Community Member

Default Bard or Artificer?

coming back to ddo. I have a lvl 3 bard and lvl 1 arty. which class is least played and/or most needed? I like support but I don't want to be the main healer. i like supporting by preventing damage, or by mezzing. I also like to cast spells. Which of these would work best with this or should i try to multiclass? I liked the bard the best becasue of his utility early on but the arty has very interesting spells. I also kinda like the favored soul but he seems more limited and I may end up having to main heal. what should I do?

Shadrir

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrir View Post
    coming back to ddo. I have a lvl 3 bard and lvl 1 arty. which class is least played and/or most needed? I like support but I don't want to be the main healer. i like supporting by preventing damage, or by mezzing. I also like to cast spells. Which of these would work best with this or should i try to multiclass? I liked the bard the best becasue of his utility early on but the arty has very interesting spells. I also kinda like the favored soul but he seems more limited and I may end up having to main heal. what should I do?

Shadrir
    Neither Bard not Arti will generally be expected to main heal. Artis in general don't have a lot of fleshy healing options, and nobody really expects a bard to keep an entire party alive unless specifically built for it. Bard have access to better crowd control/mezzing (otto's irresistable dance) as well as Inspire Courage being a great boon to any group, but Artis have a lot of unique infusions to buff weapons and armor, as well as better damage potential from their spells like Blade Barrier.

I'd say that you should lean Arti if you want to be casting spells as a significant portion of your damage and overall activities. A bard, especially warchanter, is more likely to keep buffs up while otherwise swinging a weapon for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Valindria View Post
    Bards are awesome.
    That is also true.

Shadrir
    The bard is better for mezzing and damage mitigation whether you go with more of a caster build or more of a melee build simply with using fascinate and OID. A caster build would have a few more mezzing options.

If you are looking at spell casting the big difference is that the artificer tends towards better direct damage spells and the bard spells are better for charms and mezzes. Both have some nice buffs.

If you want to go with crowd control style of bard you might still want to have a focus on healing. Bard CC is very effective in some content and CC in general is only used in certain content so you would want to have a strong contribution in other ways besides CC and buffs. The other option would be melee for better damage.

Community Member

thx for the comments. The bard is nice but the spells and songs don't look as attractive and fun as the artificers. Are artificers 'flavor of the month' now? I don't mind healing but I don't want to just do that. i was thinking of going virtuoso or spellsinger or multiclassing the bard to get more spell variety.

Shadrir

Just make sure to turn your sound effects off if you play an Artificer. Clink, clink, clink...clink, clink, clink (repeat ad-nausia) gets annoying really fast when you play an Arty.

Bards are a lot of fun, and a Virtuoso Rocks btw. I have a lot more fun playing a Bard than an Artificer. As a Bard, there is no content that I feel I can't solo (until the boss fight).

It takes a certain type of player to play a Bard. Every Bard I have ever run with has a really cool person behind the keyboard.

Rock On!
    Jyn... Kender... Thelanis

*Insert clever comment here*

Community Member

Thumbs up

I think that the arti is more user friendly then the bard but having said that I think the bard is more desirable in a party. I would rather bring a bard into the party instead of an arti. The arti if built correctly can remove a target from attacking even before it comes into melee range but the bard can keep them occupied until they can be taken care of. It's a toss up in my opinion for game play. Mitigation of damage verses killing the monster before it gets to you. I have tried on many occasions to build and play a bard and have never been able to do it but I had an arti to 20 in under a month. I would say a bard if you like playing in parties and contribute to the groups over all effectiveness. The arti is also great in parties but assists in other areas more damage oriented then the bard.

So after having rambled for a paragraph it all comes down to play style i think. What ever you choose I would try to level the other as an alt as you go so you an get a grasp of both characters.

/wanders off mumbling to himself.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

They're both good classes. Both have very desirable buffs in a group. If you like the idea of killing stuff with a repeater and doing traps go arti. If you're more into crowd control casting go spellsinger bard and if you want to melee go warchanter bard.

As far as most needed I'd definitely say bard. I see way more artis than bards running around. I'm pretty sure bard is the least played class. And no, bards are hardly ever expected to function as the main healer.
    Last edited by axel15810; 04-20-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kclark1980 View Post
    I think that the arti is more user friendly then the bard but having said that I think the bard is more desirable in a party. I would rather bring a bard into the party instead of an arti. The arti if built correctly can remove a target from attacking even before it comes into melee range but the bard can keep them occupied until they can be taken care of. It's a toss up in my opinion for game play. Mitigation of damage verses killing the monster before it gets to you. I have tried on many occasions to build and play a bard and have never been able to do it but I had an arti to 20 in under a month. I would say a bard if you like playing in parties and contribute to the groups over all effectiveness. The arti is also great in parties but assists in other areas more damage oriented then the bard.

So after having rambled for a paragraph it all comes down to play style i think. What ever you choose I would try to level the other as an alt as you go so you an get a grasp of both characters.

/wanders off mumbling to himself.
    It really does come down to playstyle. I have capped two Bards, but could not get an Artificer past level 10. Eventually I will cap my Arty, but tbh I prefer a monk archer as a ranged character for the mobility, stunning fist, and melee capability, and for traps I either play an assassin or a splashed bard.

Bards do have more of an impact on a party imho. You will hardly notice whether an Arty is in the party or not, while good players will notice a big difference when a Bard is in the group. I have played with some really good Artificers who would nullify this statement, but they seem to be the exception and not the rule.

Community Member

Very true play style is the #1 decision for the class question. I love my cleric hate my favored soul. I love my sorcerer but hate my wizard. I love my palidin but hate my monk. I love my artificier but have a hard time with the bard. That is why i recommend leveling them both for a while. I would say get to the 8 to 12 range and then make the final choice.

Quote Originally Posted by kclark1980 View Post
    Very true play style is the #1 decision for the class question. I love my cleric hate my favored soul. I love my sorcerer but hate my wizard. I love my palidin but hate my monk. I love my artificier but have a hard time with the bard. That is why i recommend leveling them both for a while. I would say get to the 8 to 12 range and then make the final choice.
    That is awesome! We seem to be complete opposites on all those character choices. *Laughs at the irony*

Yep, play what is fun for you to play. Nothing else matters.

Cya around the playground!

Community Member

What about going 14 bard/ 6 artificer or 14 Artificer/6 bard for the best of both? Which would be the better split? Are they viable if you have either a pure bard or pure artificer in a group? THis looks like it could bring nice buffs plus more damage and decent back up healing and cc.

Shadrir

Don't multiclass a character unless you planned from the begining to be a multiclass.

Community Member

What about going 14 bard/ 6 artificer or 14 Artificer/6 bard for the best of both? Which would be the better split? Are they viable if you have either a pure bard or pure artificer in a group? THis looks like it could bring nice buffs plus more damage and decent back up healing and cc.
    Shadrir
    I like the 6 arti/14 bard split - in theory. it brings decent songs, traps, CL13 heal scrolls @ +75 % mastery, lot of buffs... otoh no evasion and weak runearm, and suspiciously looking split, might not be readily accepted to parties. Here some build ideas: http://ddowiki.com/page/User:Cru121

Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

Shadrir
    To be honest I don't think that the 14 Arti/6 Bard split would be that strong.

6th level arti spells are quite awesome (Blade Barrier is a must in my opinion, Deadly Weapons is an upgrade to Elemental Weapons and works on everything, Tactical Detonation is good for CC, and Recon is awesome or WF). Plus with only 6 levels of Bard (assuming Warchanter) the best your song could be would be +3 to-hit (non-stacking with Greater Heroism) and +4 damage.

So basically you've traded all of your 6th level spells to give your party +3 situational damage (since Deadly Weapons gives +1 more damage on average than Elemental Weapons). Also Rune Arm overcharge 2 is at level 16, and that really helps to improve your DPS while moving.

14 Bard/6 Arti would be better (though again you're making trade-offs). That combination is probably ok in the current game, though when the enhancement revamp finally comes out you won't be able to take a tier 3 Bard PrE without a +3LR heart or a TR heart.

Community Member

Thanks again for all of the responses. I definetely like the magic playstyle over the melee. I am thinking about making a spell focused bard and/or a spell focused artificer. However, I like buffing and I like the bard songs. I don't mind healing but I don't want to be a main healer. i also would like to do damage with spells. I would go Favored Soul but I'm afraid I would be called on to main heal.