Default Weapon Enchantment Reduction?

I seem to remember from the planescape campaign that the magical enchantments would be reduced by one for every shift from the plane the weapon was created. So if you were in the Outlands with a +5 sword created in Faerun, it would only be +4. If that same weapon was then in Greyhawk, it would be +3.

If we did this with the new content, it could make the new content more fun.

It would mean any weapon from Forgotten Realms would be bad in Eberron.

just got me thinking, fully geared eSoS wielding barb goes to fight lolth, only to find out his sword is now plane old regular SoS

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Shiny things are shiny.

Community Member

First rule of D&D: don't give the DM any ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidKoala View Post
    just got me thinking, fully geared eSoS wielding barb goes to fight lolth, only to find out his sword is now plane old regular SoS
    wouldnt be that much of a downgrade. the strongest feature of the SoS is the critical profile. the high base damage is just gravy. Well atleast for high str toons anyway. The base damage is useful for 1/2 n 3/4 BaB classes
    Shadowsteel [TR train wreck]

Default That gives me an idea.

How about decreasing the strength of ALL gear by one order of magnitude... It might make confronting Lolth all the more challenging... Or at least, interesting.
    Ziind Stargazer - Level 12 fighter/6 Barbarian/2 rogue Half-Orc (Neutral Good) - Formerly a level 20 Paladin Human - Orien

Fernian Summer Carnival

Quote Originally Posted by Ziindarax View Post
    How about decreasing the strength of ALL gear by one order of magnitude... It might make confronting Lolth all the more challenging... Or at least, interesting.
    um... "ALL"?
    don' think the regular cannith crafted stuff needs nerfing
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

First, Eberron and Toril are both on the prime, so no reduction. Now using that rule, the Demonweb Pits would reduce your enhancement bonus by 2, using the Great Wheel cosmology-- Prime--> Astral--> Abyss. However, they seem to be using 4th edition lore where the cosmology was completely redesigned. Finally, Planescape was 2nd Edition, and I don't remember it that rule was ported to 3rd or 4th editions.