Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Don't want to sound like a broken record or anything, but if you want to do a raid, just start your own group. It's so much less frustrating

OTOH I kind of understand the raid leader's position on AAs. There are a lot of poorly played rangers. That being said, 1 or 2 poorly built, equipped and played rangers aren't going to kill your raid, so really it doesn't matter a whole hellofalot. I don't turn them down.

Rangers do get singled out a little more though. Rogues? I just don't understand that one. Assassins have some wicked dps even if you don't have decent weapons. It's one of the least gear dependent classes, which by definition makes them an excellent addition to the dps component of your raid pretty much without needing to examine them.

I tend to just look at a rogues HP. If it's 228, I don't want them in my raid. 450+ and you're in. I'd happily take an all rogue melee dps contingent. Stuff goes down _fast_.

I'm not saying I'd play a melee character with less than 500 HP, but 450 + improved evasion is Good Enough(tm)
    Last edited by hermespan; 11-30-2012 at 08:20 PM.

i might just be a bad raid leader, but in all the shrouds and chronoscopes I have directed, I accept anybody until there are 2 slots left for healers. Only then will I decline people, and I make sure to send them a tell saying that last slots are for healers. Thats how I ended up running a shroud w/o casters (had 2 healers). Have to say, it had some of the best dps in all my shroud runs and by far it was the most fun
    Light path Metaru
    Festivult meets the Ice Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Dear Very Concerned Customer,
    Buy a rez cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarisa View Post
    Ranger just happens to be one of the classes that are attractive to players who come from more "fixed role" MMO's. Because of that, you get far too many who think that pumping DEX, dumping CON, not self-healing, and never switching out of a Bow is what a Ranger is about.

Paladin (permanent shield, never using their smites, no buffing, little self healing), Rogue (dump CON, pump INT/DEX, dump STR, the "I never get aggro" excuse, and overly specializing in traps), and to a lesser extent "Battle" Clerics (don't yet know when to fight and when to heal, don't cast CC spells, little buffing, not healing anyone but themselves) also have bad reputations.

It's sad when you have to worry about every unknown Ranger, Rogue, Pali, or Fighter splashed Cleric joining your group, but there just happens to be far more of the "bad" ones than the good ones.
    Well said

I have quested and raided with Ara lots of times and she is usually among the best players of the group.
    Argo: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir

I have to say, I'm still enjoying my pure ranger. He's lvl 13 now, and I've been frequently commented on how well I do in groups. Kill counts don't mean anything but I'm frequently in the top 2. I don't claim to be top notch DPS, but a properly built and geared AA ranger seems to be underestimated. I can't wait to try out Shiradi Champion and Fury of the Wild builds once I hit 20.

I think where a bow ranger can shine is critical hits, since longbows have a x3 critical multiplier. If you get seeker items and things to help score big on critical hits, your damage might be mediocre, but your criticals will be spectacular. Bows are also useful for crowd control and on-hit effects, such as stat damage, blind, etc, especially paralysis.

Once again, it seems like strength is they key, as well. There's no need to have 40+ dex, to-hit is not that bad in DDO. I think people neglect to put points in strength, thus causing their damage to lag behind; this is probably the most common reason people say rangers suck.

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    Once again, it seems like strength is they key, as well. There's no need to have 40+ dex, to-hit is not that bad in DDO. I think people neglect to put points in strength, thus causing their damage to lag behind; this is probably the most common reason people say rangers suck.
    This!

I'm a big fan of tempest and TWF so I built a melee ranger (a few years ago, one of my first characters). Before the alacrity nerf (huge melee attack speed decrease) it was top tier dps, and I focused on str naturally. But even with a 28(fully geared and buffed) dex he has _no_ problem hitting anything with a bow. An AA definitely wouldn't.

I bet that between ranger and rogue there are more build points wasted on dex in this game than any other stat.

If you have an AA, and crazy high dex, take off your +8 item. I bet it doesn't make one iota of difference in your actual hit probability while playing. 36 is probably more than you'll ever need.
    Last edited by hermespan; 12-04-2012 at 09:05 PM.

I am building an Arcane Archer atm who has 2 Rogue levels for traps, locks and hopefully UMD (if I can squeeze it in which I doubt) some great information in here about Dexterity which I will be using to make mine better

Thank you.

Stoner81.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234