Community Member

Default Some suggestions please?

First thing I must say is this toon is planned to be left at level 4 permanently. The purpose of this toon is to be as self sufficient as possible in order to help players in the level 1-4 range indefinitely.

Nude Stats:
    AC 14
    STR 10
    Dex 18
    Con 10
    Int 17
    Wis 10
    Cha 10
    HP 44
    SP 244
    Fort 1
    Reflex 5
    Will 4

Balance 4
    Disable 10
    Heal 3.5
    Hide 4
    Open Lock 11
    Repair 10
    Seach 10
    Spot 7
    UMD 7

Feats:
    Augment Summoning
    Construct Essence
    Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons

Spells
    Conure Bolts
    Enchant Armor
    Repair Light Damage
    Elemental Weapons

Enchantments:
    Artificer Crossbow Attack 1
    Artificer Crossbow Damage 1
    Improved Rune Arm Use 1
    Uncaring Master 1
    Human improved Recovery 1
    Repair Manpulation 1
    Artificer Intelligence 1
    2 unspent points

Gear:
    Elite Spider Cult Mask
    +1 Minor Fire Guard Breastplate(Medium, starter)
    Pathfinder's Necklace
    Goggles of Insight
    Ember Repeating Light Crossbow
    Engraved Ring
    Rugged Belt
    Moss Weave Cloak
    Treasure Hunter's Spyglass(T1)
    Ring of the Buccaneer(t2)
    Pathfinder's Boots
    Brawling Gloves(T1)

Some gear I do have plans for will include:
    Rock Boots
    Spare Hand
    Bracers of Wind
    Ring of Master Artifice
    Calomel repeater
    Mournlode breastplate

At this moment in time I have no helmet and no bracers.

So with all this information on hand any suggestions to alter anything?

Community Member

Unless you intend to teach them how to carry your soulstone i'd suggest moving some dex to con, then switching WF ranged to toughness. At 40 hp you will still be one shotted by pesky little kobold shamans on elite, and it would encourage the newer people to think low con is ok.

Ditch the enchant armor, get the resist energy spell.

Overall its probably a waste of time to even try, the game is too complex for folks to pick up on some of the why's at that point. If you really wanted to help grouping with them around 9 would be better. You can take them through some of the tougher quests where things like don't run through the traps, or don't just go charging into a big mob solo start to really matter. Someone takes on a bunch of hard hitting trolls and dies they get the idea a lot quicker than if they rush into a swarm of kobolds, dance around dodging the spells and kill every one without needing a heal.

Community Member

I took your advise as study material while continuing to running Crystal Cove today to finish up those three pieces of gear. During that I with only the help of my dog took out the named Wraith(CR9) three times. Another 7 time at CR7-9 with help of one team mate. Each time taking multiple lighting bolts to the face from a CR7-9 mob and never died. CR11 named Minotaur on the other hand did nix me the one time he spawned in behind me while I was fighting something else otherwise I was able to successfully kite him and kill him alone.

Once this event is over are you aware of any mobs I will face in standard dungeons level 4(Elite leveled to 6) dungeons that will surpass the difficulty challenge of a wraith at CR9? I cannot think of any at all. Waterworks after all is solo material.

Community Member

I'd not go comparing those mobs to elite versions of what you will face in quests.. The spells hit a heck of a lot harder, mobs have more health... If you think your build is fine go take on some kobold shaman. One lightning bolt has one shot some of my 65 hitpoint characters in butchers path. Will it always happen? No, you might roll a reflex save for half damage.. but then again they might just nail your entire group in one lightning bolt, especially with the tunnels in that one.

There are other nastyish quests, but if you don't already believe me (and the many people who have much more experience in builds, just look around the forums..) i doubt there's anything i can point out here to help you in game, and you're likely not the best one to go teaching other new folks stuff..

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

8 HP at level 4 is pretty irrelevant while AB is incredibly important. If you're prepared to put effort into this character then you should slot false life, health item (or rely on scrolls of bears endurance), guild augment HP etc.

Honestly I enjoyed my melee artificer a lot more at those low levels as my ranged was almost as strong as a ranged build (as only insightful strikes is available) and there are enough spell slots to take more healing infusions which lets you play the roll of party healer quite easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    8 HP at level 4 is pretty irrelevant while AB is incredibly important. If you're prepared to put effort into this character then you should slot false life, health item (or rely on scrolls of bears endurance), guild augment HP etc.

Honestly I enjoyed my melee artificer a lot more at those low levels as my ranged was almost as strong as a ranged build (as only insightful strikes is available) and there are enough spell slots to take more healing infusions which lets you play the roll of party healer quite easily.
    Would be more hitpoints gained if they took toughness as i suggested(and of course higher con), then even more with the enhancement opened from that... Melee or ranged they need more than 40 HP at 4. Unless the idea is to teach folks low hits is ok.. Some form of false life item would definitely be a step in the right direction.

Maybe you should hop up to 5, get the abashi set from chronoscope, the docent with +int and a summon on it. Maybe some crafted gear would fit better, especially if you can do that cannith favor thing to lower level by 2.

Community Member

Your stats:

strength: 10 is always better than 8. If only for loot.
    dexterity: 18 at low level this is your DPS stat. Also a good idea for other artys to see for IPS
    con: 10 is ... odd. Good for 4th level, a disaster at higher levels. Also missing fort saves is bad.
    intelligence: 17 is a good score for a leveling arty. At 4th level it is meaningless.
    wis 10: ??? good for a +1 will save. Only useful for 4th level artys.
    chr 10: pointless at level. A +1 UMD you won't be able to use, and would level out of if you continued on.

This build has parts that make some sense when held to 4th level, and other parts that make sense only if you level. You have to decide if you want newbies using myddo to try to copy your dead end build or really want to make a tweaked-out "Korthos wonder".

Over at lamania, I built a few "fake arty" builds that I was testing in case it made sense to participate in "build your guild" (it didn't). My take on this was the ranged-battle-cleric (the most hated build in Stormreach). - Note that this build can be made on a free to play account. A 4th level player can easily get by without paid content.

str: 8
    dex: 18
    con: 14
    int: 8
    wis: 14
    chr: 8

figher 1/cleric x (let the wizard take over at 7).
    feats: exotic prof: heavy repeater, rapid reload, point blank shot, extend, empowered healing, and sometime or another - toughness (4th won't get to empowered healing, don't plan on leveling to 12th for the next feat).
    race: human

Finally, I have to wonder how you plan on helping newbies. Either of these builds could just power level guildies to level 8 for the large bonus (you should make 2 slots, one 3rd and one 6tr for that). I'm not sure how a machine-gunning artificer is going to show new players how to play (sorcerers slightly excepted). I would recommend a melee capable pure cleric (WF with greatsword? Maybe a half-elf with fighter dilly). This allows the players to do more than run behind the hero and gasp at his mighty screaming of bleed heavy repeater.

Obvious items:
    breastplate of invulnerability (you are an artificer, make one.)
    screaming of bleed heavy repeater (ML3, can be made ML1 or add a +1 with masterful craftsmanship. Unlikely to be crafted by newbie players).
    if not, at least craft up the +1 fire-touched repeater. At 4th, you will likely want the +1 shock touched of lesser reptile bane, +1 acid touched lesser undead bane (maybe +1 fire touched lesser monsterous humaniod bane).
    cleric will need a few ardor items
    WF arty will need repair items (haven't tried the infusions. If ardor works, bring it).
    trap items (covered)
    [really, that is all you need]
    wand of cats grace (for you)
    wand of bulls strength (for everyone else)
    wand of casting stat (for the casters)
    Last edited by yawumpus; 05-01-2012 at 12:50 AM.

if you're talking about level 1-4 quests, then frankly... you can probably do anything you need with a completely gimped character. you could give your artificer 18 strength and wisdom (well, ok, put enough into int that you can cast your level 2 spells) and spend every feat on skill focus, and still have a character capable of dealing with level 4 content in this game (granted, you'd probably have to grab a greataxe, carnifex being the best but really almost any 2H weapon would do, cast master's touch, and pretend you're a barbarian to do it, but i'm pretty sure it would work provided you remember to carry around a stack of cure potions).

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smeggy1384 View Post
    Would be more hitpoints gained if they took toughness as i suggested(and of course higher con), then even more with the enhancement opened from that... Melee or ranged they need more than 40 HP at 4. Unless the idea is to teach folks low hits is ok.. Some form of false life item would definitely be a step in the right direction.

Maybe you should hop up to 5, get the abashi set from chronoscope, the docent with +int and a summon on it. Maybe some crafted gear would fit better, especially if you can do that cannith favor thing to lower level by 2.
    Not sure what the OP has access to but:
    20 base
    24 artificer
    10 false life
    20 guild augment HP
    10 stalwart trinket
    4 ship buff
    8 bears endurance scroll
    =96

Hell, there was a cleric in elite von5 who had only a bit over 100 HP (117 iirc) and no one gave him grief (though I wanted to). For levels 1-5 having <100 HP is totally fine.

Now, I have over 300 HP on my level 12 wizard, I certainly know the value of HP but at low levels I was totally fine having much less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Community Member

No doubt skill plays into surviving with low hitpoints at lower levels, and i don't doubt wax could pull that off.. Somehow my original characters made it to 11 with lowish con and no toughness. Probably took a lot more deaths than they should have, and i must have gotten a bit better or they'd have been scrapped pretty quick. But if the folks who don't come to check up on builds, setups and the reasons why its done just ask about base stats in game, then start rolling their own 10 con chars that's not too beneficial to them. Or maybe it would be, they make their gimped chars, die a lot, reroll a few times and eventually pick up that they shoulda come here to ask for build help. Sometimes it does take the hard lessons to make them learn. That's what it took for me.

Anytime i see someone asking about builds ingame i direct them here, its so much more detailed than a few typed lines in a busy chat channel. Then there's the extra discussion, maybe they get what works for some won't work for others, especially first life ungeared compared to multi lives with lots of raid loot to deck themselves out. There's so much more detail and character customization in this game, especially if they come from WOW. There you just pick a race and class, hard to go wrong. The gear fixes anything a talent respec can't there.