Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sith Master

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    The reasons why you would take spell penetration over spell focus are already listed. Go ahead and be a one dimensional nuke character, but as wax explained, you'll be limited.

As I've stated many times, the nature of the game is that nothing is strictly superior or inferior to any other option. So of course it's a tradeoff. Don't counter the arguments by giving a situation where higher DC would be better than higher spell penetration. Rise above the discussion and look at the situation holistically.
    Seems like he was to me.

Personally I can cast 1234, shift+1234, qe, shift+qe. Thats 12 spells. If I ever have to hit T and manually do stuff, it takes me forever, because the cursor blends in too well with the game. This is fine for buffing and metamagics and clickes because I can take all the time prebattle to do it.

So all those debuffs would never take up main slots for me which means I'd be standing still searching my bars for the right spell to click, hoping the spell actually casts (servers are POS) and then hunting for the next one hoping my target hasn't moved and the spell fails to cast because I wasn't facing it.

OR I can nuke things with my camera locked to the mouse and never miss apart from random rolls and stuff (which is dumb when a fireball explodes in a baddy's face and does nothing but I guess its for D&D flavor)

Do not neglect the mechanical aspect of your spell choices either.
    Orien
    Spills (Completionist in Training), Pother (Gimpy Monk), Concert (Gimpy Bard)

Quote Originally Posted by Crysto View Post
    Seems like he was to me.

Personally I can cast 1234, shift+1234, qe, shift+qe. Thats 12 spells. If I ever have to hit T and manually do stuff, it takes me forever, because the cursor blends in too well with the game. This is fine for buffing and metamagics and clickes because I can take all the time prebattle to do it.

So all those debuffs would never take up main slots for me which means I'd be standing still searching my bars for the right spell to click, hoping the spell actually casts (servers are POS) and then hunting for the next one hoping my target hasn't moved and the spell fails to cast because I wasn't facing it.

OR I can nuke things with my camera locked to the mouse and never miss apart from random rolls and stuff (which is dumb when a fireball explodes in a baddy's face and does nothing but I guess its for D&D flavor)

Do not neglect the mechanical aspect of your spell choices either.
    I must say, you must have incredibly small hands if you're not able to hit 5 with your index finger. My hands are pretty small relatively, but I can still hit 5 easily. 6 is a bit of a stretch for me. Other people I've asked can hit 6 or 7 without any problem.

All that is besides the point, really. You don't need 10 different debuffs for every situation. Most of the time, one or two debuffs will be enough to meet the situation. I'm sure you can fit one or two spells somewhere.

By the way, I realize "debuffs" sounds kind of weak and un-sorc-ish, but in many cases the result is far more DPS than you can do otherwise. As a direct example, energy drain on orange name is often higher DPS than a fully maxed out polar ray.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    By the way, I realize "debuffs" sounds kind of weak and un-sorc-ish, but in many cases the result is far more DPS than you can do otherwise. As a direct example, energy drain on orange name is often higher DPS than a fully maxed out polar ray.
    I'm actually good with debuffs as it really suits the Sith Master theme...breaking down your enemy is sometimes just as effective if not more than whipping out some Force Lightning...main issue with that Sorcs REALLY don't have the feats to keep up the DCs the only way to fit them all in is with /2Monk.

I reallt wish there was more "Force-like abilities" despite this not actually being star wars lol....so far I'd say Any fear effects, any debuffs, Jump (Force Jump), See Invis , Otto's Line (Force Persuasion Ie. These are not the droids you are looking for BUT you would really like to dance right now) Gust of wind/Cyclonic blast (Force push), Blur/Displacement, Invisibility, False Life (Darth Vader ), Rage (Noooooo!!!!), The "Hold" Line (Force Choke?), Suggestion Line (Again Force Persuasion), Lightning spells (Force Lightning), Charm Lines (Force persuasion)

Actually correction I just wish we had more useful Lvl 8 & 9 spells and to a lesser extent 6 & 7

So here's what I have now

Half-Elf Sorc 20 (Air Savant)

Str 8
    Con 16
    Int 14
    Cha 18 (Lvl ups here)

HE Pally Dilly (+5 Saves & Free Divine Wand/Scroll Use FTW)
    1 Toughness
    3 Empower
    6 Maximize
    9 SF: Evo
    12 GSF: Evo
    15 Heighten
    18 Spell Pen

Skills: UMD, Concen, Diplo,Haggle
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 04-18-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    ...main issue with that Sorcs REALLY don't have the feats to keep up the DCs the only way to fit them all in is with /2Monk.
    A DC-intensive sorc can also be created if you have really good gear and a few past lives. This allows you to drop 2 of the "required" feats -- toughness and spell penetration, and replace them with focus feats.

HE Pally Dilly (+5 Saves & Free Divine Wand/Scroll Use FTW)
    1 Toughness
    3 Empower
    6 Maximize
    9 Spell Pen
    12 SF: Evo
    15 Heighten
    18 GSF: Evo

Skills: UMD, Concen, Diplo,Haggle
    There's no sense taking spell penetration that early. You might want to get started on SF by level 9, then take heighten and spell pen on levels 15 and 18, respectively.

I'm not familiar with your theme, but if you can replace Diplo with Balance, then your skill points will have a better use.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isharah View Post
    A DC-intensive sorc can also be created if you have really good gear and a few past lives. This allows you to drop 2 of the "required" feats -- toughness and spell penetration, and replace them with focus feats.
    So since this is a first lifer its not possible

There's no sense taking spell penetration that early. You might want to get started on SF by level 9, then take heighten and spell pen on levels 15 and 18, respectively.
    Makes sense

I'm not familiar with your theme, but if you can replace Diplo with Balance, then your skill points will have a better use.
    While Diplo is taken as part of the theme and the Int required for the skill points is as well I didn't not take balance because of it. I didn't take it because Air Savants are immune to knockdown making balance fairly useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

I didn't take it because Air Savants are immune to knockdown making balance fairly useless once you reach level 18
    Fixed it for you.

Also, note that it's "most knockdown effects", not "all knockdown effects". Just pointing it out. It's not like you can drop Diplo on the build anyway.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Isharah; 04-19-2012 at 04:10 AM.
    Isharah(water savant) | Moooo I'm a Turtle(turtle tank) | Darlene(typical healer wannabe)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12