Default Rise of the Underdark

Just came across think link HERE and I was wondering if Turbine and Wizards of the Coast had worked together on any previous updates in DDO as it would appear they are doing with this one?
    All of us get lost in the darkness.
    Dreamers learn to steer by the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Windex69 View Post
    Just came across think link HERE and I was wondering if Turbine and Wizards of the Coast had worked together on any previous updates in DDO as it would appear they are doing with this one?
    Turbine has stated many times in the past that they worked with WotC, through Atari, to approve content.

Before the Turbine vs. Atari lawsuit it seems Atari stopped subitting new content in an attempt to get more money out of Turbine. Hence we had about 18 months with no new content and little assurance the game would survive.

Now that Atari is no longer acting as an anti-diarrheal between Turbine and WotC I would assume thay are working more closely than ever before, since DDO seems to be the official MMO face for D&D now (show me another MMO with D&D in the name).
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Turbine has stated many times in the past that they worked with WotC, through Atari, to approve content.

Before the Turbine vs. Atari lawsuit it seems Atari stopped subitting new content in an attempt to get more money out of Turbine. Hence we had about 18 months with no new content and little assurance the game would survive.

Now that Atari is no longer acting as an anti-diarrheal between Turbine and WotC I would assume thay are working more closely than ever before, since DDO seems to be the official MMO face for D&D now (show me another MMO with D&D in the name).
    Nice synopsis. I am really looking forward to more tabletop games mimicking this MMO. All it could do is bring more players here. And more noobs, nubs, newbs, however you want to spell it,is always a good thing.

Cheers!

There is also the upcoming (expected 2012 launch) Neverwinter.
    http://www.playneverwinter.com/

"Rise of the Underdark" is pretty much an unprecedented year long gaming blitz being put on by WotC. With a singular over arching story line and many smaller and detailed subplots this blitz includes RPG Modules, Game Accessories, RPG Events, Books, E-Books, an expansion to "Heroes of Neverwinter" as well as the expansion in DDO. The end of the blitz will roughly coincide with the release of D&D v5 RPG.
    The only thing that comes close is the introduction of “Dragonlance” and Krynn storyline back in the 80’s, well before computer games, E-Books and MMOs.

A quick comment on "D&D: Neverwinter", the upcoming MMO by Cryptic set in the Forgotten Realms.
    I found it interesting the "Heroes of Neverwinter" the Browser based Facebook game created by Atari is included in the "Rise of the Underdark" blitz but "D&D: Neverwinter" is not. It is even more interesting that WotC still referes to "D&D Neverwinter" as "An online co-op roleplaying game inspired by R.A. Salvatore's Neverwinter Saga book trilogy" here.
    Last edited by GoldyGopher; 04-16-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Typo

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Quote Originally Posted by serow081 View Post
    Its not an MMO until it is live on a server. I'm still waiting for a non-beta version of Ragnarok Online 2. Its been scrapped a few times.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

They say 2012, but the truth is it is not gonna be out until the END of 2012, they expect it in the Q4, and if I remember correctly, the beta is gonna be out about september, so I would expect it in nov-dec.

But for those that doesn't know, the game looks great, I tried it at PAX East and I can't wait to try it when it finally reach the store!

What to expect in it are a great deal of undead since the story is heavily based on the 3 last novel of RA Salvatore (Gaultgrym, Neverwinter AND Charon's Claw).

Can't wait to try it, it will be a F2P MMO, but with the addition of player content that can be added.

Xalekk - 18pal/2rog Xalek - 18barb/2rog
    Xalekia - 18Rng/1Mnk/1Rog Alekian - 12wiz/6mnk/2ftr
    Cynvan - 18Clr/2Mnk Aleathiel - 20 sorc

Quote Originally Posted by serow081 View Post
    Notice that the Title is "Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter".

This is important because DDO was originally "Dungeons & Dragons Stormreach", then "Dungeons & Dragons Eberron Unlimited".

Recently DDO was renamed as "Dungeons & Dragons Online", coinciding with WotC/Hasbro reclaiming electronic licensing from Atari. Indications are that for the time being Turbine will be able to develop content as they please with WotC's blessings as long as it doesn't break cannon.

I doubt Atari has that freedom anymore.
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdinn View Post
    They say 2012, but the truth is it is not gonna be out until the END of 2012, they expect it in the Q4, and if I remember correctly, the beta is gonna be out about september, so I would expect it in nov-dec.

But for those that doesn't know, the game looks great, I tried it at PAX East and I can't wait to try it when it finally reach the store!

What to expect in it are a great deal of undead since the story is heavily based on the 3 last novel of RA Salvatore (Gaultgrym, Neverwinter AND Charon's Claw).

Can't wait to try it, it will be a F2P MMO, but with the addition of player content that can be added.
    I also tried the game at PAX and talked with some of the Cryptic Staff and well I walked away more than a bit disappointed. The little bits of the game we were allowed to see were indeed visually stunning as were some of the screen shots, but it is like visiting some tourist destination seeing one block of the locale and being asked to talk about the entire city. I didn't see enough to say the entire world is stunning.

The game is an MMO the same way the Star Trek Online is an MMO, in name only! At least that was my opinion as I walked away from the booth. It may have some persensent world settings and functionality (auctions and mail) but the game is still essentially a Co-Op RPG. There is little question in my mind that Cryptic is trying to be your DM for your classic PnP groups. Not that I think that is a bad thing, but this isn’t an MMO.

When I started asking questions I received the pat answers, “we cannot talk about that yet” and “TBD”.

As I later thought about it the real problem for Neverwinter is it will be directly competing with Guild Wars II for eyeballs, Cryptic is not going to will that battle, GWII is too high on the hype meter at the moment. That fact alone lets me think PWE will let this slide into late Q1 of 2013, making some claim about Neverwinter not being ready.

Notice that the Title is "Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter".

This is important because DDO was originally "Dungeons & Dragons Stormreach", then "Dungeons & Dragons Eberron Unlimited".

Recently DDO was renamed as "Dungeons & Dragons Online", coinciding with WotC/Hasbro reclaiming electronic licensing from Atari. Indications are that for the time being Turbine will be able to develop content as they please with WotC's blessings as long as it doesn't break cannon.

I doubt Atari has that freedom anymore.
    Cryptic Studios is a wholy owned subsidary of Perfect World Entertainement group, Atari no longer has anything to do with them or the License they were operating under. Cryptic Studios was sold to PWE and Atari lost the overall License for the IP. The Devs for Cryptic have said spewed far more loathing of Atari then any dev here has.
    Atari does still work on "Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes of Neverwinter" a browser based RPG playable in facebook. Which has recently released its latest Expansion as a part of "Rise fo the Underdark".

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Windex69 View Post
    Interesting link.
    ( I'm not going into the discussion about IP and stuff... it's not the subject of the thread )

Looks like there's a real cooperation and a cooperative timing in the PnP and digital releases.
    From the look of the teaser it seems that something is brewing in the Woods of Cormanthor. ( hint hint )

I haven't set foot in my favorite PnP shop for the last 3 weeks, I'm really due for a visit there...
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldyGopher View Post
    *snip*

It is even more interesting that WotC still referes to "D&D Neverwinter" as "An online co-op roleplaying game inspired by R.A. Salvatore's Neverwinter Saga book trilogy" here.
    They probably just haven't updated the wording as that is what it was suppose to be BEFORE PWE bought cryptic and decided to make it a full MMO with 60 level on launch. This is why it has been delayed. It was at PAX and received very nice comments even though i don't think it'll be my cup of tea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Interesting link.
    ( I'm not going into the discussion about IP and stuff... it's not the subject of the thread )

Looks like there's a real cooperation and a cooperative timing in the PnP and digital releases.
    From the look of the teaser it seems that something is brewing in the Woods of Cormanthor. ( hint hint )

I haven't set foot in my favorite PnP shop for the last 3 weeks, I'm really due for a visit there...

Yeah, it has to be a good thing to have these two entities working closer together now rather than before the above said connections were severed. I will keep an eye on future updates/releases

Definitely hit your local pnp shop and tell us what good news you've learned!