Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
According to DnD lore (which I've googled and can't seem to find for the life of me, so this is all coming from memory, excuse any errors), Magic is DnD land is through words of power which effectively altar reality through their utterance. These words are so powerful that they burn themselves out of your memory as soon as they are spoken. Likewise, reading those words off a scroll causes them to evaporate from the scroll itself, as the magic in those words is "Expended". The words *themselves* act as magical batteries, containing the energy to empower spells to fulfill their given function. And when that energy is used, then the words, wherever they are stored, in writing or in memory, are used up as well.

So intelligence is irrelevant to how well someone would be able to learn a spell after repeated castings. Every morning, a wizard would need to re-memorize the incantations, since their is nothing left in their memory of previous castings to draw upon! Which i guess makes spellbooks sort of like mobile battery chargers, i suppose.

Also, don't ask me how someone can memorize the same thing twice, but only have one version of it burned from their memory when casting it. That has never made sense to me. "I liked that song so much, I memorized the lyrics. TWICE"
Yes, it is called Vancian Magic... which, btw, in 2nd edition an extra book appeared: Skills and Powers (I believe) that added optional spell point system (much like in DDO), 3rd Edition has an alternative for Spell Points as well. and 4th Edition just said screw it and threw Vance out the window...

Point is, What you refer to, was only the mandatory way for 1 1/2 editions... Spell Points were an option that was readily available (if not forced through having At-Will/Encounter/Daily spells in 4th) for 2 1/2 Editions... so, you tell me, which way seems more prevalent? Seems players like points more than Vancian.