Default The Stormbringer

I like having fun. Do you like having fun? Fun in DDO to me is building bizarre concept/theme builds that should never really work in a min/maxers world, but somehow always end up being greater than the sum of there parts. this is a build I've been working, is currently level 18 and is a great deal of fun to play to me.

The Theme - The Stormbringer

In the real world, one of the things that always make's me grin is Lightning. Nature's own weapon of war strikes with a burning, explosive force that is truly awe-inspiring. So how about a melee character that could summon his own Lightning Strikes - an 'Avatar of the Storm', if you will? With a natural Storm comprising elements of Wind, Rain and of couse, Electricity, there's plenty of scope. I decided upon a theme in the iconic Lightning strike would be the basis of any theme, but I had good idea's on the Wind & Rain aspects too.

And for pure unadulterated joy, I decided to go all out maxing out how many thunderbolts I could have raining down on the enemy

Realising the Theme in D&D Online - Nature's own Warrior

So I took a long look at what I could do around a lightning-inspired character Of course, immediately springing to mind was the the Half-Elf Dragonmark - the Greater dragonmark give you the ability to summon Call Lightning Storm (CLS), very similar in style to the Druid spell in the SRD and hopefully to the spell that Druids may get in the upcoming expansion. 3 feats is a massive investment however, and on top of that 5D10 damage ws going to need some serious amplifying to make it of use - but more of that later.

So Half-Elf was the race choice. The Dilletante was put to Rogue for the additional DPS of course, and leveraging the Half-Elf attribute enahancements for for additional HP and Heal Amp would suit self-healing very nicely. Human Versatility brings more Burst DPS as well.

Side Track: I have to admit, I must be one of the few who like Half-Elves both from a gameplay perspective and even in the character graphics. To me they have an ethereal 'other-world' look. To other, they look like plastic dolls. *Shrug*

The Class choice naturally fits Ranger. Druids are the more altruistic Nature's champion - Rangers are the more 'in your face' types that bring Melee Mayhem and Accurate Archery to the mix. Not just spells.

Ranger brings a whole load of goodies for this build:

Full Two Weapon Fighting line - why have one weapon with Lightning Strike when you can have two?
    Full Ranged Attack ability - Manyshot with a Lightnign strike Bow, anyone?
    Ranger 'Tempest' - Fits so well to the theme, and an additional 20% Offhand attacks means more procs of Lightning Strike weapons and more opportunities to roll 20s (see below).

However, it wasn't going to be a pure build by any stretch of the imagination. Tempest pre-requirements and Dragonmarks take up 6 feats alone. Add on an Exotic weapon proficiency, Metamagics for dragonmarks and Ranger self-healing and the usual DPS feats of Power Attack, Improved critical and the synonymous Toughness for HP - and I was at 12 feats total.

Ranger 14 brings a big leap in self-sustainability through access to very nice spells: cure Serious Wounds and Freedom of Movemement. CSW is great for self-healing, and will be in the spell slot 95% of the time. FoM can be swapped in on the rare occasion you want it for soloing. CSW + Quicken + Maximise is a powerful tool in self-preservation when mixing it up in combat.

The only way to have my cake and eat it, feat wise, was to go to 14 Ranger, 4 Fighter, 2 Monk. I agonised over this split for a long time, thinking to build in a level of Wizard for the SP and the Meta-Magic, but just couldn't do it. I couldn't get to the magic number of 14 Ranger levels and have access to 12 feats without the split designed.

That said, both Fighter 4 and Monk 2 bring a nice range of benefits each. From the Fighter it was Haste Boost 2, Toughness 2, Strength 1, and class based additional HP. For the Monk, improved saves across the board, early access to Evasion, and Wisdom bonus to AC looked like nice ways to improve the base build. 6 levels and 5 bonus feats is a tasty way to get all that I wanted.

So with base build sketched out, it was onto considering gear...

More to follow...
    Last edited by Arlathen; 04-12-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    The Theorybuild Author
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

Considering the Equipment

This got a bit long with the explanations, so made it into post 2 on its own!

Tools for Thunder & Lightning...

Greensteel Lightning Strike Khopeshes - This build has no better example of the wanted theme - *BOOM* a 600pt averaged strike of damage from a simple melee weapon is quite impressive. Of course, Lightning strike weapons have been around for quite some time.... so what else?

A Lightning Strike/Lightning 2 Longbow - Would also be an exceptional idea to capitilise on the ranged ability.

Charged Gauntlets / Crystal Cove Bold trinket - Add Shocking Blow to melee attacks on top of other weapon effects is always helpful for added DPS.

Epic Charged Gauntlets - The real money maker here. A definite proc on a melee roll of a 20, for the Greater Shocking Blow effect. Which very happily I might add, displays a nice big Lightning Bolt just like the Lightning Strike effect. A 'nice to have', but it adds alot to the feel of the build and is worth the grind to get some.

Greensteel Tier 3 Lightning Strike Guard - Lets have a Guard thats gives off a nice big Lightning strike too, shall we?

The Darkstorm Helm - A Clicky of CLS, along with Superior Magnetism and Major Lightning Lore to really power you Dragonmark Call Lightnign Storms? *sold*. The Epic version of this is even better Epic Magnetism VI, Superior Lightning Lore and 3 Clickies of Call Lightning Storm. Delicious. But do remember that the clickies are not affected by any meta-magics you may have.

Wearable's for Wind....

Bracers of Wind - These are just as good as the Darkstorm helm for upping your CLS damage, but with some alternative benefits. Instead of the additional CLS, you get some nice melee favourable mods with permanent Blur, Dodge +3 AC and Air Guard.

Windhowler Bracers - If you prefer the Darkstorm Helm, then these make a good alternative for some increased Ranged damage with the Shrieking Bolt effect and addition to hit/damage for ranged attacks.

Cannith: Melee Alacrity 10% - One of my favourite Cannith crafted effects, this gets slotted onto a trinket at level 1 with a Master Crafted Shard and stays there. I abhor spending plat on Haste potions, and not every caster out there is on the ball with Haste buffs.

Cannith: Ranged Alacrity 10% - Well, it's there, might as well use it as well! A Cannith crafted Holy Longbow of Ranged alacrity is a good staple weapon to level up with.

Cannith Boots of Propulsion - Striding 30% is gravy to keep you moving along at a good old pace, but chuck on Jump skill improvements and the occasional Jet Boost for some added movement speed.

Quiver of Ranged Alacrity 10% - Abbot Raid loot, and thus can be a bit difficult to get as everyone wants one now to slot Striding 30% on to. Strictly a 'nice to have item' though, like the Epic Charged Gauntlets.

Rigging for Rain....

The Rain aspect really comes into for this character more at End Game, although you have the option for an amazing levelling items as well.

The Elemental Khopesh of Water - the Improved Paralyzing and Freezing Ice aspects of this weapon really give your Ranger an edge in Epic diffculty quests besides just supplying DPS. The base item can be achieved through non-Epic challenge quests, and then upgraded to +6 with Epic Slots when you feel more comfortable in Epic Questing.

The Frozen Tunic - Adds Freezing Ice to all your melee attacks, so you can wield Lighting 2 Greensteel and still get frozen enemies! Not to mention you can start with the level 4 version of this outfit and still get Minor Freezing Ice that has the same really nice DC of the standard ability! The occasional Fire Shield proc is fitting, and the armour bonus nicely matches or exceeds what you might get with a DT outfit too.

Dragontouched Outfit - Heal Amp 10%/Heal Amp 20%/Destruction. I'm intending to have both available, so I use the Tunic with the Lightning strike weapons and the DT in Epics with the Khopeshes of Water.

Cannith: Superior Devotion IV - Fits nicely onto your Melee Alacrity trinket, powers up your self-healing without the need for swap ins or Ardor clickies.
    Last edited by Arlathen; 04-22-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    The Theorybuild Author
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

The Stormbringer Build

Half-Elf 32pt Ranger 14 / Fighter 4 / Monk 2

+2 Tomes/Easy Equipment Version
    Str: 16 Base +1 Tome +6 Item +5 Levels +1 Racial +1 Class +2 Rage +2 Rams +2 Guild = 36 Str
    Dex: 14 Base +2 Tome +6 Item +2 Class +2 Guild = 26 Dex
    Con: 16 Base +1 Tome +6 Item +1 Racial +2 Rage +2 Guild = 28 Con
    Int: 08 Base +2 Tome +2 Guild = 12 Int
    Wis: 14 Base +1 Tome +6 Item +1 Class +2 Guild = 24 Wis
    Cha: 08 Base +0 Tome +2 Guild = 10 Cha

+3 Tomes/Good Equipment Version
    Str: 16 Base +3 Tome +6 Item +5 Levels +1 Racial +1 Class +2 Rage +2 Rams +2 Guild = 40 Str
    Dex: 14 Base +3 Tome +7 Item +2 Class +2 Guild = 28 Dex
    Con: 16 Base +3 Tome +6 Item +1 Racial +2 Rage +2 Guild = 30 Con
    Int: 08 Base +2 Tome +2 Guild = 12 Int
    Wis: 14 Base +3 Tome +6 Item +1 Class +2 Guild = 26 Wis
    Cha: 08 Base +2 Tome +2 Guild = 12 Cha

Feats & Leveling Order
    1 Ranger - Toughness, Dil: Rogue
    2 Monk - Bonus: Dodge
    3 Ranger - Least DM of Storm, Bonus: TWF, Rapid Shot
    4 Monk - Bonus: Mobility
    5 Ranger
    6 Ranger - Lesser DM of Storm
    7 Fighter - Spring Attack
    8 Ranger
    9 Ranger - Greater DM of Storm, Bonus: ITWF, Many Shot, Tempest 1
    10 Fighter - Bonus: IC: Slash
    11 Ranger
    12 Fighter - Maximise
    13 Ranger
    14 Fighter - Power Attack
    15 Ranger - Ex: Khopesh
    16 Ranger
    17 Ranger - Bonus: GTWF, Precise Shot, Imp. Precise Shot
    18 Ranger - Quicken, Tempest 2
    19 Ranger
    20 Ranger

Can take Khoepsh earlier if you want, I tried the build with Rapiers at first and wanted to play around with the Greater DM

Enhancements
    Human Adaptability 2 (Str & Con)
    Ranger Dexterity 2
    Fighter Strength 1
    Monk Wisdom 1
    Ranger Tempest 2
    Fighter Haste Boost 2
    Human Versatility 4
    Improved Rogue Dilletante 2
    Favoured Enemy Damage 4
    Monk Way of the Hound 1
    Extra Dragonmarks 3
    Ranger Devotion 3
    Human Improved Recovery 2
    Racial Toughness 3
    Fighter Toughness 2
    Ranger Sprint Boost 1
    = 80AP

Hit Points
    020 Base
    200 Con 30 @ lvl 20
    112 Ranger 14
    040 Fighter 4
    016 Monk 2
    022 Toughness Feat
    030 Racial Toughness
    020 Fighter Toughness
    010 Argonessen Favour
    045 Greensteel HP Item
    030 Greater False Life
    020 Toughness
    = 565HP

Anticipated Equipment
    Armour1: Lvl 20 Frozen Tunic
    Armour2: DT Outfit - Heal Amp +10%, Heal Amp +20%, Destruction
    Helm: Minos Legens
    Bracers: Lvl 20 Bracers of Wind
    Gauntlets: Epic Charged Gauntlets
    Cloak: Greensteel HP+45 Item, Lightning Strike Guard
    Goggles: Cannith Blindness Ward Goggles of Attack Bonus +4
    Necklace: Crafted Wisdom +6 of Protection +5
    Belt: Crafted Constitution +6 Belt of Heavy Fortification
    Ring 1: Epic Ring of the Stalker
    Ring 2: Epic Ring of the Bucaneer (Dex +7, Prot +5, Good Luck +2)
    Trinket: Cannith Superior Devotion IV Trinket of Melee Alacrity 10%
    Trinket: Cannith Superior Devotion IV Trinket of True Seeing
    Trinket: Cannith Superior Devotion IV Trinket of Dodge +2

Weapons
    Lightning 2 Khopesh - Shocking Blast/Lightning Strike at Tier 3
    Lightning 2 Khopesh - Shocking Blast/Lightning Strike at Tier 3
    Swap: Lightning 2 Khopesh - Insight AC +4/Lightning Strike at Tier 3
    Lightning 2 Longbow - Exc. Dexterity +2/Lightning Strike at Tier 3
    Lvl 20 Elemental Khopesh of Water x2

Comments Welcome
    Last edited by Arlathen; 04-22-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    The Theorybuild Author

Community Member

In the process of rolling this guy up I realized:

Your missing a feat.

Level 14 you took fighter..you get a feat there.

Also your AP total is incorrect. The total for listed enhancements is: 73 not 79
    Last edited by Jalpa7; 04-22-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalpa7 View Post
    In the process of rolling this guy up I realized:

Your missing a feat.

Level 14 you took fighter..you get a feat there.

Also your AP total is incorrect. The total for listed enhancements is: 73 not 79
    Fixed & Fixed. Power Attack missing was simply an oversight during write-up - it was listed in post 1 of the description of the build.

The new Enhancements list is what I'm currently running with at 20 with all 80 spent. I've also updated current Equipment list as well, finally got my Epic Charged Gauntlets last night!
    Last edited by Arlathen; 04-23-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    The Theorybuild Author

Community Member

If you took Elven Dexterity 1 instead of Ranger Dexterity 2 it would net you 2 more AP's

Also wouldn't it be better to take Human adapt in STR & WIS so you have an even number in wisdom and not an odd in con (oh that's right you need the con for racial toughness 3). Well it's still a thought.
    Last edited by Jalpa7; 04-23-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalpa7 View Post
    If you took Elven Dexterity 1 instead of Ranger Dexterity 2 it would net you 2 more AP's

Also wouldn't it be better to take Human adapt in STR & WIS so you have an even number in wisdom and not an odd in con (oh that's right you need the con for racial toughness 3). Well it's still a thought.
    Ranger Dexterity 2 is a Tempest 2 pre-requisite.

Also, I already had the +3 tomes for the build. Wisdom is really a minor in this build as AC is an added bonus, not a planned for build option. Strength & Constitution are the main focuses, along with Dexterity for Reflex saves and Ranged Combat To-Hit.

Since a large HP pool means more to survivability at End Game than what AC does, there's no way I'd sacrifice a strength of build from the Con investment.
    The Theorybuild Author