Default How to make money crafting?

I have spent quite a bit (a lot actually) getting my crafting to around 40th level

I find that the only purpose is to upgrade the gear on my own characters and am unsure what the market is for unbound items to be sold.

Are there certain items that sell more than others (ie do people pay a lot for ML 1 gear that would not be possible for a few or several levels?) is there an idea on what gear is worthwhile and not to sell?

I could take a stab at it and see some items on the AH selling for quite a bit but are they actually selling for that price or is someone just putting them up hoping they will sell?

I am ideally looking for advice from anyone who has made money crafting and then selling on the AH (ideally at the level I am at) and if possible what advice can you share about the best way for me to make money that way?

Thanks

P.S. I am finding that I am getting zero drops of essences on my alternative characters with 0 crafting, does it only start dropping after a certain level? Should I get them to do a bit of crafting first to make the game think they need essences? --- on my Sorceror, he was getting essences on Collaborator without fail but this new toon is 3rd level and not getting a single essence
    Quote Originally Posted by Fav Quote of All Time
    A Friend is someone who will help you move... A Best Friend is someone who will help you move a BODY!

Quote Originally Posted by wlmartin View Post
    I have spent quite a bit (a lot actually) getting my crafting to around 40th level

I find that the only purpose is to upgrade the gear on my own characters and am unsure what the market is for unbound items to be sold.

Are there certain items that sell more than others (ie do people pay a lot for ML 1 gear that would not be possible for a few or several levels?) is there an idea on what gear is worthwhile and not to sell?

I could take a stab at it and see some items on the AH selling for quite a bit but are they actually selling for that price or is someone just putting them up hoping they will sell?

I am ideally looking for advice from anyone who has made money crafting and then selling on the AH (ideally at the level I am at) and if possible what advice can you share about the best way for me to make money that way?

Thanks

P.S. I am finding that I am getting zero drops of essences on my alternative characters with 0 crafting, does it only start dropping after a certain level? Should I get them to do a bit of crafting first to make the game think they need essences? --- on my Sorceror, he was getting essences on Collaborator without fail but this new toon is 3rd level and not getting a single essence
    Making plat from unbound crafting is (in my opinion) not really worth the effort and expenses to reach high enough levels. Let me use myself as an example:

I have a capped (150 x 3) crafter on the Argo server. I advertise on the server marketplace forum that I craft for no surcharge and only require that people give me the essences and collectables required to make a particular shard. Now you think that I would be inundated with requests for shards, but I am really not. I usually get 4 to 5 request each week, but that’s it. I usually get more request for TR’ing guildies than strangers.

Now the market for crafted lowbie gear on Argo is not bad, but other crafters have saturated the AH with a ton of min level 1 items: Featherfalling clothing, Invulnerability armor/docents and other nice to have early on gear. So crafting that stuff nets you no “profit.” Things that would be really nice to craft unbound (Deathblock) is not avail at this time,

I instead concentrated on higher end stuff and other nice to have equipment. I found that it is really hit or miss on whether an item will sell, example:
    I crafted a +5 Mithral Full Plate with a medium guild slot and put +3 Natural Armor Bonus and Superior Stability on it (most AC you can get from armor if your true neutral). Now that armor sold in 24 hours so I crafted another set and that one took 2 weeks to sell. I crafted the same thing on a Mithral Breastplate and Mithral Chain shirt and had no luck with either one.

I have crafted some Holy/silver weapons and found that they sell regardless of the suffix, but at a rate that makes it not worth it to craft them widespread. I put Evil Outsider Bane, Lesser Vampirism, Improved Destruction and others and they all sell the same. Now some weapons sell better than others but the trends are hard to figure out.

So I guess my advice is that if you want to try to make plat off of crafting is good luck, start slow, figure out what will sell on your server and look at the AH now and see how much crafted gear is already out there. (Quick way to tell is that if an item on the AH has more the +5 potential that its crafted)

Oh and BTW, essence drop has nothing to do with crafting levels, its totally random.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
    Making plat from unbound crafting is (in my opinion) not really worth the effort and expenses to reach high enough levels. Let me use myself as an example:

I have a capped (150 x 3) crafter on the Argo server. I advertise on the server marketplace forum that I craft for no surcharge and only require that people give me the essences and collectables required to make a particular shard. Now you think that I would be inundated with requests for shards, but I am really not. I usually get 4 to 5 request each week, but that’s it. I usually get more request for TR’ing guildies than strangers.

Now the market for crafted lowbie gear on Argo is not bad, but other crafters have saturated the AH with a ton of min level 1 items: Featherfalling clothing, Invulnerability armor/docents and other nice to have early on gear. So crafting that stuff nets you no “profit.” Things that would be really nice to craft unbound (Deathblock) is not avail at this time,

I instead concentrated on higher end stuff and other nice to have equipment. I found that it is really hit or miss on whether an item will sell, example:
    I crafted a +5 Mithral Full Plate with a medium guild slot and put +3 Natural Armor Bonus and Superior Stability on it (most AC you can get from armor if your true neutral). Now that armor sold in 24 hours so I crafted another set and that one took 2 weeks to sell. I crafted the same thing on a Mithral Breastplate and Mithral Chain shirt and had no luck with either one.

I have crafted some Holy/silver weapons and found that they sell regardless of the suffix, but at a rate that makes it not worth it to craft them widespread. I put Evil Outsider Bane, Lesser Vampirism, Improved Destruction and others and they all sell the same. Now some weapons sell better than others but the trends are hard to figure out.

So I guess my advice is that if you want to try to make plat off of crafting is good luck, start slow, figure out what will sell on your server and look at the AH now and see how much crafted gear is already out there. (Quick way to tell is that if an item on the AH has more the +5 potential that its crafted)

Oh and BTW, essence drop has nothing to do with crafting levels, its totally random.
    Thanks... crafting = fun, twinking but no real money... good to know i wasted 300k after coming back from a long 2yr break on leveling but it is fun so im cool

Its weird though, this toon = no essences, my sorceror got essences every 2-3 chest or so
    Very strange
    Quote Originally Posted by Fav Quote of All Time
    A Friend is someone who will help you move... A Best Friend is someone who will help you move a BODY!

If you TR a lot then crafting is really worth it.

Nothing beats crafting a ton of shards the day before a character dies and is reborn in order to have "good" gear waiting for you at level 1, or the 10 minutes you are level 1 at least.

Having +2, +3, +4, +5 and +6 Charisma shards (and all the other "needed" prefix/suffixes)all ready to put on something as I re-level a sorc saved(s) a ton of time.

Also, being able to craft the same for guilides in the TR pipeline is nice as well.

Enjoy

The BtC nature of the crafted items limits, I think, to just new players on AH. Most want to invest plat into a nice item they can trade between characters or later sell. Which you can't with crafted items.
    Leader - Ωmega Syndicate [L41] guild of Khyber|Orien - www.os.rumbaar.net
    Khyber - Eldraine - Monk | Eldaline - Favored Soul | Eldnuker - Sorcerer
    █████ - Eldalorne - Wizard | Elarawr - Fighter | Eldrainge - Ranger/Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbaar View Post
    The BtC nature of the crafted items limits, I think, to just new players on AH. Most want to invest plat into a nice item they can trade between characters or later sell. Which you can't with crafted items.
    Actually if you disjunct and craft on a BtA item, like the ones from Sharn Syndicate, they stay BtA.

Community Member

Since I do not craft, this comment comes from the perspective of an observer, not a participant.

On Orien, I see a tremendous amount of starter-level (CL 1-4 or so) items with Guild Augment slots crafted into them on the AH, with prices from around 10k to 40k, so it appears that the market for crafted items is either make-to-order and thus not appearing on the AH or as low level twink gear for your TRs or alts. This is the most underutilzed crafting system, by a large margin, in a game I've ever seen. Even the rudimentary crafting early on in the original EQ was used more often than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMond63 View Post
    On Orien, I see a tremendous amount of starter-level (CL 1-4 or so) items with Guild Augment slots crafted into them on the AH, with prices from around 10k to 40k, so it appears that the market for crafted items is either make-to-order and thus not appearing on the AH or as low level twink gear for your TRs or alts. This is the most underutilzed crafting system, by a large margin, in a game I've ever seen. Even the rudimentary crafting early on in the original EQ was used more often than this one.
    /rant on...here we go

Agreed.

This is caused by Turbine's philosophy and policy decisions. Specifically, they do not want any one person on a server crafting things that previously only could be raid loot, even if only for themselves.

They have gone way too far in making this system restrictive to keep that over powering from happening. So under that thinking, there is really no reason (at this time) to get your levels higher that 95 (conservative estimate)

I ask my friends this all the time, would it be so overpowering if I could craft vorpal, smiting, paralyzing and banishing shards now that those effects have been nerfed to a mere shadow of their previous glory? Why cannot I craft a superior potency 5 shard? I mean these are easy questions that no one at Turbine even wants to address. Are any of those effects that we cannot craft so over powering that the dev's quake in fear about putting them in?

I really think that the people in charge of making decisions about this system really do not play their own game as much as some of us do. I mean I play about 3 hours (max) a night and (IMHO) I understand the impact and side effects of this system more than most of the devs. I've seen it firsthand every night.

They seem to think that crafting specific stuff could make things unbalanced in the game. I do not think so. I mean what could be so OP about putting moderate/heavy fort on a trinket or bracers or boots?

Flexibility really needs to be added into this system. Basically, if I can craft a shard, I can put that effect on anything and not just the few places that I can now.

/rant off

P.S. crafted items with a medium or large slots increases their value by a huge factor. If you can find a Mithral Tower shield with a large guild slot on it, you could cap a toons plat in one sale.
    Last edited by Blackwolfe; 04-25-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: ooops

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

If you're looking to get back some of the money that you've invested into crafting by selling some useful items, you can absolutely do that.

If you're looking to turn a net profit on the entire endeavor, that ain't going to happen unless you use some kind of exploit to level your crafter (hypothetically speaking - not saying that there is an exploit that you could use).

You won't make any serious money by selling crafted items because there are enough people now that can and do make crafted items for people at no profit at all. A friend of mine makes Superior Brilliance V clickies for anyone who wants them at no charge at all just because he wants more divines spamming Divine Punishment so that we get more raid completions. That said, you can make a modest profit on some items. If you can make an unbound +4 or +5 Holy of Evil Outsider Bane, that will make a nice weapon when put on a Silver or Cold Iron blank. Silver and Cold Iron blanks are dirt cheap now compared to most of last year, so that makes this a little easier. Feather Falling rings and boots and Superior Stability items are also quite nice and fairly easy to sell.

In general, however, you won't make much of a profit on any individual sale and it takes too long to craft items to make enough individual sales to make a large profit overall. You'll make more plat per hour running a Shroud or farming Dreaming Dark or IQ quests.

Also, if you happen to find a Large Guild Augment item, you can get a decent amount of plat for it. Anywhere from 50k-150k plat depending on the item slot. If you ever find the holy grail - a decent weapon type with either Silver or Adamantine and a Large Guild Augment together, you can probably name your price. If you happened to have a Heavy Pick like that, I'd gladly pay you a half million Argo plat for it.

In general, uncommon and rare dropping items from random chests are going to get you significantly more plat than an item that hundreds of other people also can (and do) craft at little or no profit to themselves.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stainer View Post
    Actually if you disjunct and craft on a BtA item, like the ones from Sharn Syndicate, they stay BtA.
    I have a checklist on a post-it that lists how many BtA items of each gear slot I have available. Whenever I run a chain to completion, I look through the list and pick up whatever slot's BtA item I happen to need if there isn't a particularly attractive named item or big renown reward waiting in the list. I've even gotten a couple of BtA metal-type items that way including a pair of Cold Iron BtA Quarterstaffs.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    If you're looking to get back some of the money that you've invested into crafting by selling some useful items, you can absolutely do that.

If you're looking to turn a net profit on the entire endeavor, that ain't going to happen unless you use some kind of exploit to level your crafter (hypothetically speaking - not saying that there is an exploit that you could use).

You won't make any serious money by selling crafted items because there are enough people now that can and do make crafted items for people at no profit at all.
    I guess that depends on your definition of 'serious.' Would that be 50K? 100K? 150k? 500k?

Right now my crafter (147/138/132) can easily sell shards for 30-150k a piece. I can purchase 87 greater body essences for around 35k, craft an unbound +6 con shard and sell it for 150k on the AH. That's a net profit of 64k per shard. If I use essences that I found myself, I can net 100k per shard.

You can make money crafting and selling shards; I think I've easily made 750-900k just messing around and seeing what shards will sell for what price. If I chose to use my greater essences to craft shards I know are in demand rather than using them for xps or twink items, I could easily hit the plat cap with my crafter.

To the OP: it has taken me 6 months (more?) and a good 70+ hours in game shuttling items, crunching them, and crafting shards to get to this level of crafting. If you are just in it for the money, it would be quicker and easier to farm Orchard for tome pages or Shroud for green steel ingredients. Heck it would be quicker just to sell your greaters on the AH.

tl; dr: yes you can make money crafting and selling shards, but the time isn't really worth it.
    Last edited by Postumus; 04-25-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Community Member

Im kinda new to these forums so i hope this is ok, but i had just responded to someone in another thread then read this one and thought it would really fit the topic so im going to copy/paste it..
    "I've plat capped 2 toons and been able to keep every other crafting mat (gs ings, scrolls, etc) that ive found instead of having to sell them as most ppl do. I spend an hour or two crafting every other day or so then fill up the ah. When i log in on average I collect 300-800k from my mailbox. It's almost like a cheesy work from home commercial.

IMO, nothing could be easier as a plat income in ddo. I will, however, say thats prolly only possible because i have stayed ahead of the crafting curve and not many can create competition. I do wish the craft expansion hadnt been pushed back because i know everyday others are catching up to me lol."
    *edited unrelated content*

that was the original post.

I would like to add that i DO NOT expect these results to continue as others lvl their crafting.
    I also think another reason i have been successful is that i do not sell shards. I keep my ah almost full at all times with gear I've put together and know is a great combo of effects and slots/gear material. I Check the ah and pawn shops often for slotted or special material gear and go from there. Some things take weeks to sell, others go overnight. But in the long run i have a fairly steady income for now.

I started the game about a month before last summers winter games. I earned roughly 2 mil jumping for burst recipe's. Cannith was introduced around that time so I invested the newly found wealth (first time i had even seen 100k much less 2 mil lol) into crafting knowing the only way it would be profitable would be to stay amongst the first persons selling gear.

So i guess in summary, it will be exponentially harder to craft for profit as time continues to pass and more and more players can do it, and i think it will eventually plane out to a barely profitable skillset.

(is still extremely handy to help my guildies and friends though )
    Last edited by Underheart; 05-02-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
    /rant on...here we go

Agreed.

This is caused by Turbine's philosophy and policy decisions. Specifically, they do not want any one person on a server crafting things that previously only could be raid loot, even if only for themselves.

They have gone way too far in making this system restrictive to keep that over powering from happening. So under that thinking, there is really no reason (at this time) to get your levels higher that 95 (conservative estimate)

I ask my friends this all the time, would it be so overpowering if I could craft vorpal, smiting, paralyzing and banishing shards now that those effects have been nerfed to a mere shadow of their previous glory? Why cannot I craft a superior potency 5 shard? I mean these are easy questions that no one at Turbine even wants to address. Are any of those effects that we cannot craft so over powering that the dev's quake in fear about putting them in?

I really think that the people in charge of making decisions about this system really do not play their own game as much as some of us do. I mean I play about 3 hours (max) a night and (IMHO) I understand the impact and side effects of this system more than most of the devs. I've seen it firsthand every night.

They seem to think that crafting specific stuff could make things unbalanced in the game. I do not think so. I mean what could be so OP about putting moderate/heavy fort on a trinket or bracers or boots?

Flexibility really needs to be added into this system. Basically, if I can craft a shard, I can put that effect on anything and not just the few places that I can now.

/rant off

P.S. crafted items with a medium or large slots increases their value by a huge factor. If you can find a Mithral Tower shield with a large guild slot on it, you could cap a toons plat in one sale.
    100% agree with your point. The advantage of crafted items over standard loot/raid items should be that while not overpowered the items allow flexibility in where you can put effects, so that you can mix and match crafted items with other loot to easily fill holes in your current gear setup.

For now, I'm just not bothering with crafted loot on my tr's. It's easier to just level up a slightly less powerful character and ignore crafting altogether.
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)