Founder

Default do bard henchies heal

even if a heal spell is not listed in their available commands??

I usually grab a cleric or FvS henchie for my melee characters but saw where someone suggested getting a bard for haste, blur, and some of their songs. sounded like a good idea but most of the bards don't specifically list a healing spell in their list of available commands. I know that not all of their spells and abilities are listed, so wanted to see if anyone had used bards that did not list any healing spells.

do they still heal? if so, is it a level appropriate spell? a lvl 16 bard throwing out cure light won't be that much help.

Community Member

Yeah, they usually throw a cure or two around. At the start of the quest, be sure to turn them "active". They'll often play songs that aren't listed on their hotbar.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

keep in mind that bards don't get the heal spell so unless hirelings use scrolls (doubt it) the best you can expect is a cure critical.

In the lower levels bards are usually a far better choice of hireling than a cleric or favored soul in my opinion.

Community Member

The ones I've used at lower lvls are reasonably good healers, and they also give good arcane buffs, and the songs of course.
    Bards are still bugged thou. When they are summoned, the first thing they do, is singing Inspire Courage, which is not working.

And if you want the song again, you have either wait for the duration of the song (if the hire doesn't have it in the hotbar commands) or set the hire on passive for a while, and then active again. Then it sings the song again.

Only downside is, that they don't remove any disease or curses or cast restoration spells and remove other debuffs.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    In the lower levels bards are usually a far better choice of hireling than a cleric or favored soul in my opinion.
    I would agree completely with this.

It seems like all of the spell-casting hirelings have spells and abilities beyond the ones we see on their hotbars. I would love to see someone test what these hidden capabilities are.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMond63 View Post
    I would agree completely with this.

It seems like all of the spell-casting hirelings have spells and abilities beyond the ones we see on their hotbars. I would love to see someone test what these hidden capabilities are.
    Well the cleric hirelings I've run with can cast neutralise poison automatically if you get poisoned - and provides temporary immunity to poison.