Community Member

Default 32 point builds, Adventure packs and TP Sales

New player Update:

So I've been quietly leveling my paladin (7th atm) and making my way around Stormreach. Finally got a grip on Collectible inventory management, crafting and the AH - got a pretty good bead on F2P dungeons and favor - I've been farming the adventure packs that I bought: Tangleroot - making a killing on Flowers - and STK (Delaria's is too hard for me to farm and Im working on just getting through the quests there for now, I hit a brickwall during "the missing party" quest and had to look up how to pass the gates solo - hirelings - pft!) And now I want to try my hand at Character Builds...

I love my Paladin - Lay on Hands - Smite - Spells - other tactical melee options through enhancements - its pretty friggen awesome!! THF, Glancing Blows FTW and power attack - lethal combination - and it is rare that I die...

Sidebar: Is being incapacitated the same as dying to you guys? I don't count it as dying if I can re-gain consciousness - self heal and finish the quest. I do however, count it as dying if I get a soul stone and a big death box message and have to release - anyways - just wondering what everyone else thought about that.

Back to my Build questions - as I was saying, I love my Pally BUT - I kind of wish that I was able to do some rouge stuff like DD, OL, Search - I know there are areas in dungeons that Im not able to access because of I cant /rouge

Also I would like to have a little more effectiveness at ranged combat when its needed.

However when playing around with the character planner - im finding it very hard to spread my ability score around enough to cover what I need - 32 point build would help as well as some tomes - I also would love to have shared banking right now and not after years of grinding favor...

Which brings me to my question - I want to buy some TP's and buy the 32 build and shared banking but i don't want to pay full price - I bought the triple point sale a few weeks ago and promptly spent them all - I was wondering if there is anyway to know in advanced if there is going to be any point sales coming up - It would sorely suck if I bought some points and the next day they went on sale...

Thanks for reading - any post is appreciated.
    Sorry about the ramble -

MacR

Unfortunately as far as I know sales happen when they happen, there's no warnings. Might be wrong tho, as I don't follow turbine/ddo on twitter or fb/google.

One bit of advice - you can UNLOCK 32 point builds on a given server by reaching 1750 total favor there, and it's usually a better idea to do that rather then spend points on it. Spend them on adventure packs instead!
    Besides, even if you bought the builds right now, you'd still need to perform a greater reincarnation or recreate your paladin.

As far as roGUe skills and ranged go, just try to find a party, with the expansion approaching a lot of people are TRing and low-level pugs are usually plenty, at least on Ghallanda. Splashing a class like paladin, especially as a newer player is generally a bad idea.
    Last edited by Puppetian; 04-17-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    Silvercypher - Ahril - Silverslash
    Ghallanda

Community Member

Glad to hear that you're having fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MacRighteous View Post
    New player Update:

Sidebar: Is being incapacitated the same as dying to you guys? I don't count it as dying if I can re-gain consciousness - self heal and finish the quest. I do however, count it as dying if I get a soul stone and a big death box message and have to release - anyways - just wondering what everyone else thought about that.

Well I don't think incap = death, it just means you lose consciousness and is on the verge of death. I play Permadeath often (where death=reroll), so an incap = "Mayday! Mayday! Help please!!!"

Back to my Build questions - as I was saying, I love my Pally BUT - I kind of wish that I was able to do some rouge stuff like DD, OL, Search - I know there are areas in dungeons that Im not able to access because of I cant /rouge

Also I would like to have a little more effectiveness at ranged combat when its needed.

I'm not a build expert, so other more experienced posters might help you. If I'm not mistaken, a pally/rogue has been done in my PD guild, but then we focus on the levelling and questing and not on endgame. A lot of builds posted in the forums are geared towards end game with max DPS (damage per second), HP, survivability etc.

However when playing around with the character planner - im finding it very hard to spread my ability score around enough to cover what I need - 32 point build would help as well as some tomes - I also would love to have shared banking right now and not after years of grinding favor...

Which brings me to my question - I want to buy some TP's and buy the 32 build and shared banking but i don't want to pay full price - I bought the triple point sale a few weeks ago and promptly spent them all - I was wondering if there is anyway to know in advanced if there is going to be any point sales coming up - It would sorely suck if I bought some points and the next day they went on sale...

It's hard to know when the next BIG point sale - they don't advertise in advance and maybe a week in advance etc. If they did, well no one would buy points normally and will just wait.

Same goes with sale on store items - there was massive 75% discount on all lowlevel adventure packs a few weeks ago, so it can be quite random. However, do keep an eye on Festivault Sale which is near Christmas (usually). They have special 50% of 1 store item daily for a few weeks - some items might be trivial bu there might be some good items as well.

Just keep an eye out for weekly sales. I bought 32-point builds on 20% like, few months after I went VIP. If you want to maximise the value of your TP purchase and store items, that's the waiting game you have to play.

Thanks for reading - any post is appreciated.
    Sorry about the ramble -

MacR
    Responses in red.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Puppetian View Post
    Unfortunately as far as I know sales happen when they happen, there's no warnings. Might be wrong tho, as I don't follow turbine/ddo on twitter or fb/google.

One bit of advice - you can UNLOCK 32 point builts by reaching 1750 total favor on a server, it's usually a better idea to do that rather then spend points on it. Spend them on adventure packs instead! Besides, even if you bought the builds right now, you'd still need to perform a greater reincarnation or recreate your paladin.
    I'd like to point out that this is subjective - I don't think it is easy to unlock reach 1750 favour for a new player. I only managed to reach 1750 favour around lvl 18, and that's after I went VIP and has access to adventure packs (f2p content starts becoming more scarce around lvl 13-ish, though there have been some new content recently).

Again, it depends if you're the kind that don't mind the grind. Running quests on elite for max favour per quest isn't the easiest thing for a new player without an optimized build, twink gear or advanced quest knowledge.

I hit 1750 half way through level 17. As you say it is very hard to do. My issue is I run with hirelings 90% of the time and that eats up a lot of TP for the Gold Seals. I will one day soon get account wide 32 point build.. But if some one can afford it at lower levels I would advise getting it. ASAP. I Did get the CE preorder Pack but used the 2k points to Recarn into 32 point build..
    Sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by learst View Post
    I'd like to point out that this is subjective - I don't think it is easy to unlock reach 1750 favour for a new player. I only managed to reach 1750 favour around lvl 18, and that's after I went VIP and has access to adventure packs (f2p content starts becoming more scarce around lvl 13-ish, though there have been some new content recently).

Again, it depends if you're the kind that don't mind the grind. Running quests on elite for max favour per quest isn't the easiest thing for a new player without an optimized build, twink gear or advanced quest knowledge.

Currently the best deal for new players is the pre-purchase pack, it gives you access to a lot of adventure packs, TP and bonuses. Now there is also the additional 11k TP for $59.99 that can be purchased with the deal. Which will ensure you've got more than you need for any future sales.
    Leader - Ωmega Syndicate [L41] guild of Khyber|Orien - www.os.rumbaar.net
    Khyber - Eldraine - Monk | Eldaline - Favored Soul | Eldnuker - Sorcerer
    █████ - Eldalorne - Wizard | Elarawr - Fighter | Eldrainge - Ranger/Rogue

The Hatchery

New player Update:

<SNIP>
    MacR
    To me it is...then again, I run Pale Masters, no such thing as incapacitated. -1 to -9 HP means dead. Then again, wasn't I already dead in the first place?

Community Member Avenging_Angel's Avatar

Which brings me to my question - I want to buy some TP's and buy the 32 build and shared banking but i don't want to pay full price - I bought the triple point sale a few weeks ago and promptly spent them all - I was wondering if there is anyway to know in advanced if there is going to be any point sales coming up
    Premium here. Buy the shared bank, at least the base 20 slots: most of the adventure packs are going to give you bound to account loot and you want to share it between your toons, it's incredibly useful.
    Since you ask this I imagine you are on a budget and don't want to throw away your TPs; don't buy 32-point builds, because: 1) your paladin can't benefit from it now, 2) you can unlock it for free for 1750 favor, which is a goal itself in game and will give you time to learn more about the game, 3) that +2 to a stat won't make or break your character: it surely helps for minmaxing, but for your first couple firstlife toons you will be perfectly fine.
    Buy more adventure packs, experiment, keep playing and boom, you have unlocked 32pts.

As for sales: they usually come, sooner or later. If you plan on buying stuff with TPs, waiting a month or two can save you quite some money.

Quote Originally Posted by learst View Post

It is indeed subjective seeing that I had no trouble at all hitting it on my first 20, and that was before BB. Nowadays even on a first life toon I usually end up at around 2k favor mark upon hitting the cap. Obviously it's going to be harder for someone that doesn't have most of the adventure packs, but then again, it's a far better investment to buy a couple of adventure packs for the price of 32 point builds. As Avenging_Angel said, 4 additional stat points aren't necessary to make a good character, while having access to 2-3 new adventures packs will give you a) more tp via favor b) more content to run and c) more and better equipment for this and future toons.
    Silvercypher - Ahril - Silverslash
    Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Shindurza View Post
    To me it is...then again, I run Pale Masters, no such thing as incapacitated. -1 to -9 HP means dead. Then again, wasn't I already dead in the first place?
    Why does it mean dead? You can be harmed

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbaar View Post
    Currently the best deal for new players is the pre-purchase pack, it gives you access to a lot of adventure packs, TP and bonuses. Now there is also the additional 11k TP for $59.99 that can be purchased with the deal. Which will ensure you've got more than you need for any future sales.
    That's still quite an investment for a newer player especially for just a portion of the game.

Imo, if you're really point conscientious, grab the packs you can afford now, grind your 'guinea pig' character through it for the 1750 unlock. Content>everything else. Content=the ability to unlock just about everything you'd want in the game. Also as a side effect of doing it this way, you're able to cycle through the content you already have while seeing what goes on sale in the following weeks.
    Snakpak-Anslet-Gretto-Ardrhys
    Dnb-Neurotech-Caniponu

And basically you just said the same thing we said. Level 17-20 to hit the 1750 favor..I do agree the 4 points for a newer player is no big deal. I made 18 levels before I recarned..But the extra HP and SP I picked with those 4 points are Nice now at 18..
    Sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by Puppetian View Post
    It is indeed subjective seeing that I had no trouble at all hitting it on my first 20, and that was before BB. Nowadays even on a first life toon I usually end up at around 2k favor mark upon hitting the cap. Obviously it's going to be harder for someone that doesn't have most of the adventure packs, but then again, it's a far better investment to buy a couple of adventure packs for the price of 32 point builds. As Avenging_Angel said, 4 additional stat points aren't necessary to make a good character, while having access to 2-3 new adventures packs will give you a) more tp via favor b) more content to run and c) more and better equipment for this and future toons.

You might consider rolling up a tempest trapmonkey as a second character to complement your main character. If your pally is thf this would also give you added game experience, having a thf and a twf to get a feel for how both work.

The tempest trapmonkey has similar self-healing / survivability as a pally, plus full rogue skills and decent range ability. My first two characters were a thf evasion paladin and a tempest trapmonkey, and I love them both still.