Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 470
  1. #81
    Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10,125

    Default

    Epic levels = Huge
    Entry into Forgotten Realms = Super Huge as acceptance by WotC that DDO is important
    Green Dragons = Big
    Plant Monsters = Big
    Loth Raid = Huge
    Druids = Huge
    New Social Party System = Big
    New Wilderness = Big
    New Core City = Big ~ please add some new stuff from vendors there
    New Quests = Big

    Enhancement overhaul = Super Huge ~ take your time and do it right

    Tome of learning + bravery bonus = Super Huge ~ thanks

  2. #82
    Community Member BlackSteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyTheJourney View Post
    .........In related research findings, constraints have been repeatedly shown to be a spur for creative thinking..............
    +1

    agree completely, said pretty much the same thing way back in the other thread; but its nice to see some research to back up opinion.

    the dev's definitely have a fine line to walk between an enhancement free for all & a very rigid system.

    altho with the PrE unlocks, and with most abilities being reduced to 1 AP, I think in the end, most builds will end up looking the same regardless if theres a limit or not thanks to the investment abilities and a limited AP pool. (capstone in one PrE, with mid tier in a second, along with odds n ends in another + racial OR mid tier investment in 4 trees) having 6 or 9 low investment PrE unlocks just wont make much sense simply b/c alot of the classes have competing PrE roles versus complimentary ones.

    I think having constraints will introduce more interesting and involved build decisions than having open access. Plus I cant even imagine a UI for a free for all system thats user friendly. Much less an ungodly eye sore or headache inducing complicated mess. I've yet to see a suggested mockup that was both simple and intuitive. All the trees should either fit on a single screen or not surpass 3-5 tabs; any more is too complicated, and having tabs on tabs is even worse.
    Shadowsteel [TR train wreck]

  3. #83
    Community Member BlackSteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    Epic levels = Huge
    Entry into Forgotten Realms = Super Huge as acceptance by WotC that DDO is important
    Green Dragons = Big
    Plant Monsters = Big
    Loth Raid = Huge
    Druids = Huge
    New Social Party System = Big
    New Wilderness = Big
    New Core City = Big ~ please add some new stuff from vendors there
    New Quests = Big

    Enhancement overhaul = Super Huge ~ take you time and do it right

    Tome of learning + bravery bonus = Super Huge ~ thanks
    only comment on this one is that you're right; BUT as to relavance and impact to the game; the proposed enhancement overhaul is bigger than all the others combined. New class, new quests, new area, new level cap sure thats all nice. But changing character development and planning? That has the potential to make DDO a completely different game
    Shadowsteel [TR train wreck]

  4. #84
    The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada,Ontario, GTA
    Posts
    6,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSteel View Post
    I cant even imagine a UI for a free for all system thats user friendly.


    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSteel View Post
    All the trees should either fit on a single screen or not surpass 3-5 tabs; any more is too complicated, and having tabs on tabs is even worse.
    If that's too complicated for someone than their playing the wrong game and I sincerely doubt they could come close to comprehending PnP
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 04-15-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

  5. #85
    Community Member Aeolwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    On the outside, looking in
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    Those people are why most games are getting dumbed down now days, and it makes me sad that the best business plan is to not only cater to dumb people, but to encourage it. This has had me leave game after game after game. I want the complexity in a game.


    No offense was intended by this post, and I apologize if any was taken. I'm just not sure how else to say what I said.
    Pandering to the lowest common denominator is the general term, though I think the technical term these days is median effective player. With WOTC more involved now, I don't think we'll see an increase in complexity though. It is difficult to make the case for complexity these days since other games cater to the counter and are successful because of it.
    Aeolwind (5/12) - 18 Sorc/1 Art | Melisandria - 20 Fighter SD | Anlona - 20 cleric RS

  6. #86
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    18,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Hey all

    Thanks again for all the feedback and support.
    I'm glad to see the time being taken to do the job right from the outset, as opposed to rushing it out and trying to fix it post-release. Speaking personally, the philosophy of releasing something knowing full well it's not feature-complete and will need to be remedied in future updates... well, it's been a pet-peeve of mine for a long time.

    Measure twice, cut once.



    I wouldn't mind at all if y'all took the extra time to make sure all future content was working and completed prior to putting it out. New and shiny things are nice... but it's nicer when they are reasonably problem-free, too.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

    .55360.

  7. #87
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeolwind View Post
    Pandering to the lowest common denominator is the general term, though I think the technical term these days is median effective player. With WOTC more involved now, I don't think we'll see an increase in complexity though. It is difficult to make the case for complexity these days since other games cater to the counter and are successful because of it.
    Thanks for the term, I will try to remember it.

    I know they have had alot of success with it. Thats what makes me sad. I'm forseeing the day when there are no games for me, because they have all gone that path.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  8. #88
    The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada,Ontario, GTA
    Posts
    6,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    Thanks for the term, I will try to remember it.

    I know they have had alot of success with it. Thats what makes me sad. I'm forseeing the day when there are no games for me, because they have all gone that path.
    Amen
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

  9. #89

    Default

    I have often said when people proposed epic levels in the past that i would be opposed to epic levels until every prestige class is done. Many others agreed with this sentiment. I still find myself wanting the enhancements not the lev 25 increase and that is why this announcement is disappointing to me.

    I think backing out of the enhancement changes right now with release roughly two months away is probably a bad idea. New enhancements have to be tied into all the other stuff including quest design, epic levels, gear, new ac system, and many other facets of the game. Retooling all this stuff for the old enhancement system probably means almost as much work as finishing it and both probably exceed your deadlines. As such I doubt you have the time to make everything work right and balanced for the current enhancement system and it smells of just something else not done properly. I hope I am wrong.
    Ghallanda Rerolled
    LeLodar LeLothian LeLoki LeLoman LeLonia LeLog

  10. #90
    Community Member BlackSteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    If that's too complicated for someone than their playing the wrong game and I sincerely doubt they could come close to comprehending PnP
    I count 13 tabs, thats redonculous, cluttered, and far more complex than it should be.

    you can make due with a third of that, and have more complex character building in a simpler system.

    more does not always equal better
    Last edited by BlackSteel; 04-15-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    Shadowsteel [TR train wreck]

  11. #91
    Community Member orakio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    539

    Default

    I am just saddened by delays because of debate over 1 part of the enhancement revision.

    The original design seemed to have 4 parts in mind...
    1) Completion of missing PrE's and potentially revision of older/sub par PrE's.
    2) Allowing multiple PrE's from the same class on a character at the same time
    3) Revision of AP costs of enhancements as well as potentially their values (haste boost 1 shouldn't be such a large boost with following ranks being less)
    4) Change of the UI and way enhancements are viewed/grouped.

    People got so caught up in #4 that they are happy to see 1-3 go on the back burner indefinitely (AGAIN for PrE's). This is a terrible waste and really disappointing as a player. I really hope that at least 1&2 are still addressed with the expansion release as they are already nearly 4 years overdue.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeLoric View Post
    I have often said when people proposed epic levels in the past that i would be opposed to epic levels until every prestige class is done. Many others agreed with this sentiment. I still find myself wanting the enhancements not the lev 25 increase and that is why this announcement is disappointing to me.

    I think backing out of the enhancement changes right now with release roughly two months away is probably a bad idea. New enhancements have to be tied into all the other stuff including quest design, epic levels, gear, new ac system, and many other facets of the game. Retooling all this stuff for the old enhancement system probably means almost as much work as finishing it and both probably exceed your deadlines. As such I doubt you have the time to make everything work right and balanced for the current enhancement system and it smells of just something else not done properly. I hope I am wrong.
    I couldn't agree more, as much as they feel like "There isn't time to iterate on the design and address feedback" there are far too many things that enhancements influence to proceed with new content without having to rebalance it after the enhancement redesign. And finish PrE's for gods sake, they already had a comprehensive list of planned PrE's back in 2008 there is no reason that we should still be waiting 4 years later.
    Last edited by orakio; 04-15-2012 at 10:14 PM.

  12. #92
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    And just to be clear, I am not threatening to go to another game, or anything like that. DDO is, and likely will still be, the best mmo out there, in my opinion. However, these build restrictions will make it something I don't want to play any longer. I wont even be angry at the devs or turbine, they have to do what they have to do, just like me. If it comes to it, I will part with many fond memories of good times. However, character developement is one of the biggest draws this game has for me, and I am not going to keep playing it if I no longer enjoy it, just because most people do.

    It has not been released yet though, and the tiny embers of hope still remain that they will not go the way I, and others, dislike so much. We shall see.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  13. #93
    Community Member whitehawk74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Gondwana.
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Am i going to be the only one to say that there is nothing wrong with the current system?
    It might be slightly tricky to use, but thats only at first.
    All I needed was a friend to talk me through it and that was it.

    Video tutorials or PDFs could fix those who still have problems.
    My demands are simple. Ducks, penguins and tortoises as pets. I'll buy hats and bow-ties for them all.

  14. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitehawk74 View Post
    Am i going to be the only one to say that there is nothing wrong with the current system?
    It might be slightly tricky to use, but thats only at first.
    All I needed was a friend to talk me through it and that was it.

    Video tutorials or PDFs could fix those who still have problems.
    The problem with the current system is that it's not complete and the dev's already stated that the new system made it easier for them to complete PrE's. If the current system is the reason we've be waiting years for our PrE's then it's definitely a reason for a change.

  15. #95
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    @Orakio: your #4 is just plain wrong, they are not just changing they way it is veiwed, they are also adding in restrictions that quite a few people seriously dislike. If it was JUST changing the way it was veiwed, I doubt anyone would have any serious issues with it.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  16. #96
    The Hatchery Scraap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeLoric View Post
    I have often said when people proposed epic levels in the past that i would be opposed to epic levels until every prestige class is done. Many others agreed with this sentiment. I still find myself wanting the enhancements not the lev 25 increase and that is why this announcement is disappointing to me.

    I think backing out of the enhancement changes right now with release roughly two months away is probably a bad idea. New enhancements have to be tied into all the other stuff including quest design, epic levels, gear, new ac system, and many other facets of the game. Retooling all this stuff for the old enhancement system probably means almost as much work as finishing it and both probably exceed your deadlines. As such I doubt you have the time to make everything work right and balanced for the current enhancement system and it smells of just something else not done properly. I hope I am wrong.
    I will say I do agree with this. I'll accept the delayed enhancements, even though I think you're making more work for yourselves in the long-run, but that's only because the alternative seems likely to be a rushed out mess with a high probability for knee-jerk reactions due to too large a workload given the time-constraints. (And just to spell it out: That's not a dig, unless you count pointing out normal human reactions as a dig). I'd have far preferred to hear though that the beta was to be extended a few extra months.

  17. #97
    The Front Side Gratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cactus Area
    Posts
    3,296

    Default

    Hmmm... guess this means you're gonna have to do double work on druids. Two sets of enhancements for them and all.

    Very sad. Of all the stuff in the expansion pack. I most wanted this. Even if you bake it a year you'll still have to balance and patch it afterwards.
    I ran a Ravenloft Fan Video Trailer Contest. Thanks for all the entries. Checkout the winners:
    Details Here

  18. #98
    Community Member karnokvolrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grangeville, ID
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    I dont mind waiting at all. The current enhancement system works fine, and while its far from complete at least it isnt buggy.

    I would rather keep the current one until the new one looks flawless and works flawless.

    Smart Move To Wait Turnbine

    EDIT: Please, please, please, fix pallies.
    Last edited by karnokvolrath; 04-16-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    Gasoline(tr) Favored Soul - 5th Life
    Deadwall(tr) - Soul Survivor - 2nd Life
    Gasolinex - Pale Master
    Gasomatic Systematic - Bard

  19. #99
    Community Member Antheal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orakio View Post
    And finish PrE's for gods sake, they already had a comprehensive list of planned PrE's back in 2008 there is no reason that we should still be waiting 4 years later.
    Quoted for emphasis.

  20. #100
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeLoric View Post
    I have often said when people proposed epic levels in the past that i would be opposed to epic levels until every prestige class is done. Many others agreed with this sentiment. I still find myself wanting the enhancements not the lev 25 increase and that is why this announcement is disappointing to me.

    I think backing out of the enhancement changes right now with release roughly two months away is probably a bad idea. New enhancements have to be tied into all the other stuff including quest design, epic levels, gear, new ac system, and many other facets of the game. Retooling all this stuff for the old enhancement system probably means almost as much work as finishing it and both probably exceed your deadlines. As such I doubt you have the time to make everything work right and balanced for the current enhancement system and it smells of just something else not done properly. I hope I am wrong.
    This, a bit.

    I would much rather have everything done from levels 1-20 than go get 5 more levels and epic destinies (in whatever form they may take).

    Also, how does Druid go live? Was it not designed with the new enhancement system? Did Druid get designed with the old enhancement system? Was a delay something predicted super long ago?

    Something like the enhancement revamp seems like such a game-changing systems update that I wonder how ANYTHING developed and planned to release at the same time can go live without it.

    Dear Devs, any thoughts or insights you can share with us? Answers to some of these questions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload