Default Do we all need to be 1337?

I've been doing some thinking recently and I wanted to bounce something off the rest of the DDO Forum Community. Please bear with me if you can.

Much of the discussion (and dissention) on these boards seems to involve 2 seemingly disparate groups of players - the "elites" and the "non-elites."

I'm sure we all know the "elite" types (constantly raiding, do all the quests on Elite difficulty with very few issues, do the Epic quests regularly, have 400+ HPs on their non-melee builds, have 600+ HPs on their Melee builds, have 80+ ACs on at least one toon, and have at least one toon with Epic gear in at least 8 of their equipment slots, etc.) as well as the "non-elite" types (not going to go into detail here as I don't want to cause even more fighting).

Suffice it to say we know who these players (both kinds) are and they are constantly bickering about various aspects of DDO (CON not being a dump stat for one, or whether Multi-classed players are inherently abuser-types) that, quite frankly, they don't even need to be bickering about.

I think a lot of the problems arise when one of these groups claims to be superior to the other.

My mind wonders whether it's OK to be "non-elite" as well as "elite?"

I gotta say, yes, it's ok to be whatever you want to be but please understand it's also ok for others to be what they want to be.

If you're a guy who like to group with friends, take your time, strategize, figure out the best role for your toon and not let the roles inter-mix, that's fine. You don't HAVE to be "elite." There's nothing wrong with that. If you don't want your healer to have over 400 HPs because you'd rather spend your build points on CHA or DEX instead of CON, that's ok too. Just realize your play style may not mix well with others' play style and you're not going to convince the "elites" otherwise. Stay within your normal group, have fun, strategize, or whatever. Don't antagonize those much different from you by lecturing them on HOW to play DDO. The simple fact is, there is no ONE way to play DDO properly. It's OK to be "non-elite."

Likewise, for the "elites," it's ok if you like to multiclass, zerg, have a buttload of HPs, do Epic Lord of Blades quests, give each other a hard time, brag, or whatever. Just you guys also keep in mind there are other players who may not be as good (know the quests, be more co-ordinated, have better gear, etc.) as you. Please remember the "non-elites" might be having just as much fun as you and their play style is just as legitimate to them as yours is to you.

I think it would be better for all concerned that the "elites" not mock the "non-elites" and that the "non-elites" should not try to be something they're not or try to justify themselves by trying to compare themselves to the "elites" and saying they're "just as good."

The two groups are different and that's ok. It's when these two groups mix is when the trouble starts.

The "non-elites" have a legitimate way to play and so do the "elites." The two, however, should probably not mix, either in the game or on the DDO Forums, as nothing good will come from their disagreements.

DISCLAIMER: I do not mean to insults anyone when I use the terms "elites" and "non-elites." I find the terms merely convenient to distinguish two main groups of DDO Players/Forum Posters.
    Last edited by Arkat; 04-20-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

My only requirement for DDO is that I have fun. What's the use of playing a game if it's not fun?
    Once upon a time, I was part of a team, and we saved some children. What have you done with your life?

I play this game to have fun. What "fun" mean to me is of no relative consequence to anyone but me.

Happy 4/20 Y'All! PEACE!

Just put 1337 in your bio and your already there!!!!
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Do we all need to be elite?

Absolutely not. The purpose of the game is to have fun, not to prove anything to anyone.

Unless your idea of "fun" is to prove... something. In which case not only you should be elite, you should put "1337" into your name. That way I will know right away not to group with you.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

witty comment about your mother goes here

I like to think of myself as the anti-elite.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhofan View Post
    DDDDDddddddDDDOOOOOOOooooOOOODOOOOOOMMMMMMmmmmmMMM MM!!!111!!!!!1!

I'm pretty open in groups as long as we can complete and I don't feel my time was wasted. I'm ok if things take longer or are a little harder because some members of the group are in the middle to low range of effectiveness. I use the word effective because that could mean any combination of skill, gear, or experience. I know some people don't run like that and get very upset if anything goes wrong. Anytime you get this many people together for discussion or some collaborative effort like a quest, you're going to get a wide range of personalities and skill sets, and they won't always mix well. It isn't as easy as saying "Can’t we all just get along?”
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

Elites hate it when the devs make things more accessible for the casuals. Especially when they've invested a buttload of time into grinding something or achieving something.

Casuals resent the barriers to entry for a lot of content, based on lack of skill, time or willingness to work at meeting the needed thresholds.

Casuals get most of the dev. love because the numbers (and dollars) are much greater. But if you totally alienate the elites then you lose the teachers and the people who set the benchmarks that people can aspire too. Not to mention you lose the people who write all of the guides and make all of the videos the casuals reference constantly.

It's a messed situation because the groups are diametrically opposed; and it's a mutually exclusive relationship.
    scrollfu! meowfu! +4fu! firstyfu!
    Maarl de Gutter (ret.) ~ Gnaaarl de Mutter (ret.) ~ Nineinch Rails (ret.)
    Intragreenis Druid - Human FvS [x2] Evoker ~ Guttural de Chanter - Elf Wiz [x4] PM
    Potpourri de Foo Foo - WF Wiz [Sx3][FvSx3][Wx3] Shiradi

Oh, this is a rebranding of the Hardcore/Casual argument. I thought you where going to talk about actual gameplay skills.

Time is spent in game. It is what you get for that time that is important. Fun is not easily measureable, pixels are used as a a gateway to more content, but otherwise have little positive effect.

I prefer grab 5 and go. If that means I need to be able to pull myself and another through the quest, then that is what I do to get my fun. Even if that means doing the research and building a more "1337' character by design.

-----------------

As to skills, no we do not have to have them. Having skills is best, finding others with skills is almost as beneficial. Very few quests/raids require them for more then a portion of the folks there.

I do not feel that designing for the 1337 or the highly skilled is in the best interests of a game that wants to be massive.
    Occasionally playing on Cannith

Llyren, Kelda and some others.

What is the significance of the number 1337? Never heard the reference before.

Z
    Zrack-Ranger 16 Zelman-Barb12/Fighter2/Rogue2

Quote Originally Posted by Zraack View Post

Z
    1337 = leet (aka elite)

(1 looks like an "l", 3 looks like a backward "E" and 7 looks like a "T")
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Z
    1337 x Pi = 80081E5
    scrollfu! meowfu! +4fu! firstyfu!
    Maarl de Gutter (ret.) ~ Gnaaarl de Mutter (ret.) ~ Nineinch Rails (ret.)
    Intragreenis Druid - Human FvS [x2] Evoker ~ Guttural de Chanter - Elf Wiz [x4] PM
    Potpourri de Foo Foo - WF Wiz [Sx3][FvSx3][Wx3] Shiradi

Z
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Im elite. Im so good that I have to intentionally play like a muppet to stop others feeling bad.

I play like this 100% of the time.... just so I dont get confused and go from solo being mustard and then go upsetting grubby little puggers when I leet all up in their grill.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanvar View Post
    I believe my left thumb is Gimp. I think I need to reroll.
    DDO Acronyms: http://ddowiki.com/page/Glossary
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...78#post2326178

Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    1337 x Pi = 80081E5

It's not accurate, but funny none the less.

Do we have to be Elite? no Does it help? Yes =D

Here's how I view it, wen running with Elites you tend not too talk and you find yourself going into "the zone" and have this massive adreniline rush while running through the quest. The advantage when running with Elites is you get a lot of xp and they usually know all the tricks of the trade.

Bad side however is they tend to get sore when they lose some of thier xp. I find that Elites tend to be of the younger generation (which I am a part of) and maybe thats why I enjoy it so much.

However "non elites" usually like to take things slow and I find that I like hanging out with them If i need a break from all the zerging around. non elites seem to talk more and joke around and are perfect for down time =)

Hope i didn't offend anyone but this is just my input

My dog in this fight is basically that the "non elite" are used as a scapegoat for the "semi elite" to get elite difficulty quests nerfed to autocompletion status due to some feeling of entitlement that more XP and more reward should be for everyone and not something that is earned.

For me its not an issue of casual players wanting to be casual. Its an issue of people wanting the same rewards the elite players earn, but not wanting to earn them themselves. Notice its not the "non elite" players complaining about quest difficulty. Its the transitioning players who complain and then use the "non elite" as scapegoats for reasoning that the game needs to be dumbed down on the most difficult settings - because thats where the most XP is. Nevermind that it has 3 less difficult settings already.

The actual beef between "elite" and "non elite" players is exagerated to the point of hilarity, because its not the "non elite" players doing the complaining for the most part. Its players who dont have as much time complaining about players who have more time. If they fail a quest they cant just jump back in and run it again with the limited time factor.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    1337 x Pi = 80081E5
    Well, more like this: 1337 x Pi = 5318008. Which is possibly why I'm lousy with math now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    My dog in this fight is basically that the "non elite" are used as a scapegoat for the "semi elite" to get elite difficulty quests nerfed to autocompletion status due to some feeling of entitlement that more XP and more reward should be for everyone and not something that is earned.
    You're an Us v. Them kinda guy, eh?

I dunno, I'm a lot more concerned about playing with reasonably intelligent, interesting people who aren't absolutely terrible at either the game or interacting with others. And I think most players feel about the same, in spite of the noise here. The forums are mostly for whining, and those of us inclined to come here are kind of obligated to participate.