Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67
  1. #41
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    599

    Default Epic gear

    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzacoala View Post
    No, for one simple reason.

    The expansion will be all about end game content at first... how will anyone be able to complete any of the epic quests with no gear?
    The flip side of that coin is you cannot expect new players to have to grind epic gear before they run the new content. It will always be possible for a newly capped toon to run the lowest level of the new content, albeit probably "carried" by competent groups.

    Of course having epic gear and stacking past life feats is going to help you, but my guess is that it won't be absolutely required. And the reason is simple, do you want to burden new players with requirement to run the latest content with months or years of grind to get "epic" gear and past life feats? And what about veterans, they are not going to want to roll a brand new Druid and have the requirement that they build epic gear and/or stack past lives just to run it with their guildies in raids. It just becomes prohibitive to the majority, which is not what an already niche game should do.

    I could be wrong, but judging by history on every previous level cap increase of this game, you should be able to make a new toon, level him to 20, get some decent (not Uber) gear and start playing the new content and getting the latest and greatest gear.

    The entire term "End Game", which for some reason comes up in this game community often, is a complete oxymoron. I mean "END" and "GAME" means you stop....the end...of...the game...done It should be referred to as "END GAME" content ever, unless of course you want the game to end. It should be referred to as "high level" or "epic" content and "base" or "low level" content. Every time I hear people say "End Game" I cringe and hold my tongue, I mean are you listening to what you say when you say "I want to play END GAME content".....
    RTFM on Khyber

  2. #42
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    7,230

    Default

    When I think about it, its not going to happen, because no one would be running any raids (except for the shroud maybe).

    Devs don't need to drop sales rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

  3. #43
    Community Member Zinruko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Successful troll is successful.

    Or successful troll is whiny because every around him has teh ubber gear and he is still trying to figure out why he's being declined from groups for wearing korthos sets at level 20.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga View Post
    Ravensguard is a funloving bunch of friendly gentlemen and lady. Please send Eez an ingame tell and he'll gladly invite you into the guild. If he doesn't invite you in right away, just keep trying. He loves meeting new people.

  4. #44
    Community Member SilkofDrasnia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,585

    Default

    /No
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

  5. #45
    Community Member AbyssalMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Machination View Post
    The flip side of that coin is you cannot expect new players to have to grind epic gear before they run the new content. It will always be possible for a newly capped toon to run the lowest level of the new content, albeit probably "carried" by competent groups.

    Of course having epic gear and stacking past life feats is going to help you, but my guess is that it won't be absolutely required. And the reason is simple, do you want to burden new players with requirement to run the latest content with months or years of grind to get "epic" gear and past life feats? And what about veterans, they are not going to want to roll a brand new Druid and have the requirement that they build epic gear and/or stack past lives just to run it with their guildies in raids. It just becomes prohibitive to the majority, which is not what an already niche game should do.
    Too many MMO companies believe you should grind. Look at the top grossing MMO's and you can never do the new release with out spending months doing old content if your "new" or started a new toon. i.e. The Druid that was released with the expansion. DDO is different, but not by a lot. There still is a grind, but people seem to be more accommodating to it in DDO.

    I could be wrong, but judging by history on every previous level cap increase of this game, you should be able to make a new toon, level him to 20, get some decent (not Uber) gear and start playing the new content and getting the latest and greatest gear.
    Lets hope this continues.

    The entire term "End Game", which for some reason comes up in this game community often, is a complete oxymoron. I mean "END" and "GAME" means you stop....the end...of...the game...done It should be referred to as "END GAME" content ever, unless of course you want the game to end. It should be referred to as "high level" or "epic" content and "base" or "low level" content. Every time I hear people say "End Game" I cringe and hold my tongue, I mean are you listening to what you say when you say "I want to play END GAME content".....
    The term "end game" isn't a oxymoron. You act like the phrase only has one definition. Look in the dictionary and you will notice a single word can have multiple definitions so it stands to reason a phrase could have multiple definitions as well. You have to read and comprehend the sentence to determine the definition. So, it may be a rant on your part, but doesn't mean you are correct.

  6. #46
    Community Member Sleepsalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,998

    Default

    @ the OP YES!!!!!! Can I have your Stuff??????????????<<< Yes I said it.... Sorry Bad Idea you have but I still want all your stuff.... LoL
    Sleeps

  7. #47
    Community Member noinfo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Combat_Wombat View Post
    The portal to FR should be Terminator style and everyone plops down on the other side naked. Start from scratch with the gear power creep would be an exciting way to mix things up.
    And while at it have everyones memory wiped so they cannot remember past lives?

    Wait till you see the power creep involved in FR, but then we are after all looking at epic levels so I would expect to see power increase as would most people.
    Milacias of Kyber

    Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

  8. #48
    Community Member noinfo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepsalot View Post
    @ the OP YES!!!!!! Can I have your Stuff??????????????<<< Yes I said it.... Sorry Bad Idea you have but I still want all your stuff.... LoL
    Sleeps
    I get the impression that anyone suggesting such an idea may not have anything really worth having
    Milacias of Kyber

    Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

  9. #49
    Community Member Combat_Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noinfo View Post
    I get the impression that anyone suggesting such an idea may not have anything really worth having
    You guys caught me! How insightful of you. All of my characters don't have anything but korthos gear so my vindictive nature makes me want to take away everyone gear so I will be king! Make a real argument ffs
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Ultimately you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it be a good player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant
    Please don't make posts like this, thanks.
    You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

  10. #50
    Community Member noinfo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Combat_Wombat View Post
    You guys caught me! How insightful of you. All of my characters don't have anything but korthos gear so my vindictive nature makes me want to take away everyone gear so I will be king! Make a real argument ffs
    Sure not that there has not already been arguements provided but here you go:

    1. The game is about character development, interaction with other players to overcome obstacles and in the process have fun.

    2. Character development occurs through playing thereby leveling and equiping that character. The amount of time spent in either element of that process is determined by what interests the player most. Players who enjoy gearing their characters have spent quite a bit of it grinding for the gear, this is not to say they did not have fun doing it, but having their characters decked out in the gear they want provides them with the satisfaction a new player might have leveling to 20 for the first time or a completionist may feel when they reach that goal.

    Your suggestion arbitarily destroys that achievement without regard to those players and certainly gives the impression of being
    1. Selfish (an observation based on your post not your personality) as you give no regard to others
    2. Either not caring about your gear or having none (hence my original light hearted response)

    Worse you have hedged your idea based on power creep. The simple fact that we are entering epic levels as has been pointed out by many already. Level increase equates to increased power over what we have already, items we already have are likely to be weaker (to what magnitue who knows) or at worst of similar power but without the need to get seals, shards and scrolls.
    Milacias of Kyber

    Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

  11. #51
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    599

    Default End Game Oxymorn

    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    The term "end game" isn't a oxymoron. You act like the phrase only has one definition. Look in the dictionary and you will notice a single word can have multiple definitions so it stands to reason a phrase could have multiple definitions as well. You have to read and comprehend the sentence to determine the definition. So, it may be a rant on your part, but doesn't mean you are correct.
    Ok, I admit, it is a bit of a rant.....you caught me

    But, if you defer to a dictionary definition we have:

    1. Games: The final stage of a chess game after most of the pieces have been removed from the board.

    I don't think that applies here either, even if used as a metaphor. The reason being the definition assumes an outcome of an "END" to a static rule set game, with an eventual winner and a loser (or a tie). It is an apples and oranges comparison so even the metaphor does not apply.

    And I still say its an oxymoron because DDO is a dynamic, expanding and evolving game not even close to "the end". And the proof is that every single quest that has been called "End Game" for the past year will no longer fall into that definition next year.......or am I missing something.
    RTFM on Khyber

  12. #52
    Community Member dredre9987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Ok no gear in epic areas? NO thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

  13. #53
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    11,008

    Default

    /no in general,

    but I am for having a quest(chain) where all your gear goes into a TR style bank until you exit the quest. Just not this mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

  14. #54
    Community Member EustaceTrevelyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyerz View Post
    ... a bunch of naked Eberronians pop out and start breaking barrels in Eveningstar!
    Ouch! Are you sure you wanted to phrase it that way?

  15. #55
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinruko View Post
    Successful troll is successful.

    Or successful troll is whiny because every around him has teh ubber gear and he is still trying to figure out why he's being declined from groups for wearing korthos sets at level 20.
    Meh - my healers get into (and have solo healed) Shoruds wearing Korthos gear......

  16. #56
    Community Member NaturalHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CodyGenX View Post
    Pfft... My monk walks around nekkid all the time! He even gets up on the quarterdeck of our airship and puts on a striptease when people get invited to craft on our ship. Pretty soon it will be more interesting when his little halfling body is cast aside and his spirit into the body of a moderately feminine half-elf man. Let's see those drow try to fight whilst cringing in terror from Kihatori's sexual advances. God knows he loves the silken white hair of a drow woman
    The way half elf men dance are you sure its the drow women he will be make advances towards?


    Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    /no in general,

    but I am for having a quest(chain) where all your gear goes into a TR style bank until you exit the quest. Just not this mod.
    I would love this........... but yeah what if it was horribly bugged? This wouldnt supprise me with the way things where going lately, someone goes into the quest and poof years and years of gear that they grinded for just vanishes forever.
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 04-24-2012 at 08:46 AM.

  17. #57
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    25,195

    Default

    Usually the blanket stripping of all gear in P&P was the DM saying the party was too powerful. The party loses a battle but instead of all being killed they wake up tied to posts with regular nonmagics clothing on. Oldest trick in the book. It got boring REFing campaigns after watching the 5th different DM trying to pull this one off, because it was usually their fault the party was OP in the first place.

  18. #58
    Community Member gerardIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Combat_Wombat View Post
    The portal to FR should be Terminator style and everyone plops down on the other side naked. Start from scratch with the gear power creep would be an exciting way to mix things up.
    Sure start naked in lvl 17+ content ...

  19. #59
    Hero Cardoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    719

    Default

    "LEROY Jenkins" (naked)

  20. #60
    Community Member BoBo2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyerz View Post
    Imagine what the poor Faerunians will think if a bunch of naked Eberronians pop out and start breaking barrels in Eveningstar!
    I think it would be funny if it was considered rude and/or a crime to break barrels in Eveningstar!

    I can picture gentle Faeruns saying ***! That was our winter stores!!

    ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload