Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    After about an hour grinding for a compass last night, I said to heck with it and went to help a guildie run the crucible to get flagged.
    Maybe my tune will change when I log in again this morning.
    But it just REALLY didn't appeal to me at all last night.
    That will change with you run Smuggler's Rest with a lvl 20 wizzy or a fighter with an upgraded Terror.

My fighter got into a scrap with some 6 minotaurs, and PKed half of them in under 5 seconds. It was like shooting fish in a barrel, and immensely enjoyable.

Also - and I didn't think you could do this - I did a great cleave with Terror, and PKed two minotaurs at once.

Put a wizzy in a high place, and range / FoD stuff all night. In some ways it is good practice, and a way to change-up spell combinations (like a neg lvl spell and FoD for maximum effectiveness) so that you're not trying this first time. Do that in a quest, and people will either rage-quit of dump you because you're experimenting.

Team up with someone who can range the beasties like a wizzy, an AA, or an Artifacter with a repeater. You'll get as many compasses as you'll need in just a couple of hours (I racked up eight in one hour teaming with a guildie who had a heavy repeater).

But if you're not into getting decent gear through doing CC runs (and the gear is, on base level, bretty good), the loot on high levels with the treasure maps is really rather exceptional. I got a banishing weapon and a disruptor that my fighter could actually use. So if you scrap crating the gear, odds are you'll get something that helps you out in one form or another (decon or AH).

I've become a recent CC devotee. I've been trying to convince the lower-level guildies to run the stuff mainly for the points I've noted above.

BTW, if you're a melee doing Smuggler's Rest and have some crafting xp, craft a speciality "beater" weapon for your level. Lower levels are kobolds and (maybe) drow. Mid-levels are bugbears and hobgoblins, and upper levels are bugbears and minotaurs. It helps.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

At least in the cove, you can pick your party. You can even communicate with the people in the dungeon via party chat or voice.

Once you enter the Mabore dungeon, you get stuck with who knows how many random people, and you're forced to use general chat which is a poor way to communicate.

Plus, the dragon is neither cute nor entertaining.
    That dungeon is all about standing around 10 minutes bored, beating a couple mobs, hitting the dragon a few times, then go back to standing around being bored.

It is, IMO, the absolute worst mechanic in DDO. I for one am very glad that they did not continue this way of grouping in any other part of the game. At least in the other events you can see what is going on and can walk over to help.

@OP: I bought only one compass the first time I did the event. Never had to farm another. Turn in your gems after your first run of CC, and you'll have dubloons enough to stock compasses for the rest of your toon's life if need be.
    Last edited by danotmano1998; 04-30-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Willibold View Post
    I enjoy the cove , but get frustrated by the lack of response to lfms to do the actual gathering of shards. I really want to get those shards, but cant get a group. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh
    Yar, that does suck a little this time around. I found I can solo complete the Cove better on my lvl 9 Cleric running it at CR 7 with a fighter hireling than any of my other alts (self healing is a bonus). Thats a 25% reward hit, meaning I can earn about 90 shards before I run out of time. I stick the fighter at the bottom of the ramp on aggro to help with the "Incoming!" and he generally does a good (enough) job. Once you learn to do the torches efficiently yourself, the cove gets a lot easier.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Community Member

Default Acrylic Crystal Cove

I'm sorry, but this never appealed to me the first time, let alone this time. It is annoying to me for the following reasons:

1. It creates lag *everywhere*.
    2. It pulls away players and makes groups slow to fill
    3. The loot is mediocre at best, nothing is "must have"
    4. Just don't find it "fun"

Because of the above, I know several players, including myself, that are just not bothering to log in.

When is it over?
    RTFM on Khyber

After about an hour grinding for a compass last night, I said to heck with it and went to help a guildie run the crucible to get flagged.
    Maybe my tune will change when I log in again this morning.
    But it just REALLY didn't appeal to me at all last night.
    Why would anyone grind for compass?

If you never ran Crystal Cove before (or sold ALL your gems from the last time) buy one from DDO Store for 50 TP. Once you did that and ran the Cove, you never need to buy another compass with TP. A single Cove run, even at lowest levels, should net you enough gems for 400 copper/200 silver/100 gold which the compass costs. Compasses are BtC, but gems and doubloons are BtA. No need to grind.

When Cove event is over, make sure to save ten or so diamonds. That will tidy you over for a compass next time.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by Machination View Post
    I'm sorry, but this never appealed to me the first time, let alone this time. It is annoying to me for the following reasons:

1. It creates lag *everywhere*.
    2. It pulls away players and makes groups slow to fill
    3. The loot is mediocre at best, nothing is "must have"
    4. Just don't find it "fun"

Because of the above, I know several players, including myself, that are just not bothering to log in.

When is it over?
    The loot is mediocre? Umm... in terms of melee DPS, the bold trinket is better than any trinket except litany+ship buffs. The Cavalry plate is one of the best armors in the game for a variety of builds, but especially for a FVS DR focused build. Pop on cavalry plate, life shield, concordant opposition, and shield mastery and you become virtually immune to trash mobs.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post

If you never ran Crystal Cove before (or sold ALL your gems from the last time) buy one from DDO Store for 50 TP. Once you did that and ran the Cove, you never need to buy another compass with TP. A single Cove run, even at lowest levels, should net you enough gems for 400 copper/200 silver/100 gold which the compass costs. Compasses are BtC, but gems and doubloons are BtA. No need to grind.

When Cove event is over, make sure to save ten or so diamonds. That will tidy you over for a compass next time.
    Why pay for something right away if there is the possibility to get it for free?

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Why pay for something right away if there is the possibility to get it for free?
    Why work for 20 minutes to get something for "free" when you can get it for less than a minute's work?

If you're feeling like grinding for the first compass is too much work, buying the first compass is a cheap and easy way of just bypassing that portion of the work.

Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Why work for 20 minutes to get something for "free" when you can get it for less than a minute's work?
    Hey you! No logic allowed!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    If you're feeling like grinding for the first compass is too much work, buying the first compass is a cheap and easy way of just bypassing that portion of the work.
    It wasn't bout feeling like it was too much work, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed there for almost an hour..
    I just didn't feel like being in the cove...at all.
    Neither did the group I was in, so we ran the Crucible.

It wasn't bout feeling like it was too much work, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed there for almost an hour..
    I just didn't feel like being in the cove...at all.
    Neither did the group I was in, so we ran the Crucible.
    Ah.. Sorry, I didn't get that from the OP.

I read it as more of a "Hey, this is a grind and not much fun, so is there any way to skip some of the nonsense?"

As far as the cove not being fun, well... I personally enjoy the event quite a bit. It's a grind, but not that bad because you are constantly making forward progress to your gear goals..
    If Epic gear was this way I'd be playing a lot more epics. The .001% chance of getting whatever it is you're looking for is discouraging enough for me not to bother with them most of the time. Of course, that will probably change once we can gain epic levels.. but.. I digress.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GotSomeQuestions View Post
    Here's a better suggestion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Even more betterer:
    Thank you for your suggestions.

Reminder to myself : I need another collecting bag.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    Ah.. Sorry, I didn't get that from the OP.

I read it as more of a "Hey, this is a grind and not much fun, so is there any way to skip some of the nonsense?"

As far as the cove not being fun, well... I personally enjoy the event quite a bit. It's a grind, but not that bad because you are constantly making forward progress to your gear goals..
    If Epic gear was this way I'd be playing a lot more epics. The .001% chance of getting whatever it is you're looking for is discouraging enough for me not to bother with them most of the time. Of course, that will probably change once we can gain epic levels.. but.. I digress.
    No problem.
    I've already got most of the CC gear I wanted epic'd out already...there are of course, a few more things I'm wanting to improve. I'm just finding other things to do that appeal to me more right now.

Sadly I'm in this boat too. If only it was a few weeks ago or months, but the current Turbine game has lost it's luster for me
    Leader - Ωmega Syndicate [L41] guild of Khyber|Orien - www.os.rumbaar.net
    Khyber - Eldraine - Monk | Eldaline - Favored Soul | Eldnuker - Sorcerer
    █████ - Eldalorne - Wizard | Elarawr - Fighter | Eldrainge - Ranger/Rogue

Default New to CC. Been worth it!

For one weekend's casual effort, I got the Dread Admiral's Tricorn with the Haste Aura III upgrade, Epic Cavalry Plate, Epic Jeweled Encrusted Dagger with Upgrade 1, Epic Duelist Leathers, Epic Brawler's Gloves and Epic Spyglass. Last but not least, I got a +1 lesser heart of wood in one of the magic treasure chests in smuggler's. Now that I understand where the value lies (the gems and dragon shards in the CC quest), I should easily be able to get the other epic items and full upgrades during the event.

Community Member

For me the main draw is the fact that you can get pretty good BOUND TO ACCOUNT Epics fairly easy. If these items were Bound to Character I'm not sure I'd bother apart form maybe the daggers and spyglass. but as it is there is a big incentive to get quite a few other items knowing that any toon can use them....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post

If you never ran Crystal Cove before (or sold ALL your gems from the last time) buy one from DDO Store for 50 TP. Once you did that and ran the Cove, you never need to buy another compass with TP. A single Cove run, even at lowest levels, should net you enough gems for 400 copper/200 silver/100 gold which the compass costs.
    If you don't want to spend TP or grind for a compass (all my chars got it pretty fast in smuggler's rest, but some people have bad luck), you can buy a grog from the AH (not that expensive), and run Butcher's Path casual with the buff going and get lots of map pieces (turn in for dubloons) and quite a few dubloons.

Then go to the cove and farm gems and don't finish, and buy additional compasses by turning in gems for dubloons. You'll never run out of compasses.

what's ruining it for me is you are expected to be a self-sufficient uber character as a requirement to join most groups. Have seen lfm's saying caster only, byoh, be self-sufficient, selective on who joins. Why have any other classes if you have to bring your own healer and be a self-sufficient caster? Why group at all? Miss the days of when this game was about grouping to complete the quest.
    Main - Dinomyte, Leader of the Cult of the Onyx Pikachu
    Alts - Skrapheep, Nimbleklutz, Magnarok, Metocalypse

what's ruining it for me is you are expected to be a self-sufficient uber character as a requirement to join most groups.
    I have seen no such thing. Yes, you'll see "Need caster/healer" in a group with 4 melee in it already, but that's no different than any other quest.

Every other group I've noticed or been in has been "take the first 6 and go".
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast