Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Default Suggestions

Short answer to the OP question: 1 - the more the merrier.

Longer answer and random thoughts...

I would like to see some logical passive feats as well as additional active abilities.

For example, I would recommend that completionist be a passive (automatic feat). It could then be easily deactivated when new classes are added without requiring a feat respec.

I would also like to see a "4th life" feat. Currently, passive past life feats stack up to 3 times. I would recommend that an additional active (selectable) feat like those being discussed be offered on the 4th life. For example, a 4th life sorcerer could get a clickie that grants 100 temporary spell points.

Alternately, the 4th life could automatically (passively) grant the normally active past life feat as a passive bonus feat at 3rd level.

And, since you are clearly reading this thread, I would recommend a race-based past life set of feats. I previously recommended some here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=365653

Here is an example:

Past Life: Half-Orc (passive)
    You were Half-Orc in a past life. Someone once told you that you have a generally unpleasant disposition. They never said that again. You retain some of the unique qualities associated with half-orcs and may use items that are normally restricted to Half-Orcs even if you are currently a different race. (yes, I know this gets complicated if we apply the same benefit to past life: Warforged, but...).

Past Life: Half-Orc (active - selectable)
    You remember more about your past life as a Half-Orc - and it makes you mad. You gain +1 to damage with all melee weapons and +2 to damage with all two handed weapons. Glancing blows produced by your two-handed weapon attacks have a 2% chance of producing magical weapon effects such as flaming. Additionally, 3 times per rest you may call upon your inner fury to generate 25% more hate, making enemies more likely to attack you.

A feat could be offered to those completing all racial past lives. I suggested we call these folks idealists, but someone wiser than me suggested we call this the enlightened path and those completing all racial past lives could simply be called "enlightened."
    Last edited by BoBo2020; 04-26-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    As you know, some classes (e.g. casters) have more active "clickies" than others, with melee classes typically having less.

What are your thoughts/tolerances on active abilities as they pertain to your play preferences?

Some sample answers (in case this makes it easier - feel free to answer any way you like):
    1) The more the merrier! The more I can do the better.
    2) Love them as long as they are offensive attacks and not complimentary abilities (e.g. boosts or mob debuffs)
    3) I like having them, just don't want to be forced to use them to be successful.
    4) Prefer passive abilities, otherwise gameplay is too demanding & complex.

As usual I thank you for your feedback.
    Somewhere between 2 and 4. I have failed to get on with the monk because of the rapid button selection required, but have learned to love spell casters with 40+ spells and abilities to select from and use in an appropriate and timely manner.

I don't mind buffs and debufs but I do struggle to keep track of short duration ones to reapply them when appropriate - the only way I manage to keep haste going is to take of my boots of striding so I notice when it wears off

That being said, a good part of what makes this game so good is the breadth of tactical options, and I'd hate to loose the help a monk can give to a party just because they're not quite my cup of tea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    I have never seen a 100% disapproval rating before.

Community Member

My opinion is probably mostly towards option 2. Having more CC options for melee or debuffs are great. At least for me, Monk is already somewhat over the top (especially light). It took me a long time until I felt ready to even build a Monk that's not **** and then I had to find the most important abilities as there's a limited amount of hotkeys I can reach well. Watching timers on all? Nope, not time, I just hit the generic damage strikes often enough and only watch out to have enough ki for the special stuff with longer cooldown.

I find that very short buffs like action boosts are double edged swords. On the one hand I like them, they can give powerfull boosts. On the other hand, I ignored them for a very long time because you must be quite familiar with the game until you can really start to include such shortly timed buffs - without overlooking lots of other stuff. Even now I end up very often at a shrine or quest finish with having a good amount of them unused. Unless you know the quest very well already, you're quite often saving them too long in case of an ugly surprise you forgot about.

Quote Originally Posted by BoBo2020 View Post
    I would like to see some logical passive feats as well as additional active abilities.

For example, I would recommend that completionist be a passive (automatic feat). It could then be easily deactivated when new classes are added without requiring a feat respec.
    Nice
    I would also like to see a "4th life" feat. Currently, passive past life feats stack up to 3 times. I would recommend that an additional active (selectable) feat like those being discussed be offered on the 4th life. For example, a 4th life sorcerer could get a clickie that grants 100 temporary spell points.

Alternately, the 4th life could automatically (passively) grant the normally active past life feat as a passive bonus feat at 3rd level.
    I'm interested in that.
    And, since you are clearly reading this thread, I would recommend a race-based past life set of feats. I previously recommended some here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=365653

Here is an example:

Past Life: Half-Orc (passive)
    You were Half-Orc in a past life. Someone once told you that you have a generally unpleasant disposition. They never said that again. You retain some of the unique qualities associated with half-orcs and may use items that are normally restricted to Half-Orcs even if you are currently a different race. (yes, I know this gets complicated if we apply the same benefit to past life: Warforged, but...).

Past Life: Half-Orc (active - selectable)
    You remember more about your past life as a Half-Orc - and it makes you mad. You gain +1 to damage with all melee weapons and +2 to damage with all two handed weapons. Glancing blows produced by your two-handed weapon attacks have a 2% chance of producing magical weapon effects such as flaming. Additionally, 3 times per rest you may call upon your inner fury to generate 25% more hate, making enemies more likely to attack you.

A feat could be offered to those completing all racial past lives. I suggested we call these folks idealists, but someone wiser than me suggested we call this the enlightened path and those completing all racial past lives could simply be called "enlightened."
    Definately, please consider this one!

;;;

Wow, less than 24 hours, and this thread has over 200 serious well thought out replies.

I generally like active abilities (my favorite character is a Monk...), but the big thing I don't like so much are short-term buffs that a character wants at all times, but needs to keep re-applying.

Frenzy and Death Frenzy should be toggles. The activation cost (a bit of HP) is trivial, and not worth the annoyance of having to refresh them every minute.

Power Surge is similar, but does have a more significant activation cost. But, DPS Fighters could use some help, and having Fighters be the "burns bright, fades fast" DPS class seems backwards to me anyway, I think it could just be made a toggle. Have it cost an Attack Boost per activation, and lock out using Attack Boosts, if some minor drawback is needed.

Divine Might is similar to Power Surge, and DPS Palis are really in need of help, and this is basically their only universal DPS feature. I say just make it Passive.

Oh, and on a slightly related note, why the heck can't the game remember our Power Attack settings between logins? It does it for meta magics, why not Power Attack?

Quote Originally Posted by dkyle View Post
    It does it for meta magics, why not Power Attack?
    It does for _everything_ except brute fighting (incite stance) and power attack I think. Might be also some class specific stances I don't know yet.

Lightbulb

Suggestion: all enhancements (including class abilities like rage and divine power) should work like Monk's finishers; istant use of the special skill and work also while activating several others finishers, by memorizing the pressed finishers "clickies".

This would solve most problems for the lag producing enhancements/skills.

This is better understood playing with a gamepad to be honest.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwart View Post
    I agree with this, but on the other hand I would not want more clickies to have to deal with. I think we have a really good balance now.
    Agreed, add more clickies and suddenly we become like every other MMO out there even more so, just waiting on timers.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Agreed, add more clickies and suddenly we become like every other MMO out there even more so, just waiting on timers.
    I think optional clickies are in order. Clickies, that also have passive counterparts.

Clickies and passives should be balanced out. Taking 7 passive feats/enhancements should have roughly the same power as taking 7 active ones. The only difference should be playstyle. One is Monk(ey) hitting hotkeys, the other is w+m1.

Take mixes to achieve middle ground builds.

Community Member

Default Love Them!

The more abilities offensive and defensive the better. It will make for a more realistic combat system.
    Darcc/Darcbane/Darcjustice/Darcslayer/Darcsoul/Bloodsaif/Discipled/Gripfast/Soulrise/Soulwater/Windseeker

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truga View Post
    It does for _everything_ except brute fighting (incite stance) and power attack I think. Might be also some class specific stances I don't know yet.
    Subtle Backstabbing also turns off when logged out.

Speaking strictly for melee characters, I find some clickie effects to be engaging, but only if they are significant. The best and most substantial abilities should always be passive however. I would definitely not want to see the game revolving around click effects, and certainly not for casters. They have enough buttons to click as is.

Community Member

Default Clarifying

Quote Originally Posted by robdrew View Post
    The more abilities offensive and defensive the better. It will make for a more realistic combat system.
    i.e. damage strikes and debuff type strikes. Would love to see things like shoulder bash,limb chop and shield rush. Trip sunder stun gets repetitive. More melee flexibility! You have some instituted now such as sap and slicing blow but they need to be seriously overhauled into something more useful. Obviously im speaking for melee only i think spells keep a caster very busy and involved as it is. Auto-attack and the occasional pushing of the sunder button is very boring. Get creative, think real world and what someone might do in a desperate situation. Someone who is up close and personal is gonna do whatever it takes to kill the antagonist in front of them.
    Darcc/Darcbane/Darcjustice/Darcslayer/Darcsoul/Bloodsaif/Discipled/Gripfast/Soulrise/Soulwater/Windseeker

Quote Originally Posted by Qzipoun View Post
    An active and exciting combat system is the biggest selling point for the game ...
    This is an interesting point. Some players have stated that positioning relative to monsters and running around means they feel they have less time to push buttons, while others have said that pushing lots of buttons is part of the active combat they like.

When someone says they like the active combat in DDO, we don't always know if they like more button pushing or less.
    Last edited by Vargouille; 04-26-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshire View Post
    Subtle Backstabbing also turns off when logged out.
    Doesn't for me. Rage does turn that off though. Do you madstone?

This is an interesting point. Some players have stated that positioning relative to monsters and running around means they feel they have less time to push buttons, while others have said that pushing lots of buttons is part of the active combat they like.

When someone says they like the active combat in DDO, we don't always know if they like more button pushing or less.
    Both are what makes this game great. Having options and being able to try different tactics is good for everyone.

While I am not in the "Let's make a million clickies" camp, I would say if they are well planned and useful, but not necessarly mandatory, I'm all for them.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I prefer passive abilities.

although I do not mind a really, really good clickie. (Assassination)

small bonus clickies just seem like a waste of effort to me.

Only very high HP monsters last long enough to make most clickies useful to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

*yeah! I get to push more buttons while I stand here!
    emm... joy???

*yeah! I get to stand here on auto attack! brb, getting a drink.
    emm.... ok.

*Will this bloody jerk stand still so I can hit him.
    This I can agree with as it is bloody frustration watching weapons go right through the target and nothing, yet 20 feet away and they can hit you. smooooooth. Trip attempt... SLIDE.... back up and attack you like nothing happened by the time you catch up.

The game designer crew has a hard time here. You've made the combat nice and active because of area detection, where the drawback is lag if done too much, let alone client server arguing makes it not fun allowing the server to cheat a lot. But at the same point, 3.x which you are based on doesn't use "clickes" much at all.

The only way I could see giving it a look of more activeness if there was some beat timer you could use to increase dps but not have it go lower than the current standard.
    In the same vein, I find monks to be the most active of the combat classes because you have to constantly setup stuff with ki. This active combat is why people love or hate monks, and why so many complaints about ki generation came about.

Maybe... there is a good amount of clickes, but there should be some combat method to regenerate them. Such as detect swings of attack (so you don't just wiff air) that after 50 or 200 odd swings, clikies regenerate by one?

I don't know. I tend to avoid clickies in combat for the most part. Why? I bloody hate the fact that if I activate them I have to wait several seconds before I can do anything in combat. Thanks for wasting precious time off my buff.

Maybe they like around the amount they have now.

Some are nice to have. Get too many and it detracts from the movement oriented gameplay for those without lots of buttons on their mouse. Game plays very differently for me on my laptop (with junk mouse) to my main system (with mouse with side buttons). I end up dropping down the number of things I use regularly with the laptop, otherwise I can not move effectively during combat.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Default My sugestion

It would be nice to have a quick link almost like the weapons set where you could drag a number of clickies/actions into it then pull that to a hot bar so for example for a barb you could pull rage/frenzy/death frenzy into this clicky then pull that to your hot bar and click it once to get all the effects(in a time based order) instead of clicking individual ones. I think this would be nice for allot of other thing also i.e potions, spells, equipment sets etc. Just my 2 cents.

The sleeper has awakened

Krakonos The Ancient One Guild leader of Guardians of the Game Khyber

KrakenHeads(L20 WF THF) Ftr, KrakenSkulzz(L20 WF TWF), KrakenKills(L24 Drow Assisin), Spydraxis, KrakenSouls(L25 Human Fvs), KrakenHealz(L24 Human Cleric), KrakenTunes(L18 Drow Bard/Crafter A150/D150/E150)

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast