Default Air elementals [wai?]

Is it WAI the way AIR ELEMENTALS work now? ... It's just a bit like a kick in the balls to melee one.

Z.
    Last edited by Zerkul; 04-28-2012 at 06:26 AM.
    Guild Leader of "GODS - Guardians Of the Dragon Sanctuary" on Cannith --- My Characters: Zavarthak (20 Barbarian Frenzied/Ravager DPS - MAIN), Ryumajin (Warlock,), Leohands (Evocation FVS firstlife), Galvano (Paladin TWF). - If you like or find useful my posts, consider adding reputation.

yes

Yes they were like this, then they got nerfed and where ignored by players. Then they were returned with vengeance.

You should comment more that Earth Grab form Earth Elementals is no longer protected via FoM, than this change.
    Leader - Ωmega Syndicate [L41] guild of Khyber|Orien - www.os.rumbaar.net
    Khyber - Eldraine - Monk | Eldaline - Favored Soul | Eldnuker - Sorcerer
    █████ - Eldalorne - Wizard | Elarawr - Fighter | Eldrainge - Ranger/Rogue

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbaar View Post
    Yes they were like this, then they got nerfed and where ignored by players. Then they were returned with vengeance.

You should comment more that Earth Grab form Earth Elementals is no longer protected via FoM, than this change.
    With high saves I'm not afraid of earthgrab, air eles, however, don't give any save at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    With high saves I'm not afraid of earthgrab, air eles, however, don't give any save at all.
    I agree with Rumbaar. Earthgrab is much more annoying than air ellies. Trying to do a quest and getting earthgrabbed, on a WF with FoM, from an ellie you missed minutes ago and is now at least a minute's run away across the other side of the map, is very annoying.

Air ellies are only an issue on low STR toons. With enough strength they just push you back a bit. They don't even do that much damage. If you don't have the strength, wait for a caster to finger them or use ranged. If you don't have either of those it will be tough

De-nurfing them was a good move, as they were absolutely useless after the nerf.

Quote Originally Posted by haku-ba View Post
    I agree with Rumbaar. Earthgrab is much more annoying than air ellies. Trying to do a quest and getting earthgrabbed, on a WF with FoM, from an ellie you missed minutes ago and is now at least a minute's run away across the other side of the map, is very annoying.

Air ellies are only an issue on low STR toons. With enough strength they just push you back a bit. They don't even do that much damage. If you don't have the strength, wait for a caster to finger them or use ranged. If you don't have either of those it will be tough

De-nurfing them was a good move, as they were absolutely useless after the nerf.
    air ele's gust of wind is not giving the save that it suppose to...
    basically guaranteed slow on you...
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    air ele's gust of wind is not giving the save that it suppose to...
    basically guaranteed slow on you...
    Although I haven't tried it, I am assuming a quick haste pot and your slow is now gone. If that works, then it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Community Member

I agree with Rumbaar. Earthgrab is much more annoying than air ellies. Trying to do a quest and getting earthgrabbed, on a WF with FoM, from an ellie you missed minutes ago and is now at least a minute's run away across the other side of the map, is very annoying...
    This. My issue isn't with earth eles being able to earth grab my wf really (my saves absolutely blow, so I expect to be grabbed. But to be grabbed by an earth ele at the start of the quest when i'm fighting the final boss 10 minutes later is just absurd.

As to the OPs point, air eles are absolutely annoying. Fleshmaker's laboratory, for one, makes me cringe every time I have to do it.

I'm just waiting on when they make fire eles do a 2k dmg attack on you like a fire savant, or water eles to freeze you in an ice block like a water savant. Then I can grumble about all eles equally =D

Clearly, you didn't have the spell Summon Monster VIII (or a stack of gems from the Cove). They were (and still are) incredibly useful!

I remember only too well how effective they were when I equipped a shield around them
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Air Eles have:
    Gust of Wind: No save Slow to any medium (ie any non-halfling player race) creature. Halflings will instead get knocked down if they fail the (according to the SRD) Fortitude save. Friendly fire, so your summoned and charmed ones can give that status to you. It cannot be removed with Haste. It does not remove Haste. It's not prevented by FoM like other Slow's. Blows out many persistent AoE effects, like Clouds, Firewalls, and illogically Otto's Sphere of Dancing.

Knockdown: This can be prevented, I believe that this is a reflex save. The knockdown is an active attack of the ele, not something that's always on. This is also the part that is prevented by Renard's Elegant Hat.

Knockback: This is an always-on ability to the ele. The only defence is astronomically high STR or DEX. High level elite or epic Eles can require STR totals in the 60's to have a reasonable chance of staying close to them. Renard's Elegant Hat does not prevent it. A paralyzed or Jade Tomb'ed Air Ele will still knock you back as you approach.

Whirlwind: A low damage bludgeoning attack. Reflex for half.

It's the combination of two essentially no-save abilities, combined with the horribly high stat skew that high level trash mobs have that makes them unfair for melees, and not too much of a threat to casters.

Quote Originally Posted by NortheOfThelanis View Post

I'm just waiting on when they make fire eles do a 2k dmg attack on you like a fire savant, or water eles to freeze you in an ice block like a water savant. Then I can grumble about all eles equally =D
    That would be awesome! I'd hate it at the same time, but wow. I like it.
    Last edited by Syllph; 04-26-2012 at 09:31 AM.