis +3 charisma
    Ring 2: Cannith Crafted +2 enchantment focus, +11 concentration skill lg guild slot w 20 hp
    Boots: +6 cha skills shroud item wiz 6, +150 spell points

Dps sets:
    off hand weapon: lt epic alchemical shield (tier 1 martial fire +10 seeker, tier 2 martial air +6 doublestrike, tier 3 mystical fire evocation focus +2, arcane augmentation) red slot. Note I think this is a red slot and not blue or violet unfortunately.
    Primary Main hand dps weapon:
    1. epic elyds edge +7 charisma, sup devotion
    2. epic dynasta falcutta

Non dps healing set:
    off hand weapon: lt alchemical shield tier 1 mystical with sup devo 9, tier 2 martial earth for +2 con and tier 3 mystical fire and use scrolls in main hand.
    epic elyds edge and scrolls in main hand.

Random weapons.
    Staff of petitioner, Bard Lute, mineral 2 falchion, etc.
    Last edited by maddmatt70; 04-30-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Community Member

Gear looks all peachy - a question - do you think the dps will be worth it? I found my dps on a charisma based bard with elyd edge to be completely underwhelming, in saying that I lacked a lot of the dps gear that you have (and lacked falcutta).

Stats: 16 str 16con 18cha
    16str +9+2rage +2yugo +2ship +1 litany +3tome +an enhancement maybe =36str (could obviously improve further with different gear/titan clickie,etc)

Compared to a ~46 cha? What do you think you would do more damage with? Cha based with those weapons.

Or using THers and your non dumped str? You could craft Large Guild Slot Boss beaters for high AC bosses.

Genuine question since I am in somewhat of a similar situation and interested in your experience with charisma based weapons.
    Last edited by BoBoDaClown; 05-02-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    Server: Thelanis
    Guild: Fallen Immortals
    Toons: Soza, Sozz, Sozza, Sossa (bards)

I think I'm with BoBo. I think that you might be better off getting an Epic SoS or an Alchemical Earthgrab/lightning strike Falchion for your melee needs instead of going for the Elyd Edge static. Between the power attack bonus, base damage increase, and having your strength multiplied, I would wager that your DPS would be much higher. That's without taking into consideration the general crowd control pick ups with earthgrabs and whatnot. It's a simple matter to throw on your 7 cha and alchemical shield when you are about to throw a charm or disco ball or hold monster.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Why only +11 concentration on the cannith crafted ring? I've managed to put GSF:Enchant and +13 Concentration on some LGA bracers for my sorcerer.

Perhaps Abishai set if you do go the strength route? (Instincts suggest that strength is a better option for DPS than Falcatta or Elyd Edge). Helm of Frost+Boots of Corrosion fit in pretty nicely and complement other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Thank you for the feedback folks. I really appreciate it. I am not a sword and board bard fan either and really would like Hangover to wield a two hander. It is also unclear if the little melee damage that would result is worth this huge effort regardless. I have an alternative gear setup for two handers perhaps, but a little about the build first. The feats would be the following on this human pure level 20 bard:
    spell focus enchantment
    Greater spell Focus Enchantment
    Extend
    Maximize
    Wiz Past Life
    Bard Past Life
    Quicken
    Heighten

I am a huge propenent of extend and think quicken would be nice on this build with the slow casting time of spells like disco ball so kind of think feats are set.
    base
    Str 16
    Charisma 18+
    Con 16
    So strength with +3 str tome and gear (non abashi set or exceptional str) and ship and spell buffs and yug pots is 32 whereas charisma is 46. I do not have power attack or icrit slash so it seems like the one hander with alchemical shield does more damage then the two hander considering the 46 charisma vs. 32 strength.

Is it at all worth it to gear up the character for melee dps? Well I kind of figure even if I do only 30-40% of a real melee's dps it might very well be worth it and perhaps situational would be a nice feature as well. Note: I have two other bards one is melee focused and the other is melee/healing focused so this character I want to be cc/healing focused.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Why only +11 concentration on the cannith crafted ring? I've managed to put GSF:Enchant and +13 Concentration on some LGA bracers for my sorcerer.

Perhaps Abishai set if you do go the strength route? (Instincts suggest that strength is a better option for DPS than Falcatta or Elyd Edge). Helm of Frost+Boots of Corrosion fit in pretty nicely and complement other things.
    Regarding the first comment I am noobish when it comes to crafting. I do not have a crafter and will be dependent on someone else to make the item. If I can do +13 concentration by all means under that scenario.

Regarding your second comment feel free to comment below regarding 1 hander & shield vs. two hander with this build.

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoDaClown View Post
    Gear looks all peachy - a question - do you think the dps will be worth it? I found my dps on a charisma based bard with elyd edge to be completely underwhelming, in saying that I lacked a lot of the dps gear that you have (and lacked falcutta).

Stats: 16 str 16con 18cha
    16str +9+2rage +2yugo +2ship +1 litany +3tome +an enhancement maybe =36str (could obviously improve further with different gear/titan clickie,etc)

Compared to a ~46 cha? What do you think you would do more damage with? Cha based with those weapons.

Or using THers and your non dumped str? You could craft Large Guild Slot Boss beaters for high AC bosses.

Genuine question since I am in somewhat of a similar situation and interested in your experience with charisma based weapons.
    Excellent commentary. The gear space is less available as well if you go two hander because you have to fit more things in like +7 charisma and have to make superior devotion 6 at least more readily available as a gear swap. My experience with cha weapons is basically none.
    Edit: Added Two handed fighting gear setup

Helm: Epic Helm of Frost
    Trinket: litany of Dead
    Goggles: Concord Opposition +45 hp item
    Armor: Epic Demon Scale
    Necklace: Epic Torc of Raiyum
    Cloak: Epic Envenomed Cloak
    Belt: Epic Lion Headed Belt Buckle
    Ring 1: Amaras Ring +6 wisdom +3 charisma
    Ring 2: Epic Ring of the Stalker
    Bracer: +2 enchantment focus w/ +13 concentration and lg guild slot
    Glove: Epic Charged Gauntlet
    Boots: Shroud +6 charisma skills +150 spell points Wiz 6

DPS Mode: Drink superior ardor 5 pots and swing two hander such as tripple alchemical Earth, Air, Earth or mineral 2 falchion or Epic SOS.

Heal Mode: scroll main hand with off hand edyl edge..
    Last edited by maddmatt70; 05-02-2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added thf setup

Don't forget that you can use Superior Ardor VI clickies (random drop, very common) for all of your healing needs. Even just putting superior devotion IX on that shield is going to be a mistake compared to something like seeker 10 if you do indeed do sword and board. And even for healbot mode, I'd take an earthgrab or freezing ice guard any day over something that can be replaced with a clickie. On a bard especially, one cannot underestimate the free potency in these ardor clickies, because it's practically like getting a free feat.

Now that we can see your feats and see that you are missing power attack and improved critical, I would prioritize making yourself an earthgrab or freezing ice two-hander for additional crowd control. It's not that your DPS will be nothing, because any DPS coming from this type of character is a bonus. It's just that you are going to be getting bored pretty quickly with no-crit weapons. You would probably be the best guy in almost every raid situation for getting that cursespewing, improved cursespewing, improved destruction, etc. And you know what... most days I'd give a lot for someone willing to contribute with that. I like your new armor set up as well because it looks like you're picking up a few to-hit advantages to help with the harder situations.

I'm a Demon Scale fan for this build as well, but suggest Destruction dragontouched on a quick swap if you can. Helps you, and helps the party keep their uber-epic-dps armors on.
    Last edited by Anthios888; 05-02-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index

Armour: Epic Demon Scale Armour
    Bracers: Epic Bracers of the Deamon Consort//Epic Schorched Bracers
    Main Hand: Epic Elyd Edge
    Off Hand: Fanion or Epic Sirocco
    Ring #1: Smedgers Ring (+2 exept Cha)
    Ring #2: WObble Position, Atm Shinoa's Seal (+2 Cha)
    Helm: Green Steel 45Hp item Rad2
    Belt: SP Conc opp +150sp
    Trinket: Litany of the Dead or Vibrant Purple Ioun Stone
    Goggles: Epic Specticals of Spirit Sight
    Cloak: Wobble Position, atm Epic Cloak of Night OR Epic Cloak of the Silver Concord
    Gloves: Epic Charged Gauntlets
    Boots: Epic Boots of Corrosion
    Quiver: Quiver of Alacrity(abbot Quiver)
    Necky: Shinoas Pendent//Epic Torc(for spell pen)

Thats my CC gear, i get to dcs ranging from 44-48 with that(and some misc stuff too) and for Cha based dmg, the EElyde edge (duel weilding is better) will work just fine. Yes, and ESoS beats anything melee in the game, but those EElyde Edges will do 80 points a swing, which is very nice for a bard

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Is it at all worth it to gear up the character for melee dps? Well I kind of figure even if I do only 30-40% of a real melee's dps it might very well be worth it and perhaps situational would be a nice feature as well. Note: I have two other bards one is melee focused and the other is melee/healing focused so this character I want to be cc/healing focused.
    Go run the calcs for yourself, Matt. 30-40% is pushing it these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFantasticBard View Post
    Armour: Epic Demon Scale Armour
    Bracers: Epic Bracers of the Deamon Consort//Epic Schorched Bracers
    Main Hand: Epic Elyd Edge
    Off Hand: Fanion or Epic Sirocco
    Ring #1: Smedgers Ring (+2 exept Cha)
    Ring #2: WObble Position, Atm Shinoa's Seal (+2 Cha)
    Helm: Green Steel 45Hp item Rad2
    Belt: SP Conc opp +150sp
    Trinket: Litany of the Dead or Vibrant Purple Ioun Stone
    Goggles: Epic Specticals of Spirit Sight
    Cloak: Wobble Position, atm Epic Cloak of Night OR Epic Cloak of the Silver Concord
    Gloves: Epic Charged Gauntlets
    Boots: Epic Boots of Corrosion
    Quiver: Quiver of Alacrity(abbot Quiver)
    Necky: Shinoas Pendent//Epic Torc(for spell pen)

Thats my CC gear, i get to dcs ranging from 44-48 with that(and some misc stuff too) and for Cha based dmg, the EElyde edge (duel weilding is better) will work just fine. Yes, and ESoS beats anything melee in the game, but those EElyde Edges will do 80 points a swing, which is very nice for a bard
    I am guessing that you have the epic demon consort bracers for debuffing purposes. I am not sure how reliably they proc and how many mobs will attack these types of bards, but interesting nevertheless. I have the epic lion headed belt buckle in part for the shaken debuff effect myself but I am debating going with the ravager ring (w/ +2 str) and ravager belt instead of epic stalker and epic lionheaded belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthios888 View Post
    Go run the calcs for yourself, Matt. 30-40% is pushing it these days.
    Bah you wound me Anthios - let us bards have our illusions.

Thanks for the suggestion with the clickies as I have those on my cleric for aura purposes mainly but should have them on my bards but what have yeah. I think I like the whole two hander weaponery for no real good reason other then I would prefer a two hander bard over a one hander with shield and I also agree an alchemical earth grab or freezing ice etc would add more overall party dps vs. trash mobs so what have you perhaps then even an ESOS on the trash. For the bosses I will likely step back heal a fair amount and/or ESOS sounds good.
    Last edited by maddmatt70; 05-02-2012 at 04:48 PM.