Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for DEX monk max DPS build

well, title says it all, I've been searching for a dex monk DPS build and only found a build I did not like very much.

thank you in advance!

DEX and Max DPS ?

Impossibru
    Sweep Pick or Die!
    Quote Originally Posted by JollySwagMan View Post
    But in terms of actual quest ideas, perhaps something where Halflings ride around on Warforged in battle-backpacks with shoulder-mounted repeating crossbows.

DEX will never be a MAX DPS build.

It can be a well balanced build that also has DEX and good DPS and good saves/AC.
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    DEX will never be a MAX DPS build.

It can be a well balanced build that also has DEX and good DPS and good saves/AC.
    I meant having DEX pretty much as a main stat (for wind stances), and have good wis + str

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teharahma View Post
    DEX and Max DPS ?

Impossibru
    does void striking count as max damage per second?

got to love erase from existence.

_________
    Monk: Uses void strike IV
    Enemy: where am i where is my clothes?!!?!?!
    Monk: sorry bud you have just been smeared by my epic fists
    Enemy: if that is true how am I talking?
    MOnk: Shut it bub.
    R.I.P
    Here ye olde Enemy gone without a sound.

You need 18 Dex for Grandmaster of winds. I'd suggest putting 16 or 15 points in there at creation and plan on a +2 or +3 dex tome. You really want as much strength as you can fit in if you want max DPS. How many points do you have to build with? Can you reasonably expect to get a +2 or +3 dex tome?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomKeypress View Post
    You need 18 Dex for Grandmaster of winds. I'd suggest putting 16 or 15 points in there at creation and plan on a +2 or +3 dex tome. You really want as much strength as you can fit in if you want max DPS. How many points do you have to build with? Can you reasonably expect to get a +2 or +3 dex tome?
    I've got a 32 point build, which I got vet 7 to go with. +2 tomes were always a pain for me (im just that bad at money and so unlucky), and you can understand the situation with +3. although getting a +2 dex tome wont be that hard.

Community Member

I would agree that making a good, viable monk requires 32 points if possible. Lets say human (which is a very good race for a monk).

Strength 16
    Dexterity 16
    Constitution 14
    Intelligence 8
    Wisdom 14
    Charisma 8

With a simple +2 Dex Tome you can put all level-ups into Strength and still get the final tier of air stance, and then work on getting the other +2 tomes along the way. Its fairly easy to get your hands on +2 tomes since their prices dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayness View Post
    I would agree that making a good, viable monk requires 32 points if possible. Lets say human (which is a very good race for a monk).

Strength 16
    Dexterity 16
    Constitution 14
    Intelligence 8
    Wisdom 14
    Charisma 8

With a simple +2 Dex Tome you can put all level-ups into Strength and still get the final tier of air stance, and then work on getting the other +2 tomes along the way. Its fairly easy to get your hands on +2 tomes since their prices dropped.
    Yeah, whats funny, is that the DDO economy is so complicated, that me and my friend started analysing it. DDOconomists FTW

Community Member

There are so many reasons to go Strength over Dexterity on a monk, in my opinion.

1. You save a feat (weapon finesse)
    2. You will be able to boost your +hit higher being Str-based as opposed to Dex-based (since there are more temporary buffs available to Str that are simply not available to Dex, Rage, Madstone Rage and Titan's Grip)
    3. Your potential tactical feats will have higher DC's (in case you go for stunning blow in addition to stunning fist, improved sunder or trip)

The negative is a slight loss in AC (which is really hard to make useful unless you build/gear for it, which costs alot of DPS) and Reflex Saves (which shouldn't be a problem on a monk build, especially a monk build with improved evasion).

If you want a good, solid human dark monk build I can write one up for you in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayness View Post
    There are so many reasons to go Strength over Dexterity on a monk, in my opinion.

1. You save a feat (weapon finesse)
    2. You will be able to boost your +hit higher being Str-based as opposed to Dex-based (since there are more temporary buffs available to Str that are simply not available to Dex, Rage, Madstone Rage and Titan's Grip)
    3. Your potential tactical feats will have higher DC's (in case you go for stunning blow in addition to stunning fist, improved sunder or trip)

The negative is a slight loss in AC (which is really hard to make useful unless you build/gear for it, which costs alot of DPS) and Reflex Saves (which shouldn't be a problem on a monk build, especially a monk build with improved evasion).

If you want a good, solid human dark monk build I can write one up for you in a few minutes.
    I want DEX for the wind stance, since I prefer attack speed over pure damage per hit.

Another question, what race do you suggest for monk? I have all the races available. My first 2 were:
    Warforged (Cause who doesnt like warforged?)
    half-elf (cause I like the diettante feats)

Community Member

Thats the thing, you can get just as fast hits as Str based as you can with Dex based, as long as you get the 18 final Dex to qualify for the final tier of air stance. 22 Dex or 18 Dex won't make any difference to your number of attacks.

Warforged *used* to be good monks, but now they're kind of falling behind in the arms-race compared to the new half-races. Both half-orc and half-elf will provide a more substantial benefit than warforged. And I have tried pretty much all races on monk builds now, to level 20, except elf and drow (since those provide absolutely nothing to a monk).

Personally I think half-elf is probably the best choice, taking either the cleric or rogue dilletante feats (depends on what you want, higher damage or more soloability). Half-orc is best for fighter splits (which are also very viable monk builds, going either 12 monk/8 fighter or some variant thereof), but for pure monk I would say half-elf

stats listed above are good for a damage monk.

do not do level 7 vet start if you haven't played monk before start at 1 and learn how o play your monk.

Go ninja spy (and thus dark path)
    use wind stance 95% of the time as that will be your best damage output.
    once you get geared and uber earth stance gets good damage but you kinda have to be maxed out to equal or exceed wind for damage.

race. half elf, human or dwarf are all good choices as are half orcs. WF and halflings are good for special build monks but avoid that till later lives/builds.

whole two weapon fighting chain, a toughness or 2, dodge for PrE, Improved crititical : Blunt and power attack for feats.

if you can squeak in Void strike IV do so ( need to grab a tome or two)
    Move along , Nothing to see here

except elf and drow (since those provide absolutely nothing to a monk).
    not entirely true other races may add more but elves do have some bennies. my last monk got put to beddy bye time in Haywire, elves are immune and dex enhancements aren't bad.
    but yeah they are by far my last choice for race. but if you like elves not much reason to not go elf. 2 con isn't near as huge as many make it out to be.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Half Elf.
    16 str, 16 dex, 14 con, 14 wis

Lvls in str

Take a look at the Horcrux build, but go helf.

Or go half orc. My monk is and I love him.
    Smrti///Warcrye///Dukkha///Nomey///Dhaarmika///Smrtiheals
    Focused Melee Discussion as of U17
    Proud Gimp of Crimson Eagles and now Loreseekers!

I'm two full lives away from my last pure monk.

Is no one going WIS based anymore?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    I'm two full lives away from my last pure monk.

Is no one going WIS based anymore?
    No. Not when you can get a 45+ stunning fist with 0 level-up points in wisdom + 14 starting wisdom. Better to do more damage for most builds, and be happy with decent DCs.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Quote Originally Posted by WruntJunior View Post
    No. Not when you can get a 45+ stunning fist with 0 level-up points in wisdom + 14 starting wisdom. Better to do more damage for most builds, and be happy with decent DCs.
    As someone has already said it's pretty easy to buff up str, not so much with wis. Yes you can can a 45+ stunning fist without levels into wis... How easy is it? Epic Spare Hand isn't an option for everyone and I personally believe a 1st life monk going finnese is very viable. Then you can get into epic gear, 3 fighter PL's etc...

That said later on in your monks future you can start adding in 3 piece abashai, E. ravens sight and all those goodies. BUT a wis based monk will ALWAYS out DPS a Str based monk. Simply landing a 500 point ToD over a 250 point will ensure that, and landing quivering palm on pallys in LoB is a great feeling.
    The Bladesworn
    Ranger UP
    •Wyckit¤Salokin¤Cruelest•
    «Ghallanda»

Quote Originally Posted by CodyGenX View Post
    As someone has already said it's pretty easy to buff up str, not so much with wis. Yes you can can a 45+ stunning fist without levels into wis... How easy is it? Epic Spare Hand isn't an option for everyone and I personally believe a 1st life monk going finnese is very viable. Then you can get into epic gear, 3 fighter PL's etc...

That said later on in your monks future you can start adding in 3 piece abashai, E. ravens sight and all those goodies. BUT a wis based monk will ALWAYS out DPS a Str based monk. Simply landing a 500 point ToD over a 250 point will ensure that, and landing quivering palm on pallys in LoB is a great feeling.
    Incorrect. A wisdom monk will do more damage than a strength monk with average gear, possibly (assuming the wis monk can hit)...but once both are well-geared, the strength monk is better. This is compounded by things like bosses being Improved Sundered now, which means they pretty much WILL fail their fort save the majority of the time.

As for whether or not a monk can get epic spare hand...they can, just depends on how patient they are. It'll take a bit of time, but you can get challenge items purely from free runs of the quests.

That aside, there is nothing inherently wrong with dex or wis-based monk builds...just, if you're looking for the best dps, they're not it. That's not to say they're bad...just that str-based is better for dps.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Community Member

A dex-based build will never be considered a max DPS build.

If you aren't a dex based build and are simply going dex for wind stance - someone correct me if I'm wrong - but I'm fairly sure earth stance provides more dps with the exception of crit immune mobs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast