Thread: Companions

Default Companions

ok so the new pets are cute and everything but is there another purpose to them? I always ask people to dismiss them while in my groups because I believe that they cause extra lag. what are your thoughts?
    massivheals / massivsponge - Orien server
    Member of Blood bath and Beyond
    Guild webpage-
    http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.asp...&TabID=3674790

Quote Originally Posted by Quilny View Post
    ok so the new pets are cute and everything but is there another purpose to them? I always ask people to dismiss them while in my groups because I believe that they cause extra lag. what are your thoughts?
    Pets make monsters have to do a DC: "Cuteness" save... Or be frozen with the cutness...

On a more serious note, they shouldnt cause lagg. For that matter, any summons, arti pets, and archons would cause lagg. If they cause lagg for you, simply reduce the player crowd quality options panel. Helps a lot in raids and crowded public areas.

"Hikari datte, yami datte, kitto"

Into light, into darkness, surely.

is there another purpose to them?
    Probably not, that's why I named my Kobold Shaman "Piker".

Default Quilny Approved

Quote Originally Posted by akash View Post
    Probably not, that's why I named my Kobold Shaman "Piker".
    you just made me laugh +1
    Guild webpage-

I'm glad to see you dropped party to post another nonsense thread on the orien forums.

WTG!
    SidekickzDysmoniaEilisia PSSC

Default never in your party

Quote Originally Posted by Slink View Post
    I'm glad to see you dropped party to post another nonsense thread on the orien forums.

WTG!
    sorry sir but I havent been in a group with you all day and doubt i will be in the near future.
    Guild webpage-

Not believe that companions cause lag, maybe if u have bad pc

Toons:
    Sonilasfx/Sonilax/Soniilax/Sonnifly/Soniburn/Soniitank/Soniwraps

that's a mac soni..

I'm not realy happy with the aproach turbine made with companions. yeah there are familiars and companions in d&d.. but I'm fairly sure there are no gucci pink bracelets involved. also pen and paper offer the option that a stray adventurer might come along and squash your spider companion (I would love that option in DDO btw, Devs.)...

Nah, companions don't cause lag.

We actually had a lot of fun in eVoN the other night as two kobold shamans went "Weeee" every time we hid behind the rock while Velah was breathing fire.

Also they make stainding in front of the raid enterance waiting for others to come a bit more bearable.

This is what we have in unga-bunga land. Detachable screen!

Uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh... uh-oh...
    Last edited by Isharah; 04-18-2012 at 03:36 AM.

ok so the new pets are cute and everything but is there another purpose to them?
    You answered your own question. They are everything, what else is there to add to "everything" but nothing?

Default <3 love my companions

I think sadly the lag has been here and is never going away. Everytime they tweek it gets bad, then gets better again, then they tweek again and its an endless cycle. So might as well have something cute, like me new winter wolf pup and kolbold shaman to keep my company. If It was a PnP campain I would surely have one Besides they do add entertainment value.

Its been thoroughly tested on Lamania and live that the companions do not cause lag. They do not use the same mechanic as lantern archons or summon monsters but instead are more like cosmetic armors and hair.

The pets are rendered completely client side. When you approach a player and the server gets data to display the player is when your client starts rendering the pet. They cause no more lag than a cosmetic armor or custom hairdo and significantly less lag than a FVS Lantern Archon which does interact with server.

Clients always render the pet next to its owner and its rendered at the time you see it. Players that see the pet earlier will see the pet in a slightly different position then you since its done client side not server side.

You can test this easily. Takes 2 people. Have one person summon a pet on a guild ship. Second person leaves the ship. Person with pet move around so the pet isn't directly behind you then stop moving. Second person come back to the ship. Person with Pet will see the pet where its stopped moving, person 2 will see the pet directly behind player with pet, in default position.

The pets send no data to your client or the server. The only thing you are receiving is player display data that you normally receive, like player has robe 0002, hair 0001, face 0003, or sword 0001. Most likely something like "Player has pet 0000" for no pet, "Player Has Pet 0001" for Wolf, "0002" for spider, etc...
    Last edited by Vengeance777; 04-18-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    Server: Orien
    Guild: Over Raided
    Toons: Phasma - Swashbuckler ; Ceroni - Acrobat ; Selina Air Savant ; Cachin - Artificer

LOL HERE IS MY PET!

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    The chance of tomes dropping is actually getting a significant increase.In Update 16, those odds are increased to 1 in 333.The new Upgrade tomes will be a sizable percentage of all ability tome drops- for example, when a +4 tome would drop, it will instead have a 25% chance of being a +4 to +5 upgrade tome. (quote edited for size)

Quote Originally Posted by dmslasher View Post
    LOL HERE IS MY PET!
    Nice one. XD
    Isharah(water savant) | Moooo I'm a Turtle(turtle tank) | Darlene(typical healer wannabe)

I'd like to know if the pets cause healing spells to vanish without proccing on targets. Several times I watched my mass healings not proc when a cosmetic pet was active.

And please please please make them target for Kormor's. And give an emote */step on* for those things. In fact they can become an annoying distraction.

According to the dev.s they shouldn't cause any lag.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Community Member

I have heard mention that they can block incoming damage spells from enemy casters if they are between you and the caster. I do not have one so don't know, is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Zipwire View Post
    I have heard mention that they can block incoming damage spells from enemy casters if they are between you and the caster. I do not have one so don't know, is this true?
    I don't think that this is true. I thought there was a Dev response which stated that Mobs don't even see the pets.

I think that the main purpose of the pets is to give friendly jabs towards people with whom you run often.

Fun fact: I named my Spider 'Kobold'.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.