Default Error 201 Can't open the data files

Oddly enough the day after I logged in just fine, I type in my password and this is the firs thing that pops up....tried a re-boot; didn't help. Tried it at least 4 times and the same thing happens.

Game Error 201: Can't open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to write them. The program will now exit. [201]

Any ideas?

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Quote Originally Posted by harsher View Post
    Oddly enough the day after I logged in just fine, I type in my password and this is the firs thing that pops up....tried a re-boot; didn't help. Tried it at least 4 times and the same thing happens.

Game Error 201: Can't open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to write them. The program will now exit. [201]

Any ideas?
    The very first thing I would do is run a good malware checker.

The second thing I would do is make sure the user account I am using has full administrator privileges.

If you played just fine yesterday and you were using an account with full administration privileges and you tried the same account the day after and entered the game the same way and received this error, the very first thing I would do is to run a malware checker. 201 means DDO is having trouble reading its data files, and this could be a file permission (or folder permission) error, and it could be a Windows user account that has been corrupted internally. Malware and viruses can do that.

Here's a Turbine Support article on it if that helps...

http://support.turbine.com/ics/suppo...1+30+29+28+3+2
    Last edited by My2Cents; 04-28-2012 at 07:02 AM.

I did the malware checker twice. The first scan got about 16 differnet things running then deleted them. Tried to run game still same error 201 message. Did another hour + malware scan...no malware found...still same error 201 message.

Set up a new user account on the computer. Still getting error 201 under new user account.

Opened folder to look at the DDO files that are under C:\Program Files\Turbine per the link and the dev's recomendations.

Tried to see if the ones on my computer match the ones from the error 201 link (same one posted by My2Cents)

Client_anim (check)
    Client_cell_1 (check)
    Client_gamelogic (Check)
    Client_general (check)
    client_highres) (check)
    client_local_English (check)
    client_map_1) (check)
    client_mesh) (check)
    client_sound) (check)
    client_surface) (check)

Now however as soon as the turbine list starts mentioning all the DE (german) and FR (french) files...my comp doesn't have these. For some reason during the download of these DE and FR splash screens was when this all became a problem. I don't play ddo in DE or FR; must my launcher always download their stuff too? Anyways missing:

client_local_DE
    client_local_FR

So is there a way to re-download the latest current launcher or something to replace these missing files? why they didn't update or went missing in the first place is a mystery to me...

I do not want to re-download and reinstall the entire game. Is there a way I can re-update my launcher to obtain these missing files? Sigh....

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Quote Originally Posted by harsher View Post
    Now however as soon as the turbine list starts mentioning all the DE (german) and FR (french) files...my comp doesn't have these. For some reason during the download of these DE and FR splash screens was when this all became a problem. I don't play ddo in DE or FR; must my launcher always download their stuff too? Anyways missing:

client_local_DE
    client_local_FR
    I don't have those either, so I'm going to hazard a guess that they're not necessary for you.

What windows Operating System are you using?

You could have removed a malware that already changed access permissions on one of your DDO folders...

So you are fairly sure your system is clear of malware, and you tried to run it on an Admin user account. Since things seemed to be going fine one minute then went bad the next, it really does seem something changed somewhere.

Did you check through the rest of that article?

Community Member

Default windows vista

im trying to get it on my windows vista compaq laptop... ive checked turbine support and done everything it says to for vista and still that little box pops up everytime... i just dont know what to do...

Check the link in my signature for Download DDO.

Stoner81.