Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMageT View Post
    Did you forget who we are talking about ? We could play the "Why ?" game all day long
    Nerp I did not. For everything they dont do correctly, theres hundreds of things they got right. If this wasnt the case, none of us would even be here talking about it. We are just more vocal about the things they screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMageT View Post
    I agree it "should be" squelched = blocked especially as it relates to the party star.

It could be a bit tricky to do the whole

IF (squelch_list_party_member_A..E[] == requesting_to_join_player) denied!
    ELSE accept!

for everyone in the party.
    Yeah that would be rough. So if I have someone on squelch and they got into the party first, I cant get in, even though its not their party. I imagine there are a few people that half the server has on squelch for obvious reasons, and them getting into an open group is pretty much denying half the server into the same. This likely wouldnt happen too often, but when it does it would be a pain for all involved, as it could be unknown to the group leader as to why its taking so long for their group to fill, heh.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Madfloyd can you please clarify the squelch feature. It seems Chai is reading it differently then most of the people posting.

Anyways, I think we need a profile as already mentioned and then try match people as best as possible. Things like:
    I need a healer to stay vertical.
    I am self sufficient.
    I like to zerg.
    I like to go at an average pace.
    I like to sniff flowers.

Some features to consider.
    1. A personal gear/death check behind the scenes. Something to inform a player they may not be ready for X content. This could also be used to match players. Players that die 10 times on average in quest get matched up, players without DR breakers are notified etc.
    2. No leader. As long as someone has the star they are expected to make decisions, and could end up in a musical chairs situation.
    3. generic area lfm such as house X in the party's current level, or "harbor quests".
    4. Adding a part number to chain quests. Seeing clan gnashtooth doesn't usually help me to remember what part that is of the 4, and most people probably would want to start at the beginning.
    5. Add a random decision maker for the next quest where if this option is chosen, it will put up what quest to do next in the lfm for your levels.

Can't add to these enough: personal death/re-entry penalties, squelch=blocked, and withdraw request to private parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    That's pretty cool for us vets who already know where everything is... Not so sure that's good for new players.

Still, very interesting.
    It almost SOUNDS like they're saying, hey, dual-boxers, are you tired of running your alt around manually to keep up with your main? HERE'S A FREE RIDE!!!
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Quote Originally Posted by goblean View Post
    Madfloyd can you please clarify the squelch feature. It seems Chai is reading it differently then most of the people posting.

Anyways, I think we need a profile as already mentioned and then try match people as best as possible. Things like:
    I need a healer to stay vertical.
    I am self sufficient.
    I like to zerg.
    I like to go at an average pace.
    I like to sniff flowers.

Some features to consider.
    1. A personal gear/death check behind the scenes. Something to inform a player they may not be ready for X content. This could also be used to match players. Players that die 10 times on average in quest get matched up, players without DR breakers are notified etc.
    This is what the normal LFM panel would be for.

Personally, I would like to see the Auto-Group be as double-blind as it could be, part of the risk of using it, and if you have a long squelch list, then it may not be the option for you.

It is meant for players who do not want to have to lead groups, leaving notes and tags and all that, is available in the normal LFM panel and a tool for accomplished Group Leaders, not people try to NOT be group leaders, so it would be a waste to put it in both options.

If you need to make notes to the players who join, letting them know you want to be picky, then use the existing system, that is what it will remain there for.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    The 'need' comes from a lot of players telling us that they don't group because of the negotiation involved in joining a group, or having to lead one that they start themselves. I suspect this doesn't apply to most of you reading this forum.
    Last edited by Ungood; 04-15-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Sanity: It's a tiny island off the mainland of Foolishness. Exports are currently sanctioned.

Since there is some concern over the recently announced 'auto-grouping' system, I thought I'd shed some light on it.

Coming soon to an update near you:

When entering an instance (dungeon or wilderness) you'll be able to choose whether you want to create a private instance (no change from how it works now) or a public one.

If you opt for public, you'll have control over whether you start your own/new instance (useful for when you want to lead or already have a partial party) or join an existing one (assuming one exists - otherwise you'll start a new one).

When a new public instance is created, a LFM entry will be posted in the Grouping panel (with an indication that this is a 'public' instance and the time elapsed). Other players can join by using the LFM or by walking up to and entering the instance (and choosing the 'join' option).

When players choose to join a public instance via the LFM listing, no permission is required and, if they are already in a public area, they can teleport to the quest immediately.

Players will also be able to search the LFM listings and invoke a search via the Adventure Compendium.

Leaders of public parties can modify or delete the LFM at any time (e.g. it's decided that no other party members are required etc).

There will also be an option to 'avoid leadership', so that players who start public instances but would prefer not to be the leader can have the game transfer leadership over to the next player (that doesn't have this option on).

Why have we made these changes? Simply to provide more flexibility for players wishing to find groups. These changes should not take away any existing methods of forming groups (public LFM's can be hidden if you prefer) and you should be able to operate the way you always have.

This is NOT a system that allows players to queue up for quests in advance or coaxes players to PUG. Also, this has no relation to Lotro's auto-grouping system.

There will be some rudimentary matchmaking logic for when players manually enter an instance and choose the 'join public instance in progress' option (where there are multiple public instances in progress).
    Would you be so KIND sir, as to allow the originator of the Public Quest Instance to provide a new member a "Would you like to teleport to the entrance of the quest?" or a "Dude, you wanna teleport INTO the quest from wherever you're at?" window. I am so very upset with members that join and cannot even locate the quest, demanding my full and immediate babysitting while I am in the midst of battle.

I would also very much appreciate being able to elect slots to specific classes at the moment the LFM is generated, e.g. 2 slots: Pal, Ftr, Rgr, Mnk, Brb; 1 slot: FvS, Clr; 1 slot Sor/Wiz; 1 slot Art, Rog. Multiclass restrictions: unbalanced 4 to 1 (4 primary class levels to 1 secondary class) (e.g. no 3/3/3 Ftr Clr Rgr builds)
    Last edited by Xeraphim; 04-15-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Some folks make really disastrous builds that I would prefer not to literally carry through a dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Would you be so KIND sir, as to allow the originator of the Public Quest Instance to provide a new member a "Would you like to teleport to the entrance of the quest?" or a "Dude, you wanna teleport INTO the quest from wherever you're at?" window. I am so very upset with members that join and cannot even locate the quest, demanding my full and immediate babysitting while I am in the midst of battle.

I would also very much appreciate being able to elect slots to specific classes at the moment the LFM is generated, e.g. 2 slots: Pal, Ftr, Rgr, Mnk, Brb; 1 slot: FvS, Clr; 1 slot Sor/Wiz; 1 slot Art, Rog. Multiclass restrictions: unbalanced 4 to 1 (4 primary class levels to 1 secondary class) (e.g. no 3/3/3 Ftr Clr Rgr builds)
    Given the Target Audience for this new feature.

The 'need' comes from a lot of players telling us that they don't group because of the negotiation involved in joining a group, or having to lead one that they start themselves. I suspect this doesn't apply to most of you reading this forum.
    It may not be an option for everyone. Hence why the existing LFM system will remain unchanged and intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    This is what the normal LFM panel would be for.

Personally, I would like to see the Auto-Group be as double-blind as it could be, part of the risk of using it, and if you have a long squelch list, then it may not be the option for you.

It is meant for players who do not want to have to lead groups, leaving notes and tags and all that, is available in the normal LFM panel and a tool for accomplished Group Leaders, not people try to NOT be group leaders, so it would be a waste to put it in both options.

If you need to make notes to the players who join, letting them know you want to be picky, then use the existing system, that is what it will remain there for.
    My examples and ideas had nothing to do with LFM notes or even visible notes. Profile something that is set up ahead of time, and the system does its best to match you up with like minded individuals to enhance your enjoyment.

I do not have a long squelch list, but would like to exclude people that find it amusing to grief or be generally disruptive.

I had been contemplating adding a suggestion to add such a feature before this came out, so yes I feel this tool is something for my playstyle, but I want it to be useful not chat-roulette. I like pugging, but hate the micromanagement of leading a LFM. Again this is not about being picky on occasions where I do lead a group I take the first few who apply. This was about making a profile to better group people provided it is a tool a lot of people use. It had nothing to do with LFM notes or restrictions, other than squelch.

Quote Originally Posted by goblean View Post
    I had been contemplating adding a suggestion to add such a feature before this came out, so yes I feel this tool is something for my playstyle, but I want it to be useful not chat-roulette.
    Actually, that would be totally awesome, while I can't say I thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, a Chat-roulette style grouping method would be ideal to be honest. The sheer thrill of meeting random strangers in a game to go off and adventure with. It would be it's own style of enjoyment.

Even if they don't make this Auto-group thing like that, they should put something like that into the game.

Make it So Madfloyd!

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Actually, that would be totally awesome, while I can't say I thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, a Chat-roulette style grouping method would be ideal to be honest. The sheer thrill of meeting random strangers in a game to go off and adventure with. It would be it's own style of enjoyment.

Even if they don't make this Auto-group thing like that, they should put something like that into the game.

Make it So Madfloyd!
    Isnt this already in game with the LFM panel? You can take the first 5 people that hit your LFM and away you go.
    3 Rules to Life

1.) "Dont teach a pig how to sing because it wastes your time and annoys the pig."
    2.) "Never wrestle a pig in mud, because you get dirty and the pig enjoys it."
    3.) "Never argue with an idiot because people watching cannot tell the difference."
    Krago - Dwarven Barbarian

Sounds like there's a lot of issues behind the scenes with the auto grouping that players want to see.

Heck, it almost sounds like a dating match!

1. Likes to zerg? Check!
    2. Enjoys smashing stuff? Check!
    3. Has the right clothes? Check!
    4. Isn't someone I already hate? Check!
    5. In the right level range? Check!
    6. Fills a specific role I need? Check!

Geez! by the time we're done giving them all these suggestions, the Auto grouping will either be gimped, or tied down by so much code and restriction it would be easier to just put up an LFM and go the old style!

IMO, the autogrouping should be just that. If you choose to participate in the autogrouping, you get a random group in level range. Period.

Kind of like that old box o chocolates, You never know what you're going to get!
    For those that want to detail each nuance of party makeup, well, thats what an LFM is for, no?
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    For those that want to detail each nuance of party makeup, well, thats what an LFM is for, no?
    I am not able to disagree with you man
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    Exactly!

Question I don't...

I don't get it.

Sometimes I thing you guys (Turbine) simply change things for the sake of ....
    CHANGE.

Like you have a new set of developers and every group wants to do it their way.
    It like a new wife always rearranging the furniture for no good god reason.

If this encourages players to play together... so be it.

What about all the other things Turbine has done that DOES not encourage team-play.

Is this damage control for past errors?

I don't get it.

I love how they change quests that I have been playing for years and then make it easier for new players... what about me? You know added air streams to make travel easier, locks removed from shrines stuff like that.

I dunna know...
    The One True Fighter/Wizard Father of the Alliance General Orcneas of ORC

http://darkside.guildportal.com http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=174849

Community Member

Sounds like it could be useful to a percentage of the user base, although I doubt that I would use it except for low level quests on the first life of a new toon I rolled. Now that I have Vet Status 7, that amounts to a few days, maybe.

Thoughts based upon having read the entire thread:

1) The ability to withdraw a request to join a private party is long overdue.

When I apply, I usually give a max of 1 minute to get accepted or move on, and often the next option is a solo run. If I have made any significant progress in that solo run, I'm not recalling to drop group if I get a late acceptance. If the group run was LoB, and the group has already started to clear the wilderness, you immediately have grouping drama. Grouping drama is bad for the game, and is one of the reasons you are addding this new support in the first place.

2) Porting to quest should either be supported for both public and private parties, or for neither.

The choice of what grouping option to take should be based upon the core charactistics of the grouping option, not some side benefit added to one option but not the other. Adding the side benefit to public parties but not private parties will simply encourage people ill suited to public parties to use that grouping option. The result? More grouping drama.

Like all MMOs, the social aspect of this game is highly important. Frankly, this area of the game is one of its weaknesses at this point. I trust that you have a checklist of considerations that you use to evaluate all game changes. The social aspect is something that needs to be added to that checklist.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post

2) Porting to quest should either be supported for both public and private parties, or for neither.

The choice of what grouping option to take should be based upon the core charactistics of the grouping option, not some side benefit added to one option but not the other. Adding the side benefit to public parties but not private parties will simply encourage people ill suited to public parties to use that grouping option. The result? More grouping drama.
    I disagree on this point, only because auto-group is limited to In-progress quests, with no ability to pre-form the group.

In that regard, there is no opportunity to travel together to the quest like a normal LFM allows. Thus the Teleport is not a perk, but a necessity to make auto-grouping feasible at all.

For normal LFM, since you can pre-form the group without being anywhere near the quest (Unlike Auto group which requires the starter of the group to actually be in the quest to put up) there is too much abuse to just put up an LFM and then port yourself to the quest you want to go to.

Lightbulb

The grouping tool works great so keep expanding on it! And teleporting instantly to your party through the LFM? Aye!

Picking quests, finding quest starts, finding bestowers, knowing chains, etc., is the biggest obstacle/chore for newbies/everyone. This is a good step forward in making easier it sounds like.

Thumbs up

To me this new system seems truly promising. And while it perhaps isn't the best way for newbies to find a group it certainly will lower the threshold to create or join a pug for the timid.

I apologize if this has already been brought up for I got lazy after reading 10 pages :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Phax View Post
    - Quests will most likely not be auto-shared, but players will get a warning if they are not on the correct chapter/goal.
    This may become frustrating for leaders, since regardless of the warning people can join and ask for a share. It's definetly not fun to dig up the share tab 5 times...
    There's 2 solutions that comes to my mind:

- Make having been bestowed the quest a requirement.
    This would force the new players to find the quest giver and see the world but sadly also prevents people to join on a whim which is probadly one goal of this system.

or

- Give the leader a share tab next to the public notification.
    This would make it much easier rather than having to click and scroll many times.
    And there should be a warning too if a quest cannot be shared to you if e.g. it's part of a chain.
    Mirane ~ The Lazy Acrobat, Officer of Fellowship of the Shrine
    Ariadn ~ Clueless Servant of the Undying Court
    Helyenne ~ Fiddling Minstrel of Ignornance
    Kalmain ~ Normal Warforged Archmage with the necessary Grease spell

Default Lfm Teleport

Every time I clicked on one it said Telepotration temproaraly disabled and I never get teleported.

Community Member

Just get rid of autogrouping, really who does not want to filter members?
    And for Slayer just klick accept doing that wont hurt and give lead to whoever is not afk :P
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314