Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

I never understood the Coyle hatred until the 75% sale and I bought Threnal. I'm embarrassed to say that on my first attempt at protecting him on my lvl 20 PM I had no idea what to expect and he ended up dying. I mean one second he was alive then he goes running off and died. He took some damage before and I scroll healed him, but this was insta-death and he was buffed to the hilt. Next time I knew better though and had him knocked out and surrounded by disco balls, but it was boring. 15 minutes is too long. I can't imagine the horrors of trying to do this at level.

Each pack has it's own hated moment though for me. I didn't hate all of Threnal. Just Coyle. I mean the rest was nothing to celebrate, but one quest made it suck. In Necro III you have the lovely Tomb of the Tormented and the stupid boring rat maze. In Necro IV you have Inferno where someone always gets lost. In the Vale the Coal Chamber.

However for me on Cannith, it would be Restless Isles. Finding the quests is a pain. The two pre-reqs for the raid aren't bad, but getting there sux. Then trying to get a raid group is impossible. It is very rarely done on Cannith unless it is a guild run. I'd say I went a good 6 months without seeing a single LFM and I was playing pretty frequently during that time. Then a few came up and the pre-raid run took forever to do with only 2 people knowing what was going on, people getting lost, falling in lava, etc. Took an hour for the pre-raid and then of course no one knew what to do for the boss. Needless to say in a 2 week period a bunch of Titan runs popped up which I joined because I hadn't done them in a while. All were failures. All that hard work and the titan can glitch over away from a pillar or something silly. Then despite the fact you're all alive still it's a fail. A horrible mechanic with bad luck being a big factor as opposed to any skill or build type helping and you also have only 4 people doing anything and the rest piking on the ladder. Fun. That was one of the first packs I bought because the gear drew me in (gear which I've never pulled) and it is my most hated.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyerz View Post
    Hate is a bad thing. Negative energy is never good.
    How do you know Hate is bad and negative energy. Is that what movies tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by RumbIe View Post
    Finding the quests is a pain. The two pre-reqs for the raid aren't bad, but getting there sux.
    Something that helps, a LOT, is to have someone share the quests. Then, you can use the two guide NPC's near the entrance to get to the quests a lot faster. You only have to memorize a small section of non-functional map rather than the entire thing. Just be sure to retake the quests after turning them in.

Quote Originally Posted by gerardIII View Post
    How do you know Hate is bad and negative energy. Is that what movies tell you?
    No, that is what a zen master told me when I visited a buddist temple. And its quite a good lecture.

"Hikari datte, yami datte, kitto"

Into light, into darkness, surely.

Community Member

Some hated packs:

Catacombs. First pack I bought, for a long time the only pack I regretted buying.

Lows:
    run throw the same boring crypt twice. Do a forgettable run. Run through a painful square of the exact same "pull a lever and fight off the ambush" sequence eight times. Run through two quests that are joined and end in a sequence largely decided by pure luck (since it only is going to be run by newbies, don't expect haste). If the wraith gets you, run both (with pretty much the same "hit altar and get ambushed, repeat four times" mechanic).

Best loot: eternal healing wand. Heal 50 points after a pounding clickfest at the speed of echos of power. Not great before EoP, I don't know where my wands are now.

Highs:
    none. Obviously you need to run on elite for a prayer of silver flame pots, so non VIPs will be howling in frustration (wait till they hit necro, especially III).

Threnal:
    Lows:
    Coyle. Coyle, Coyle, Coyle. A million deaths were not enough for Coyle (the original translation was garbled).
    Highs:
    Non-Coyle quests can be farmed for xp.
    The giant caves are a nice surprise and might even be worth some xp.
    Voiced by Dave Anderson, who was a dungeon master even before Gygax.

Restless Isles:
    Lows:
    Explorer area is a maze to keep you away from the quests.
    Head of Ghola Fan is endless (may be a plus for some people)
    Highs:
    Only ran one quest once and gave up on it. No idea about this pack.

Quote Originally Posted by yawumpus View Post
    Restless Isles:
    Lows:
    Explorer area is a maze to keep you away from the quests.
    Head of Ghola Fan is endless (may be a plus for some people)
    Highs:
    Only ran one quest once and gave up on it. No idea about this pack.
    I ran "Head of Ghola Fan" once on a guest pass... let's say I agree with you. Won't be buying the pack, even at 75% off!
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by DemonMage View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's Three Barrel Cove on every server. Some people may like it, but you'll almost never see LFMs up for it.

It is a well done area, very scenic and I allways found it fun to play

Unfortunately, just nothing there loot wise to make it worth the time, crappy XP, and Free Agent Favour is worthless.

Mad floyd indicated in another thread that it was being reworked for better loot.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...07#post4416107
    Feather followed up in the same thread with some gibberish.. so it looks like a wait and see game.

I cant see just adding better loot bringing people in to run 3barrel unless it is uber upgradeable loot.

I would hope to see some better XP and some usefulness added to Free Agent Favour to make it appealing to the masses.

Titan is on my don't bother to get pack list, it is a waste of points and no one runs it anymore.

Personally, Titan is a hated quest, after 80 Elite runs and not getting the named items I was after(excluding failures/repeat runs due to failed pillar drops due to lag, or pugs killing part 1 by running into the barrier room and dieing with the iron golems(barriers stay up while rest of party is locked out of the barrier room)=quest wipe, DDooring with puzzle wrong=puzzle fail=quest wipe....

Drop rates are terrible, anyone who did get what they want out of the raid never go back, and those that didnt just gave up and moved on.

Turbine pretty much killed the raid when they added the black barriers. It prevented a smaller group to prep part 1 to the point where no one could screw it up while waiting to fill the rest of the raid party since part 1 of the raid is too long to risk failure and have to do over.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 04-26-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    It is a well done area, very scenic and I allways found it fun to play

Unfortunately, just nothing there loot wise to make it worth the time, crappy XP, and Free Agent Favour is worthless.
    So 3BC is not hated, just ignored.

People tend to hate quests which are difficult, long, have random failure modes, yet are necessary for flagging, important loot, etc. Like Coal Chamber.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12