Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Best GS Goggles for melee?

Leaning toward 45 HP / haste clicky
    air guard = win and 2lds cost = bargain.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Not interested in ls/disintegrate guard.

Would consider the displace clicky, but haste /air guard just seems better.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydamage View Post

My suggestion...do not make greensteel goggles.

Get Tharne's Goggles.

Cloak is usually a safe spot for melees.

I like 45HP+smoke (though its a dual shard).

Also what class you playing? Can go 45HP+6 CHR Skills and it would be haste guard which is nice.
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Chiming in with bacab, but with a twist:
    Only use Goggles slot if you have decided that the bonus of tharnes' goggles is too situational for your build. Remember that helplessness is enabling sneak attacks. Some people also use no GS HP goggles when in DPS gear, and the HP item only when tanking.

For choices, my personal favorites are Smoke 2 (permablur and displacement clickie) as well as triple air (Haste Clickie and Haste Guard).

The price of the triple air ones is so reasonable, that if you haven't quite decided on your final gear yet, you can craft them now, put them in the slot you need them now, and in the event that you rearrange your gear (eg get tharnes goggles), you can craft a new HP item, and still have a nice haste clickie.
    Last edited by karl_k0ch; 04-13-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: fix proposed by Taimasan
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

If he's playing a tank, then I say: why not.
    If you're not playing someone who knows will be the main target all the time, then get Tharne's Goggles as well. The usual spot for GS accessory on melees is, as Bacab has stated, the cloak.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    Also what class you playing? Can go 45HP+6 CHR Skills and it would be haste guard which is nice.
    HP Air gives Dex skills, to get Cha skills you have to go with spellpoints.
    Devourer ate my characters.

I don't get the permablur love. There are other items that give permablur, like Mabar Cloak, Bracers of Wind and Ring of the Stalker. Plus it lasts 1 min/level from a friendly arcane caster.

Triple Air is good.
    Triple Earth is also good, in my opinion. The con skills don't help you unless you're a bluebar melee (paladin/ranger), a monk, or UMD scrolls in combat, but earthgrab guard is fun against trash, and the summon is actually very helpful midlevels and mildly useful at higher levels. It is also quite cheap on the LDS front.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke-H- View Post
    HP Air gives Dex skills, to get Cha skills you have to go with spellpoints.
    Doh, you are right. My BRD had/has triple air/CHR skills...but it was SP.
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by karl_k0ch View Post
    For choices, my personal favorites are Smoke 2 (permablur and displacement clickie) as well as triple air (Haste Clickie and Haste Guard).
    FTFY

Anyways, I would suggest a HP item coupled with Smoke II or Air guard, or any other where it will benefit you. Don't get hung up on saying I want this for the goggle's slot instead, because as you get better geared...be prepared to have tier 3 pieces sitting in the bank like the rest of us =). Use it in the slot that you need the most, by the time you get that next big gear upgrade, your farming should make you that much closer to crafting replacement GS's.
    /popcorn
    Monk / ~Thoroughbred~ (36 pt HO Epic Ready -Tank/DPS)-
    * Continuing Epic Guide - Mobius for Acolytes*

Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    I don't get the permablur love. There are other items that give permablur, like Mabar Cloak, Bracers of Wind and Ring of the Stalker. Plus it lasts 1 min/level from a friendly arcane caster.

Triple Air is good.
    Triple Earth is also good, in my opinion. The con skills don't help you unless you're a bluebar melee (paladin/ranger), a monk, or UMD scrolls in combat, but earthgrab guard is fun against trash, and the summon is actually very helpful midlevels and mildly useful at higher levels. It is also quite cheap on the LDS front.
    Blurry/Smoke2: 20%

Ghostly as in Mabar's and Stalker: 10%

Important question remaining: since Smokescreen and Ghostly are differently named and have different amounts of bonuses, does that mean they stack or not?

For clickies simply build Tier2 goggles. Maybe just Displacement clickie. For tanking maybe Air guard with DEX skills (Balance!). Keep other gurads on cloak slot maybe.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

I like Ooze, Cloudkill clicky is awesome when grouped with lazy casters, and the sunder proc seems to stack with all other AC debuffs
    Comfortably [d|n]umb

Toons: Weirdly || Inbound || Samma || Ocular || Annoyed || Stinkpelt of Khyber
    WanderLust EuroTrash

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Important question remaining: since Smokescreen and Ghostly are differently named and have different amounts of bonuses, does that mean they stack or not?
    They are both concealment bonuses, so only the highest applies.

Anyone still use earthgrab on HP goggles.

I have the Mabar cloak, and can UMD displace scrolls/blur wands.

I have Tharnes, but also the Epic Brawling Gloves. Only one step down in SA damage.

This is on a Blizt build, but am looking at TR'ing himinto a 12F/7R/1M, so looking for optimization here.

Probably will want to use Tharnes, and swap out my Air guard on my DT for Tharnes for the threat reduction, but not sure where to put GS HP myself now.

Quote Originally Posted by Taimasan View Post
    Don't get hung up on saying I want this for the goggle's slot instead, because as you get better geared...be prepared to have tier 3 pieces sitting in the bank like the rest of us =). Use it in the slot that you need the most, by the time you get that next big gear upgrade, your farming should make you that much closer to crafting replacement GS's.
    Sad but true. That's why it's good to pick up an extra cleansing stone on your 20th lists if you ever plan on using two accessories, so when you inevitably have to remake them, you can immediately make and use both.

--

Goggles are a difficult spot because of the existance of Tharnes. If you have an alternative source of sneak attack to-hit/damage and TS, then it's a viable choice.

Cloak is a decent spot if you don't plan on going with a 3-piece Abishai set. The Envenomed Cloak is even a good choice by itself, even without going for the three piece set.

Boots are a poor choice in most cases because of the need for Boots of Anchoring in ToD. You CAN get around it with consumable or limited charge items (Scarab, Mantle, Pale Lavender), but to be perfectly safe you need the boots. Boots are also a good spot for one of your Abishai set pieces if you choose to go that route.

Bracers and Gloves are typically taken up with either a Fabricators set, or an epic Claw set on many melees.

Necklace is a good spot if you only plan on using one ToD set (for instance, if you are going to use an Epic Ring of the Stalker as your source seeker, and exceptional sneak attack).

Helm works, but again, the Epic Helm of Frost is one of the most common spots for the 3-piece Abishai set.

Not 100% sure but I believe they do not stack, but do generate
    2 roll opportunities. ie 1 roll vs 10%, 1 vs 20%.

Could be wrong here, tho.
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doomcrew View Post
    Not 100% sure but I believe they do not stack, but do generate
    2 roll opportunities. ie 1 roll vs 10%, 1 vs 20%.

Could be wrong here, tho.
    i dont think this is right. both are concealment, and there is only 1 roll for this

With concealment and Monks Shadow Fade this is the case. I love reading Blurry, Blurry, Incorporeal, Blurry ...

Blurry/Smoke2: 20%
    The level 16 and 20 versions of the Cloak of Night actually have a 20% concealment bonus even though the description states 10%.

You can test this yourself by casting blur while wearing one.
    Devourer ate my characters.

I believe the Ring at Epic Tier 2 and 3 has ghostly, which gives 20% like blur also.

Community Member

Sundering Ooze

Crafted this on my tank to situationally swap with tharne's. The ac debuff goes off all the time and stacks with all the other ac debuffs and the cloudkill clickie is good when the caster doesn't have it loaded or is too lazy to throw one on you.

The pudding is fun. I've seen it draw aggro of things like Lailat and Suulomades. It's good for a laugh.

OT: There is certainly no correlation between 5 posters from Orien in this thread and their mutual world domination plans.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydamage View Post

Without clarifying your toon is hard to give good suggestion.. what kind of melee is he, does he tank a lot and is the focus of mobs, or a backside beater, solo or pug a lot.... Is your focus on trash or endbosses.

A maintank melee will not find much use from Tharnes other than as the occasional swapout item.

- Concordant Opposition (for all of the options if you have a mana bar but I suspect you do not have).

so....
    - Hasteguard 3x 1.5min haste clickies knockdown effect doesnt work on names, +1ac guard with Great AC doesnt proc much as you are not getting hit , with poor AC doesnt matter much since you are getting hit a lot and 1 Ac wont make a difference. Haste clickie is allways a good item, but you dont need 3 tiers for a haste clickie you can craft 2 tiers and swap in as needed.

My preferred AC Tank
    - Min2 gives heavy Fort and +5 protection this is a nice consolidation(stoneskin clickies).
    - Ooze Hp item may be better here.(cloudkill clickie/Mob AC Debuff)

My preferred poor AC tank (such as a WF DR tank )
    - Disintigrate or other damage guards for extra damage/hate (except when you dont want what is attacking you to get killed have a backup non-damaging item like smoke for displacement.)

My preferred Non-Tank
    - Smoke permanent undispellable 20% blurr
    - Airguard / haste clickies
    - Radiance Guard 4d6 light damage and blindness procs regularly
    - Earthgrab guard ( earth ellie clickies..)
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast