Default My first greensteel craft question

Hello.
    I am pure artificer level 19 atm speced in range and force
    I really want to do my homework before trying my hand at this,
    I have this in mind for my first greensteel attempt for a heavy repeater crossbow.

+5 Green Steel Heavy Repeater (2d8)
    Shock Blast
    Aspect of Vacuum (Either)
    Aspect of Vacuum II - Trap the Soul (Weapon)
    15% Negative Energy Absorption
    Shocking Burst

What do you guys think? I just been fiddling around with the crafting planner. I would like a good crossbow for all around fun thrash mobs, bosses, epics once in a while.

Thanks in advance.

Community Member

Why not a Lit II? With a repeating crossbow, there's just so much chance that the lightning attack will proc... I have a guildie who has one, and he's a killer with that xbow!

To bypass Bosses' DR that means you need to use holy or silver bolts and cast silver or planar weapons (you need silver and good for devil bosses).

I personaly use a Lit II (holy, shocking burst, shocking blast and lightning strike) and conjured bolts (for convenience) and then cast silver as needed. If I really want to push damage use silver bolts and cast deadly weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGreat1 View Post
    Why not a Lit II? With a repeating crossbow, there's just so much chance that the lightning attack will proc... I have a guildie who has one, and he's a killer with that xbow!
    I agree, that's what I'm toting. I love it.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Quote Originally Posted by DaGreat1 View Post
    Ok I am so very new at all this. This is my first character this high level and mostly a casual player.

so something like this?

Shock Blast
    Aspect of Lightning (Either)
    Aspect of Lightning II - Lightning Strike (Weapon)
    Shock
    Good Burst

Or this better?

Shock Blast
    Holy
    Shocking Burst
    Last edited by JudasPriest; 04-24-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudasPriest View Post
    Ok I am so very new at all this. This is my first character this high level and mostly a casual player.

so something like this?

Shock Blast
    Shock
    Good Burst

Or this better?

Shock Blast
    Holy
    Shocking Burst
    Generally speaking, you'll get more damage out of the latter weapon. Holy does more damage to evil enemies than Shock. Shock obviously has the advantage on neutral (or good) enemies, but the majority of foes you fight will be evil. For the most part, evil enemies also tend to be much more dangerous than the stray dog or rat you run into.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishizaru View Post
    Generally speaking, you'll get more damage out of the latter weapon. Holy does more damage to evil enemies than Shock. Shock obviously has the advantage on neutral (or good) enemies, but the majority of foes you fight will be evil. For the most part, evil enemies also tend to be much more dangerous than the stray dog or rat you run into.

Yes but goodburst is the same as holy in a way, just wondering what is better , shock with goodburst or holy with shocking burst

Yes but goodburst is the same as holy in a way, just wondering what is better , shock with goodburst or holy with shocking burst
    Either is viable.

Holy + Shock means you do an extra d6 of damage to evil enemies which is most of what you face.

Shock + Good means you do an extra d6 to neutral enemies, which means your weapon has more general performance...but it does a d6 less to evil ones, so you are doing slightly less to the majority of enemies you face.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Either is viable.

Holy + Shock means you do an extra d6 of damage to evil enemies which is most of what you face.

Shock + Good means you do an extra d6 to neutral enemies, which means your weapon has more general performance...but it does a d6 less to evil ones, so you are doing slightly less to the majority of enemies you face.

Well from what i read under effects is this:

Holy = 2d6 to evil aligned targets

Good burst= 2d6 to evil aligned targets + weapon crit multiplier

So not sure what you mean or where you get this neutral damage from.

Good Burst is 1d6 on hit, 3d6/4d6/5d6 on crit for x2, x3, x4 crit weapons.

Good burst is 1d6 on hit, with extra damage on criticals.

Holy is 2d6 on hit against evil enemies, nada against neutral/good.

The vast majority of enemies we fight are evil, and most of those are vulnerable to lightning. So most of the time holy, shocking burst, shock blast is the best on a LitII.

Quote Originally Posted by Pank View Post
    To bypass Bosses' DR that means you need to use holy or silver bolts and cast silver or planar weapons (you need silver and good for devil bosses).

I personaly use a Lit II (holy, shocking burst, shocking blast and lightning strike) and conjured bolts (for convenience) and then cast silver as needed. If I really want to push damage use silver bolts and cast deadly weapons.
    Yup, I think that's some good advice.

Hard to go wrong with a LitII for trash in general, and in the hands of an arti they really shine against bosses too.

Completely off topic, but an important PSA for you perhaps... In order to help you avoid one of the more common errors in making a Dual Shard Greensteel item:

1) Imbue one supreme shard according to your selected recipe.
    2) Imbue second supreme shard according to recipe.
    3) PUT BOTH SHARDS into altar and create single, double imbued supreme shard.
    4) Apply the single double imbued shard to your tier 2 greensteel item.

I've read many, many times the woes of someone that puts the first supreme shard onto the weapon thinking they can add the second shard after to double shard it. Don't make this mistake!

On topic:
    At least two of my guildies have selected a Dust II heavy repeater for their arties... the disint procs as often and almost as hard as the lightening strike and has a broader range of things it can damage. I stuck with Lit II for mine, though.
    Last edited by HGM-Chi; 04-25-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HGM-Chi View Post
    On topic:
    At least two of my guildies have selected a Dust II heavy repeater for their arties... the disint procs as often and almost as hard as the lightening strike and has a broader range of things it can damage. I stuck with Lit II for mine, though.
    the disintegrate may be almost as much damage, but i bet the evil damage is pretty lousy against the vast majority of targets in the game. and holy/unholy procs on *every* hit for +7 damage.

Well from what i read under effects is this:

Holy = 2d6 to evil aligned targets

Good burst= 2d6 to evil aligned targets + weapon crit multiplier

So not sure what you mean or where you get this neutral damage from.
    Good Burst is 1d6 + extra on crits, and it works on evil and neutral.

Holy is 2d6 and only works on evil.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Lightning Strike is 1.5% for 610 damage, Disintegrate is 2% for 457.5; overall (that is, no overkill) they are dead even at 9.15. I agree with Jaid314 that the important part is the utility of Holy vs. Unholy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    Lightning Strike is 1.5% for 610 damage, Disintegrate is 2% for 457.5; overall (that is, no overkill) they are dead even at 9.15. I agree with Jaid314 that the important part is the utility of Holy vs. Unholy.
    Agreed, which puts the LitII ahead on your pit fiend bosses, and the Dust II ahead on LoB, Marilith bosses I'd guess. But it is just a guess.