Default Am I missing something?

So I just came back after an extended break and decided to checked out this new crafting thing they came up with. I have gotten up to about level 50 in all three so far. Now, I just TRd my monk and thought it would be a good idea to start crafting him some shiny new handwraps.

I was disappointed to see that they were all 1 level above random loot, but I could live with that. However, I just crafted some +2 Shock Handwraps of Pure Good. Randomly generated, these would be level 6. Crafted, they are level 9. Really?

Is this a bug, WAI, or did I mess something up? If crafting only is effective for level 20, I just dont see the point in spending the money and time to bother leveling up anymore.

You can get 50 favor with House Cannith to buy Marks of Cannith that will lower the ML on crafted items by 2.

It is WAI as far as we know.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post
    You can get 50 favor with House Cannith to buy Marks of Cannith that will lower the ML on crafted items by 2.

It is WAI as far as we know.
    But even if I lower it by 2, those are still 1 level above random. So youre saying that I have to get 50 favor, buy something, and still have to wait an extra level to use my handwraps?

Well, one could argue that being able to craft them at any time is more of a benefit than having to level up in crafting is of a drawback.

Quote Originally Posted by SardaofChaos View Post
    Well, one could argue that being able to craft them at any time is more of a benefit than having to level up in crafting is of a drawback.
    And I get that, its just that I really think that 3 levels over random loot is a bit silly and I was just wondering if thats what I can expect going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by farfrumsober View Post
    And I get that, its just that I really think that 3 levels over random loot is a bit silly and I was just wondering if thats what I can expect going forward.
    Given that Cannith crafting nearly broke the economy in low-level twink items despite the ML increase, I think your assessment of the value of a jacked up ML is quite wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SardaofChaos View Post
    You could also argue that the grind of leveling up your crafting skills should be rewarded with lower ml items.

Quote Originally Posted by lugoman View Post
    You could also argue that the grind of leveling up your crafting skills should be rewarded with lower ml items.
    No. No you couldn't. Not very well, at least. Same minimum level? Probably. But only for the BTA stuff.

Is this a bug, WAI, or did I mess something up? If crafting only is effective for level 20, I just dont see the point in spending the money and time to bother leveling up anymore.
    There is plenty of twink gear that crafting makes possible that is far better than random loot. ML 9 +6 stat items. Heavy fort at ridiculous levels. Get your 50 cannith favor. Enhancement bonuses on weapons add too much to the minimum levels; instead make them +1 and make +4 attack bonus item or +4 sneak attack. Deconstruct items with guild augment slots for extra hit point, damage, whatever else.

I was disappointed to see that they were all 1 level above random loot, but I could live with that. However, I just crafted some +2 Shock Handwraps of Pure Good. Randomly generated, these would be level 6. Crafted, they are level 9. Really?
    Some recipes have a higher cost on crafted shards than random loot. Pure good is one of those: Random loot is a +1 value, but crafted it is +2.

Unless you need it to break DR (like a ghost touch of pure good), try to stay away from crafted pure good weapons. The raised potential cost make more effective use of holy.

On the other hand, you have a lot of recipes that go on ridiculous low levels for their strength. Superior Stability at level 3 (+6 AC and saves), Lifeshield armor of Stability at Level 5, Heavy Fortification ring at level 7, Feather Falling at level 1, +6 stat at level 9, +11 skill item at level 7 (great for roguish types), spell enhancement clickies at irrelevant levels...

Weapons are the ugly duck of cannith crafting. The real strength is on the other equipments. The only reason to craft weapons are for very specific tasks, like greater banes or cursespewer of destruction.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Crafted items have a higher ML than is intended. This is a known and longstanding bug.

I wouldn't really consider crafting any low level weapon. Between the jacked up ML, and that you can add Icy Burst to lootgen low level weapons, crafted just doesn't cut it.

But crafted weapons for high level are fairly awesome, if only because perfectly laid out high level items are -so- rare.

At low levels, crafting is still very good for accessories and shields/armor. Things like Lifeshield, Invulnerability, Superior Stability, and the +to hit mods are incredibly nice.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Actually, low-level crafted weapons can be quite nice. Just don't use an enhancement bonus, or maybe just a +1 to break magic dr. (Wraiths, vampires, etc...) All you need is a guild augment of accuracy and you're good to go.