Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Are you that dependant on ship buffs? Cause I'm not. Only use em for quests that are very challenging, or on raids. Otherwise, I don't even bother. Except the xp shrine.
    Last edited by Zyerz; 04-15-2012 at 08:14 PM.

"Hikari datte, yami datte, kitto"

Into light, into darkness, surely.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vissarion View Post
    Exactly my point. The object is therefore to minimize how many different outlets people have for inconveniencing or annoying others. We already have enough loot drama, guild drama, zerg versus slow play drama, etc, etc. Do we really need a poorly-designed system creating yet another way for people to frustrate others?

The options that would remove this frustration (or at least mitigate it substantially) would be:

A) Make the buffs persist until death or logout, or even a smaller scale change like pausing them in public instances.

B) Eliminate ship buffs entirely.

Either option would be preferable to me compared to the status quo.
    I'd be happy with either A or B. Game mechanics that add power to characters at the cost of annoyance are not good game mechanics as far as I'm concerned.

Community Member

No countdown while in town would be fantastic. I would actually love to see the timers go away as well, OP, but as you've witnessed here in the forums you'll see a lot of opposition of people who love to run back and forth to the guild ship to break up the monotony of quests. The issue is if you ever have a drastic suggestion like this there is always a group of people who will absolutely hate it, so sometimes you have to try to find some common ground instead. There may even be people who hate the no countdown in town idea, but at least it has some precedence.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyerz View Post
    Are you that dependant on ship buffs?
    sadly, it's hard to join any group without at least one member asking for ship invite for buffs nowadays =\
    altho it's quite interesting to see the difference in performance in a player with and without the ship buffs (after their demise)
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

B) Eliminate ship buffs entirely.
    That's my vote.

Ship buffs have become a crutch. Had a Shroud group with 4(!) divines doing Normal, and the 12th guy to show up was pitching a fit about needing his ship buffs before he would even step inside.

I'm lucky my eyes didn't fall to the floor I rolled them so hard.

I also don't like the power creep they give, where everyone is expected to have 20 more HP, 29 more SP, hit for 1 point harder, have 1 more (at least) point of DC...then the devs have to build the enemies for that, and the mudflation cycle spins up all the higher.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Ship buffs are meant to make us feal like a completionist.

Yet I agree they are stupid and if you need them then you need to re-roll your character.

In the new Xpan if you need them then you need your hand held too much and should re- consider your build.

It is easy to mess up our builds in this game, that is why only the few are able to have the aptitude to succeed.
    Last edited by Zorth; 04-15-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Vissarion View Post
    I often see this argument in response to requests for changes to ship buffs.

The thing is, this objection misses the point. If you decide to forego ship buffs, how is that actually going to remove the time sink outside of soloing? It's not like everyone else will suddenly stop as well, so you'll still have those obnoxious people who hold up the entire group by waiting to buff until the party is ready to go.
    I am starting to collect my ship buffs before I hit lfms. Sure I miss a few groups here and there but no one has to wait on me to buff that way. Could start putting that in lfms. Buff before hitting my lfm. It would be one of the least insulting things you would usually see in an lfm and would save time and keep the can I have a ship invite requests down to nil.

I don't care much for ship buffs either and can roll with or without them no problem.

I could see pausing timers in public areas...or even allowing guild members to have permanent ship-buffs until death (or even a "get all ship buffs" button on the airship for guildies), but in all honesty, it doesn't really matter. Ship buffs are a convenience item only to good players, and a crutch to bad players...but I don't think they should be removed...not after being something people have worked towards for two years now (though I may be biased, with my guild's delicious 5% xp shrine... :P). Seriously, though, ship buffs simply lasting until death would make some content easier....such as farming gianthold (and having to run back to get my resists + xp shrine...I really wish I could buy 30 resist pots, but I can't) or doing eLoB or scroll farming or the like...however, it really doesn't matter. Good players will continue to be good when their ship buffs wear off, bad players will start being worse when their crutch wears off.

That said, my favorite idea is to either add a "get all ship buffs" button for guildies only or the permanent-until-death for guildies...the Stormglory Typhoon is nice and all, but man that ship is too big and unorganized for getting ship buffs...with very few options for organization.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Quote Originally Posted by WruntJunior View Post
    I could see pausing timers in public areas...or even allowing guild members to have permanent ship-buffs until death (or even a "get all ship buffs" button on the airship for guildies), but in all honesty, it doesn't really matter. Ship buffs are a convenience item only to good players, and a crutch to bad players...but I don't think they should be removed...not after being something people have worked towards for two years now (though I may be biased, with my guild's delicious 5% xp shrine... :P). Seriously, though, ship buffs simply lasting until death would make some content easier....such as farming gianthold (and having to run back to get my resists + xp shrine...I really wish I could buy 30 resist pots, but I can't) or doing eLoB or scroll farming or the like...however, it really doesn't matter. Good players will continue to be good when their ship buffs wear off, bad players will start being worse when their crutch wears off.

That said, my favorite idea is to either add a "get all ship buffs" button for guildies only or the permanent-until-death for guildies...the Stormglory Typhoon is nice and all, but man that ship is too big and unorganized for getting ship buffs...with very few options for organization.
    would be nice if they attach some sort of cost to use them to kind of tone down on its use for low levels
    maybe 50~500 renown cost per buff (depending on the buff) , taken from the character's earned renown. buff won't work if the player has insufficient renown for the buff and the renown is subtracted from the character's earned renown.
    although for this to happen, we need to get rid of renown decay first... =\

PS: timer should be paused outside of dungeon, that i agree
    but permanent until death is a no-no~ =\
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

This thread was along the same lines (pause, get rid of, etc)
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=369281

There are two major obstacles to overcome as ship buffs are fine tuned to our liking.

The first is duration of the ship buffs for the members of the guild they belong to.

The second is the number of non-guildies spamming for invites.

I'd suggest the already mentioned change to the timer (only runs in an instance) but specifically for members of the guild. Therefore, non guildies wouldn't have anymore of an incentive to spam guilds for better quality buffs than they do now.

I'd also like to suggest a duration bonus that can be purchased with a guild level higher than 85, to incentivise pursuit of higher levels beyond the final ship.
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Quote Originally Posted by Quarterling View Post
    Naw, just pausing while in a public instance is good enough.
    Agreed. I think ship buffs should be on a timer. But it would make sense if they paused in a public instance just like hireling contracts do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorth View Post
    Ship buffs are meant to make us feal like a completionist.

Yet I agree they are stupid and if you need them then you need to re-roll your character.

In the new Xpan if you need them then you need your hand held too much and should re- consider your build.

It is easy to mess up our builds in this game, that is why only the few are able to have the aptitude to succeed.
    DDO is not balanced so that only the best optimized builds with the best buffs succeed, which makes the first three lines of your post true, and the last line false.

The "aptitude to succeed" you refer to is metagaming, not character building.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    DDO is not balanced so that only the best optimized builds with the best buffs succeed, which makes the first three lines of your post true, and the last line false.

The "aptitude to succeed" you refer to is metagaming, not character building.
    I think that depends on what someone means by "succeed". 95% of characters can complete 90% of the content in DDO without significant risk of failure, so I do agree with you in principle, but if someone means completing the very hardest of epic raids and quests without significant resource consumption, then most characters aren't ever going to see that happen. I'd say that most characters on every server are never even going to step into an eLoB, much less complete one.

That said, at the higher difficulty levels, ship buffs are just a convenience and do not significantly add to a character's power unless they are very close to a significant break point in either To Hit or AC.

I hate going to the ship for buffs so yeah I'm down with this. Also you can point and laugh at people when you see them getting ship buffs cause you will know they just died. I'll type reroll in guild chat all the time.
    Ghallanda
    Volver life 3 lvl 18 sorc /// Adept life 3 lvl 2mnk/16pal /// Vindicate life 5 lvl 11rgr/6mnk/3pal - 5 Epic /// Eternal life 2 lvl 10 rgr

The only thing that interests me is making Ship buffs pause in public instances.

That way you can jump on the ship, grab your buffs and jump down to say Gianthold or Meridia and wait for the raid / group to fill. It would allow for more social interaction between players.

Right now basically you wait on your ship (or anothers) running laps around the buffs to keep them topped up waiting for the group to fill.

The buffs themselves are free so I don't see a need to adjust the timers at all that way. I know even if they lasted to death many guilds would still have people on their ship as it's the most convenient place to sell / repair / bank / ect as it's often easier to get to the ship than it is a crafting hall, plus for those of us without teleport it's also the fastest way to jump to many areas.

Make them pause in public and I think they would be 100% fine.

Angry

Yeah, get rid of the timers on the ship buffs.

And hey, get rid of the haste timers, since I will just cast it right away again. And the displacement timer. And my divine favor timer, and prayer, and bless, and blur, and bard songs, and stoneskin, and zeal. Why have any timers at all since I'm just going to reapply the buff immediately. Just make me all powerful all the time please, because rebuffing is a pain. Oh, unless you die of course. Then it is ok to rebuff everything.

edit: I better say that I am being sarcastic since I don't trust people not failing the sarcasm check.

I feel that ship amenities should include

bankers,
    teleporters,
    arcane and divine vendors,
    binding point,
    auctioneer,
    crafting altars,
    mailboxes,
    equipment vendors,
    personal trainers (for leveling ONLY).

There should not be any shrines for stats.

Only convenience downtime stuff.

IMHO
    Bring in... GNOMES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by salmag View Post
    I feel that ship amenities should include

bankers,
    teleporters,
    arcane and divine vendors,
    binding point,
    auctioneer,
    crafting altars,
    mailboxes,
    equipment vendors,
    personal trainers (for leveling ONLY).

There should not be any shrines for stats.

Only convenience downtime stuff.

IMHO
    agree. No elemental resists. No stat buffs. These additions have made lower levels much much easier than they ever were.

Would sure like to see Cannith crafting and spirit binding.

Quote Originally Posted by psteen1 View Post
    Yeah, get rid of the timers on the ship buffs.

And hey, get rid of the haste timers, since I will just cast it right away again. And the displacement timer. And my divine favor timer, and prayer, and bless, and blur, and bard songs, and stoneskin, and zeal. Why have any timers at all since I'm just going to reapply the buff immediately. Just make me all powerful all the time please, because rebuffing is a pain. Oh, unless you die of course. Then it is ok to rebuff everything.

edit: I better say that I am being sarcastic since I don't trust people not failing the sarcasm check.
    In several games there are classes that have a set of buffs that do not drop even on death. some of those buffs do not drop even upon dying. The world has not ended yet. Even DDO has some, namely Paladin Aura's.

Short term buffs are not a fun factor, simply another thing to click. Lots of things to click in a game to play your class properly take it closer to a classic MMO and farther away from being action based MMO.

I sort of prefer DDO to play as more action based. Thought that was sort of its intention. Well that and friends don't let friends solo.
    Occasionally playing on Cannith

Llyren, Kelda and some others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast