Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

The main reason I do not think Warforged Monks are powerful is...they can't wear the Epic Frozen Tunic.

But why is this so important you ask? It's fairly simple actually: that tunic gives you +1 Ki on hit. Yes, there are two other items that give +1 Ki on hit as well, but both of those are necklaces, which means you cannot wear the Shintao set. And losing either the +2/+2 from Shintao or the +1 Ki/hit is very painful to Monk DPS.

Some people just say to use Fire stance to solve the Ki issue. However Fire stance is the worst possible stance past the early levels. You don't have the massive DPS that Wind stance gives you, the survivability that Earth stance gives you, or the better DCs that Water stance gives you. By trying to overcome the racial disability (not being able to wear the right robe), you end up losing even more DPS, just from your choice of race.

The healing amp issue is also important. Yes, you can wear Jidz-Tet'Ka and use Fire stance (and also spend 14 AP on healing amp) just to get slightly over what another race starts with base (.65 * 1.3 * 1.25 = 1.05625), but that again comes with another DPS loss, from not wearing the non-epic Claw set while leveling (+2 damage, takes up gloves + bracers), or the Epic Claw set while at cap (+4 damage and +30% healing amp).

Plus, the -2 WIS gives -1 DC to many Monk abilities. Yes, you can spend 2 AP to get Stunning Fist back up to normal, but that doesn't apply to Quivering Palm or Touch of Death.

Warforged won't make a completely worthless Monk. The problem is that it just doesn't mesh well with the class at the current time, and there are much stronger options to choose from (helf or human, even horc).

The main thing I like about Warforged Monks is the ability for the Ninja-spy version to get +15 to Unbalancing Strike at level 20. (Epic Blademark Docent) Perma +3d6 SA damage dice while something is actively aggroed on me? Yes plz.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AylinIsAwesome View Post

Warforged won't make a completely worthless Monk. The problem is that it just doesn't mesh well with the class at the current time, and there are much stronger options to choose from (helf or human, even horc).
    I might argue that having a WF monk is gimping yourself LESS than if you are a WF ranger/paladin/fighter/barb as monks get the HA enhancments that somewhat make up for the rather crippling healing amp penalty.

Plus dark monk shadow fade, earth stance and imp evasion means that you are avoiding a lot of damage so in mass healing situations you aren't gonna be the one that the healers casts first for every time-unlike the other melee classes that probably have a lot less damage mitigation.

WF melees in general just need some love...the 25% base fort being useful now is nice, but that healing amp penalty is just crippling for most classes that don't have reconstruct or heal spell.

Quote Originally Posted by MRMechMan View Post
    I might argue that having a WF monk is gimping yourself LESS than if you are a WF ranger/paladin/fighter/barb as monks get the HA enhancments that somewhat make up for the rather crippling healing amp penalty.

Plus dark monk shadow fade, earth stance and imp evasion means that you are avoiding a lot of damage so in mass healing situations you aren't gonna be the one that the healers casts first for every time-unlike the other melee classes that probably have a lot less damage mitigation.

WF melees in general just need some love...the 25% base fort being useful now is nice, but that healing amp penalty is just crippling for most classes that don't have reconstruct or heal spell.
    I'd pretty much say that all WF melee right now are in pretty sorry shape. I'd only say that WF only works for artificer, sorc, FvS, wizard, and maybe cleric right now.
    Last edited by AylinIsAwesome; 04-18-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Default any race any class

Any race/class build can be good. Everything depends on the player. Ive seen what looks to be really silly builds do awesome things. The problem is when you see these crazy builds and you have never grouped with the person before you know they are going to be either REALLY awesome or realy bad. This is a game and I like to take people to find out .
    massivheals / massivsponge - Orien server
    Member of Blood bath and Beyond
    Guild webpage-
    http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.asp...&TabID=3674790

Quote Originally Posted by quarterling View Post
    um... What about halfling? They make the best melee classes.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Masadique View Post
    I know I am in minority, but my monk does nothing but tank. WF monks, outside of VoD with two people reconning you, are worthless as a tank. If you are building for DPS, it doesn't matter what race you are to anyone but yourself. You know who sees your damage numbers? You.

If you want to min max, go Helf/Horc for DPS. If you want to have fun, go with your favorite class. I'm going dwarf next life because I want to stun everything in the world.

Just do it.
    you need to make your w/f monk a better tank, a w/f monk can build for ac, incorperability, or even hp and healing amp.

It's very possible to make one a decent tank for most raids

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    you need to make your w/f monk a better tank, a w/f monk can build for ac, incorperability, or even hp and healing amp.

A Human or Helf can build for the same things...they will just do it better.

I like WF...they are my favorite race.

Something as simple as making Healer's Friend a 1/1/1 (vs the 2/4/6) Enhancement point cost could go a long way into fixing them.

Realistically...with enough skill and gear and time and past lives...ANY Race and Class combo can work. That is the beauty of DDO.
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    Something as simple as making Healer's Friend a 1/1/1 (vs the 2/4/6) Enhancement point cost could go a long way into fixing them.
    1/1/1, 2/2/2, or 1/2/3 would be so much better than it currently is.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post

Why would I build for amp on a WF? I dislike AC build a lot, I mean more than anyone I've met, and incorporeality is built into Ninja Spy. As for HP, yeah, you get +2 con and some racial toughness on my human. So? A pure monk won't have the HP to tank anything of import at end game, without full epic gear and most likely completionist, so I won't sweat the small stuff.

+2 con and some immunities, all of which are from spells as far as I know and will be on me during a raid, vs healing amp - can currently get up to 399% on my human. I will gladly take scrolls for 540 - I don't run around in 399% because using fire stance and the bracers means no earth stance or Fab bracers (one scroll from claw).

I bet it is possible to make a decent tank for most raids out of a WF. I really prefer to make tanks who are easy on healers, and will be able to tank anything I need them for.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123