Community Member

Question TR Starting Help

My history to start. I'm a veteran to MMO's. I've hardcore raided EQ as a druid, back in PoP before WoW came out. I've raided WoW, mostly as a warrior or mage. I've played numerous other MMO's as well. I started DDO on release, still have my box around here somewhere, so I'm not new to the game, but i am recently returned. I'd say its been 10+ updates since my last time i played. I also never got above level 10.

I would like to do completionist. I know its long and exhaustive and thats ok. I also plan to TR immediately upon hitting 20. I would like some advice on what to do first, and what would be the best and also easiest, which might not coincide with each other, order for TR with someone who has no twink gear available. I have no GS and don't count on tomes. I also prefer Pure builds. I know that will make some classes a lot harder and I'm ok with that. I solo and group about equally. I don't mind using a cleric hire or dps hire if its needed as well.

I am VIP.
    I have Drow unlocked on some servers.
    I do NOT have Favored Soul.
    I do NOT have Artificer.

I know some past life feats are better for most classes, like barbarian, while some, cleric, aren't at all. With the recent enhancement pass, which i personally love, i know some pure classes might be easier than others now. So if you said like, Horc Barb OcS/Rav i would assume thats a half orc barbarian, Occult Slayer primary, Ravager and Half orc tree's are secondary. Or maybe you think druid first, with its +2 to hirelings since i'll be soloing a lot would be a good first life, with wizard/artificer next. Keep in mind though the first life will be 28 point. I also know that epic TR is right around the corner, well in mmo terms "soon", and it might disrupt my plans, but if it does it does.

On a side note, I've tried streaming DDO but there isn't many people wanting to watch it which is sad, but i have seen quite a few completely new players this past week. New as in they didn't even know how to party chat instead of general chat. New blood is always good so thats great to see. Once i do get first life planned, i think i will stream it if any are interested in that, handle on twitch being Setver as well. So if anyone wants to join me on this completionist or wants to just watch and see how this build turns out, check me out. twitch.tv/setver

If you have read this far, you have my thanks. Also thanks to anyone who does respond with advice!

Setver

Community Member

Default well

are u trying to advertise your streaming ?

anyway... if you never went past 10 it is a bit bold to aim for completionist...

here are some tips: first class: warforge sorceror fire and acid using maximize emp quick heighten on the SLA spells for cheap sp cost
    while you level up you may collect some weapons and items from the house cannith challenges, they are wonderful and you may reuse them in the future...

then just tr in the class the you think you would like to play the most... be sure to have at least some basic item for it...
    i will tr into barbarian soon, i got a cannith challenge greataxe 2h weapon who can break both good dr and any metal dr... does also fire, light and bleed damage
    i also will have my barbarian wear a cloth armor with nice ac and huge chance to paralyze monsters and letting anyone deal to them +50% damage for up to 9 seconds...
    it is the cannith challenge frozen robe...

Did you want to do the relasted destiny each life? It really doesn't take very long to farm out a single destiny each life, and since you're doing all the classes anyway you may as well finish your completionist life with all destinies capped...

Quote Originally Posted by setver View Post
    I would like to do completionist. I know its long and exhaustive and thats ok. I also plan to TR immediately upon hitting 20. I would like some advice on what to do first, and what would be the best and also easiest, which might not coincide with each other, order for TR with someone who has no twink gear available. I have no GS and don't count on tomes. I also prefer Pure builds. I know that will make some classes a lot harder and I'm ok with that. I solo and group about equally. I don't mind using a cleric hire or dps hire if its needed as well.

Setver
    PL order is completely up to you and there is by no means a "bible" in which order to do them in. That being said, like you pointed out, certain PL feats help you more than others over the course of your completionist if you make it that far

Doing all caster then melee, or other way around, is a good place to start as you will gain the biggest benefit if you do them as a group. You will have to decide if Bard will be a caster or melee though

If you start melee Paladin or Monk would seem to be a good starting place. Monk gives you +1 damage or Paladin gives you Healing Amp which both are very nice on secondary + lives. After that the only other recommendation I could give is take Ranger before Artificer but even that is subjective if you build Jugg (or non-traditional vs. traditional).

If you start caster, the king is Wizard, because all casters benefit from both the active and passive benefits from the PL of this class. After that, you have a choice and no "correct" answer:
    • You can knock out the other Arcane PL, Sorcerer (most synergy with PM Wizard).
    • You can knock out Divine PL's which I would recommend FvS -> Cleric -> Druid
    • Last: Bard (assuming you place this as a Caster and not melee)

It depends on how you build the above classes if they have synergy or not. That is why they have no "correct" answer. If you play the Cleric and FvS as Envokers, then Wizard followed by Sorcerer have more benefit than if you play them as melee or Necromancers. Druid is the same, if you play the druid as a Seasons Herald the previous caster PL's will benefit you more than as a Wolf melee. And this is all assuming you play pure or 18/2 (w/evasion or some other beneficial caster split).

Again, there is no correct way and you should do what you find most enjoyable

In addition to getting the most useful PL feats first, if you want to do a single destiny per life it may be worthwhile to set your order based on the destiny map. Something like:

Paladin => Unyielding Sentinel
    Monk => Grandmaster of Flowers
    Fighter => Legendary Dreadnought
    Barbarian => Fury of the Wild
    Rogue => Shadowdancer
    Bard => Fatesinger
    Ranger
    Artificer => Shirardi Champion
    Wizard => Magister
    Sorcerer => Draconic Incarnation
    Druid => Primal Avatar
    Cleric => Exalted Angel
    Favored Soul

Depending on how much you hate the dps of paladins or the survivability of fighers/barbs you may want to reverse the order of the first four. Either way, your first life will be the fastest by far, and the second will be pretty quick as well.

Unless you plan to run a jug build, try to get ranger done before Artificer.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Did you want to do the relasted destiny each life? It really doesn't take very long to farm out a single destiny each life, and since you're doing all the classes anyway you may as well finish your completionist life with all destinies capped...
    WoW thanks, i didn't even realize that the base abilities of those were free. I assume i understand this all correctly. If i say did paladin and got Unyielding Sentinel maxed, then for some reason wanted to do favored soul second life, at lvl 20 he'd automatically have Unyielding Sentinel maxed and i could level up Exalted Angel then. The only 'free' ones would be the bottom tier though.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    If you start melee Paladin or Monk would seem to be a good starting place. Monk gives you +1 damage or Paladin gives you Healing Amp which both are very nice on secondary + lives. After that the only other recommendation I could give is take Ranger before Artificer but even that is subjective if you build Jugg (or non-traditional vs. traditional).

If you start caster, the king is Wizard, because all casters benefit from both the active and passive benefits from the PL of this class. After that, you have a choice and no "correct" answer:
    • You can knock out the other Arcane PL, Sorcerer (most synergy with PM Wizard).
    • You can knock out Divine PL's which I would recommend FvS -> Cleric -> Druid
    • Last: Bard (assuming you place this as a Caster and not melee)

Again, there is no correct way and you should do what you find most enjoyable
    I've played most classes to 5+, which isn't really far, but i feel far enough to get a grasp. I have enjoyed most classes and their PrE. Also, is the monk past life even that good? I thought it was one of the most meh ones, 1 damage doesn't seem like a lot, or is it 1 per die rolled or something? I know most aren't that impactful, its just a lot of small bonuses that add up, but 10 hp off barbarian + 20 more off the actual feat seemed pretty awesome to me. I'm going to rank what i think, and you guys can point out if you think i'm wrong. I know its opinionated but thats ok. This is also based off doing each class once and not stacking them.

Barbarian 10hp? HP is still king i assume? 9
    Bard +2 saves vs enchantements and illusions. +1 bard song. 3
    Cleric +1 DC to DC to conjuration, +1 turn undead and +2 levels to turn undead. Ok for acid based wiz/sorc, but overall a 1 or 2.
    Fighter +1 to hit and +1 DC tactical feats. so 5% more physical damage and tactical feats are class dependent. 6
    Paladin 5% healing amp, doesn't work on repair or pale master negative healing? 7
    Ranger +2 ranged damage and +2 elemental resistances. This is still a straight 2, and not 2% i assume. 5
    Rogue +2 save vs trap, +1 sneak attack damage. 5
    Sorcerer +1 DC Evocation, 20 SP. SP is pretty good, 6
    Wizard +2 Spell pen, +2 DC of wands. Amazing for casters, 8
    Monk +1 physical damage/hit. 4
    Favored Soul +1 spell pen, 20 SP. 6
    Artificer +1 int skills, +1 UMD. 3
    Druid +2 ability scores to summons/minions/hirelings. 7

Going to restate that these are what I think of each, for each other class. For example, artificer got a 3, but I know its crazy good for rogues. Cleric is meh, and only seems good if you did it 3x and were then a cleric. For the monk/fighter, this assumes i can't hit on a 2, since i'm not twinked, and will be doing elites. Once i can hit on a 2, fighter goes down, and monk goes up. Rogue seems comparable to monk if you aren't always the focus, but i should be. Druid is a 7 to me cause of hirelings alone. Now onto the feats.

Barbarian 20HP, +2 intimidate, minirage. 8
    Bard +1 Charisma skills, +1 DC enchantments, inspire couragex3. 3
    Cleric +2 heal, Healingword x5. 2
    Fighter +2 intimidate, +1 max dex bonus, martial prowessx3, 5
    Paladin +2 heal, Divine Favorx3, 3
    Ranger +2 spot, barkskin x3, 3
    Rogue +1 ALL skills, 3x+lvl hide/move silently +sneakdamage +sneakhit. 7
    Sorcerer +SP, 10x random elemental damage. 8
    Wizard +1 DC all spells, 10x magic missile, 5
    Monk +2 conc, + unarmed damage, 1xevasion. 3
    Favored Soul +2 diplomacy, 10xAvenging light, 3
    Artificer 15% free use of wand/rod/staff, 10xEnchantarmor or Enchantweapon. 4
    Druid +2 elemental resistances, 3x flameblade 3

So here i'm taking into account that its a feat, and a lot of classes don't have room for extra feats. Barbarian for 20hp, rogue for +1 all skills, and sorcerer is basicly mental toughness with an upside. Wizard is super useful on casters, and worthless on the rest. Sadly, i don't think most are considered usable for most class builds.

So I'd be interested in someone pointing out any differences they'd have. Obviously a numbering system isn't perfect, but a 5 meant its takeable under certain circumstances for feats.

So with this layout, I'd order my PL's as..

Barbarian
    Fighter
    Paladin
    Monk
    Ranger
    Artificer
    Rogue
    Druid
    Wizard
    Sorcerer
    Favored Soul
    Cleric
    Bard

Bard last, cause of a jack of all trades, he does benefit the most from every passive in some way imo.

So barbarians are first, I've played one and they seem to take a lot of damage, but i can just cleric hireling through most if it I hope. They also do a lot of damage. Is there anything specific I should 'farm' on my first life. Voice of the master seems like the most important one, but i could be missing out on others. Also, what kind of items should I be saving for future lives? I don't get burnt out by leveling, but grinding can if its excessive.

I'm not going to be going through epic destinies to rank them, as its a bit much to grasp in 1 sitting, so if you think there is one that could shift those classes around some, by all means let me know!

Thanks for everyone who was responded to me, i really do appreciate it. I'm a math nerd, so DDO has always appealed to me but i've never had the time to do this till now.

Setver

PS, I had a feeling this would timeout, took 2+ hours as I really thought about what i said. Thank god i thought about that beforehand and just copied/pasted it just in case..

WoW thanks, i didn't even realize that the base abilities of those were free. I assume i understand this all correctly. If i say did paladin and got Unyielding Sentinel maxed, then for some reason wanted to do favored soul second life, at lvl 20 he'd automatically have Unyielding Sentinel maxed and i could level up Exalted Angel then. The only 'free' ones would be the bottom tier though.
    I should clarify that the first time you choose a destiny, typically during your first life, you're generally limited to any destiny in the sphere of your dominant class. (Technically it's any class you have at least 6 levels in, but same concept.)

You can only move one destiny at a time across the map. So, for example, if your first life were barbarian, and you maxed fury of the wild, your next life the only 2 destinies available to choose would be shirardi champion or primal avatar.

Note that the order I gave as an example upthread doesn't work because it jumps from Legendary Dreadnought to Fury of the Wild, and they are not adjacent. From Legendary you must do Shirardi first before you can move on to Fury.

So with this layout, I'd order my PL's as..

Barbarian
    Fighter
    Paladin
    Monk
    Ranger
    Artificer
    Rogue
    Druid
    Wizard
    Sorcerer
    Favored Soul
    Cleric
    Bard
    This order would mean you wouldn't bother with much (if any) destinies until your last life, at which time you could farm out all 10-15+ million xp in one long, grueling Bataan death march.

Correcting my error in the order, if I were going to do a completionist, each life I would cap the corresponding destiny with the full 1.9 million xp like so:

Ranger
    Rogue => Shadowdancer
    Bard => Fatesinger
    Wizard => Magister
    Druid => Primal Avatar
    Cleric => Exalted Angel
    Favored Soul

Wizard is probably the single best PL for any caster character.

Barb PL was once nice (and still is nice) but really not all that anymore (HP is easy). Personally, I find Paladin, Wizard & Monk to be the most universally beneficial.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I should clarify that the first time you choose a destiny, typically during your first life, you're generally limited to any destiny in the sphere of your dominant class. (Technically it's any class you have at least 6 levels in, but same concept.)

You can only move one destiny at a time across the map. So, for example, if your first life were barbarian, and you maxed fury of the wild, your next life the only 2 destinies available to choose would be shirardi champion or primal avatar.

Note that the order I gave as an example upthread doesn't work because it jumps from Legendary Dreadnought to Fury of the Wild, and they are not adjacent. From Legendary you must do Shirardi first before you can move on to Fury.

This order would mean you wouldn't bother with much (if any) destinies until your last life, at which time you could farm out all 10-15+ million xp in one long, grueling Bataan death march.

Correcting my error in the order, if I were going to do a completionist, each life I would cap the corresponding destiny with the full 1.9 million xp like so:

Ranger
    Rogue => Shadowdancer
    Bard => Fatesinger
    Wizard => Magister
    Druid => Primal Avatar
    Cleric => Exalted Angel
    Favored Soul

Really? I though ti could say do Fury of the Wild, then fight for Legendary Dreadnaught, then say Bard for Fatesinger. I wouldn't get the innate on most of these until the end when they starting matching up and connecting across paths/spheres? But then it would be all golden. Am i wrong with this line of thinking? Would i have to go Fury of the Wild/Shiradi/Legendary Dreadnought?

Really? I though ti could say do Fury of the Wild, then fight for Legendary Dreadnaught, then say Bard for Fatesinger. I wouldn't get the innate on most of these until the end when they starting matching up and connecting across paths/spheres? But then it would be all golden. Am i wrong with this line of thinking? Would i have to go Fury of the Wild/Shiradi/Legendary Dreadnought?
    You can only move 1 destiny at a time across the map unless you buy a key from the store. Assuming you don't want to waste TP on hopping destinies, after fury you need to take shirardi to at least tier 4 before you can switch to legendary.

Community Member

Something to consider: you dont have to go pure-classed to get the PL for a class, you only have to go 8 deep...you can do 6 XXX/6 YYY/8 ZZZ and qualify for the past life for ZZZ. All of your power comes from the 6/6 classes, the other 8 are just there for the ride.

That means you can "cheat" and get a past life for a class, while essentially playing a different (easier, faster, more fun) class. That might help you bypass lives that are exceptionally slow, boring, or difficult to solo (pally, bard, barb, respectively), or let you hop through a class you might not want to gear out for (monk or druid, eg). If you just hate pure caster gameplay, that's the way to get caster PLs without playing a caster character, too.

You can go 6 Rgr/6 Arti and be king of the repeaters, and be able to reuse the same gear each life. You can go 6 Rgr/6 Monk and be king of the bows, likewise, with 10KS/Manyshot. For melee, 9 Monk/11 XXX is a viable build if you want to go unarmed/Ki-weapon...2 Rogue/8 Cleric/10 XXX gives you some nice attacks (shiv, flourish, bleed them out, smite foe) for TWF or THF, and of course some good self-heals. There's more variability you can get with melee splashes, but generally /2 Rogue, /6 Ranger (TWF), /6 or /9 Monk (unarmed) are involved.

For caster classes, cheat builds dont work as well since they're more back-loaded in terms of spell selection and DCs. That being said, for Heroic, you can pretty much take /2 Rogue, wield a greataxe, and be a melee wiz or sorc (WF, for selfheal) or FvS (Horc or Human, for selfheal), with Evasion and a couple spammable melee attacks. Or, naturally, just play it pure caster, once you have the gear for it.

And, like others have said, take your damage classes first. Melee, do Fighter and Monk first....ranged, do Ranger first....caster, do Wiz first. General utility (HP, SP, heal amp) second, and then anything immaterial to your playstyle.