Default Best weapon to pair with Epic Midnight Greetings?

High Strength pure assassin. What is the best weapon to pair with Epic Midnight Greetings on an assassinate attempt? Or does it not matter?

After the attempt I would normally switch to the best general weapon for what ever I am facing, often paired with an epic Cutthroat's Smallblade or the envenomed blade.

But for the attempt at assassinate what is best?
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

The Smallblade is 6% doublestrike. If you are aiming for multiple assassination attempts at once, that'd be my recommendation.

I find switching weapons mid-combat to be annoying, so if I'm headed into a slog through trash, I generally have one set and just go with it and not swap.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    The Smallblade is 6% doublestrike. If you are aiming for multiple assassination attempts at once, that'd be my recommendation.

I find switching weapons mid-combat to be annoying, so if I'm headed into a slog through trash, I generally have one set and just go with it and not swap.
    Smallblade is nice but it's annoying that it's piercing. Doublestrike has a few other sources (epic spare hand, alchemical tier 2 air) so I'd look at these. One idea is a GS Radiance II Scimitar/Kukri/Khopesh with exceptional intelligence +2 instead of fire blast (my current idea coupled with spare hand to avoid gear swaps for traps/locks).
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Kinda unrelated...

You know how a "Stunning" weapon gives a bonus to stun attempts?

And "Vertigo" to trip attempts.

I think "Vorpal" weapons should give a bonus to Assassinate DCs.
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Alchemical tier 2 air is probably ideal, and you can put anything but fire on tier 1 if you're not picky - air/water/earth all do CCish things. Earth tier 1 has both greater stone prison and earthgrab, so that might be best. Doublestrike 6%, lighting strike, and alchemical dex +2 is all pretty dang good.

alchemical flametouched khopesh with earth/ice on tier 1, air on 2 and w/e on 3
    Triumore - Triu - Broktar
    Mitis Mors

Depending on the order of processing effects an imp cursespewing, or enervation item may be your best bet.

In general non dmg effects tend to happen first which would be things like cursespewing, earthgrab, stone prison etc. This is followed by all dmg effects and lastly comes things like vorpal. banishing, smiting that instakill.

I don't know for sure where assassinate falls in here but as its a death effect im guessing at the end meaning a cursepewing proc or a enervate would lead to a much lower save against the assassinate.
    Ghallanda Rerolled
    LeLodar LeLothian LeLoki LeLoman LeLonia LeLog

I like a Rad2 kukri to make some use of the 15secs when assassinate is on timer.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    Kinda unrelated...

I really like this idea and think it makes sence...+!
    Gasoline(tr) Favored Soul - 5th Life
    Deadwall(tr) - Soul Survivor - 2nd Life
    Gasolinex - Pale Master
    Gasomatic Systematic - Bard

Well just a bit more info, My rogue is Pierce spec.

I know the EMG is a slashing weapon but I will only be using it to attempt assassinates, then switching to a Rapier and short sword combo (I almost always use the epic small blade or the envenomed blade in my off hand.

Community Member

One idea is a GS Radiance II Scimitar/Kukri/Khopesh with exceptional intelligence +2 instead of fire blast
    Now that the Cove is open I would try to get the exceptional +2 int from the epic spyglass instead. +20 spot and search, true seeing, +2 exceptional Int, +3 bonus to UMD (I forget what type of bonus it is but it will stack with other UMD bonuses), Green slot.

That item is chalk full o win for a rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    Kinda unrelated...

I’d rather go with Backstabbing or Seeker weapons. It seems more thematically appropriate. (Though I agree that Vorpal needs something to put it back into general use.)
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • One loot system to rule them all. (Including Cannith Crafting, and Named Loot.)
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Adjusting Challenge XP so that they're worth running more than once.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    Well just a bit more info, My rogue is Pierce spec.

I know the EMG is a slashing weapon but I will only be using it to attempt assassinates, then switching to a Rapier and short sword combo (I almost always use the epic small blade or the envenomed blade in my off hand.
    Definitely smallblade then. 6% doublestrike means more assassination attempts and it's a decent DPS weapon besides; no reason not to have this in the mainhand and the EMG in the offhand.

Quote Originally Posted by edgarallanpoe View Post
    Now that the Cove is open I would try to get the exceptional +2 int from the epic spyglass instead. +20 spot and search, true seeing, +2 exceptional Int, +3 bonus to UMD (I forget what type of bonus it is but it will stack with other UMD bonuses), Green slot.

That item is chalk full o win for a rogue.
    Enhancement bonus to UMD on the spyglass, it's a good item but not generally one for a final gear setup; Litany of the Dead is much better.

Fireblast adds so little damage to a GS weapon that you may as well swap it to an exceptional stat or something else if it is useful; +2 exceptional int works well and then you have the blinding affect for the other 15 seconds between assassination attempts. In this case make sure that you slot Epic Sparehand to have some tem based doublestrike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Enhancement bonus to UMD on the spyglass, it's a good item but not generally one for a final gear setup; Litany of the Dead is much better.
    I actually made 2 Tier 2 spyglasses for swap items and bridge gear for future characters, since that UMD is still competence.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Smile

Definitely smallblade then. 6% doublestrike means more assassination attempts and it's a decent DPS weapon besides; no reason not to have this in the mainhand and the EMG in the offhand.
    Sounds good

Litany of the Dead might be better but as I do not have one. The Spyglass is very useful for me

eTimeblade. Gives doublestrike+some light CC. Wasn't that hard to get the parts for either.
    Honkin * Diaari * Bazongas