Default Turbine will not transfer characters from one account to another.

I was curious why Turbine does not allow people to move Toons from one account to another? I didn't find any forum posts that had brought this up so I decided to ask myself.

Is this a security issue, or techinical one?

Quote Originally Posted by kkoenig View Post
    I was curious why Turbine does not allow people to move Toons from one account to another? I didn't find any forum posts that had brought this up so I decided to ask myself.

Is this a security issue, or techinical one?

so people dont "Sell" their characters most likely.
    I cant think of any game that would allow such an awesome tool for Plat farmers.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

I think EQ2 allows for such, but both accounts must use the same credit card, and you must be a subscriber on both accounts (gold aka ViP) on both accounts for some set time period.

I think. I know a character transfer, server to server, you must be gold for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    I cant think of any game that would allow such an awesome tool for Plat farmers.
    They could do that in an in-game trade. Or just sell the whole account. I generally run two toons at the same time and would love to be able to move one of the toons over. Both the accounts use the same credit card and email address.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    I think EQ2 allows for such, but both accounts must use the same credit card, and you must be a subscriber on both accounts (gold aka ViP) on both accounts for some set time period.

I think. I know a character transfer, server to server, you must be gold for a month.
    I would meet the requirements for EQ2. :-) Was hoping Turbine would weigh in on this question.

Quote Originally Posted by kkoenig View Post
    I would meet the requirements for EQ2. :-) Was hoping Turbine would weigh in on this question.
    I would suspect its technical. But it could also be financial. I wouldn't mind moving one of my high favor toons to a new account. Would give me 32 points builds, drow, arti (potentialy), favored soul, vetran I and II automatically.

Vordax

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

I know many people who would love a feature like this. If both accounts are yours, there is no non-technical reason this should not be possible.

Keep in mind that "Bound To Account" is a relatively new concept in DDO. For longer than not, it was more beneficial to have characters on different accounts. Other than $15/month* there was no reason to keep all your characters on the same account and it just locked you out from loot running them together... There was a huge shift when BTA became such a big part of the game but the characters are stuck on the accounts they were in.

This could be a premium service like the character undelete. The cost of it would easily cover any in-game advantages such as getting higher favor or whatever else could be considered 'beneficial'

*Not playing down that this is a 'big reason'

Quote Originally Posted by Qzipoun View Post
    I know many people who would love a feature like this. If both accounts are yours, there is no non-technical reason this should not be possible.

Keep in mind that "Bound To Account" is a relatively new concept in DDO. For longer than not, it was more beneficial to have characters on different accounts. Other than $15/month* there was no reason to keep all your characters on the same account and it just locked you out from loot running them together... There was a huge shift when BTA became such a big part of the game but the characters are stuck on the accounts they were in.

This could be a premium service like the character undelete. The cost of it would easily cover any in-game advantages such as getting higher favor or whatever else could be considered 'beneficial'

*Not playing down that this is a 'big reason'
    Good points on Favor, and bound to account items. Although I have already attained unlocked the favor on the 2nd account. Really just wanted to TR two of the Toons at the same time so their EXP level matched up, before I started the grind. I can do this with a new Toon but would probably end up holding up the other Toon from leveling. :-(

A game I used to play wholeheartedly allowed character transfers between accounts for some fee, perhaps $10 (I never made use of it myself, just estimating). Of course this was frequently used for character sales, and they even went as far as to absolutely forbid any discussion of character sales on their official forums... but it happened. This was also a game where RP was an actual element, unlike the overwhelming majority of DDO. I don't know if Turbine does or doesn't allow it, or what their reasons are, but I would be surprised if they don't. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    A game I used to play wholeheartedly allowed character transfers between accounts for some fee, perhaps $10 (I never made use of it myself, just estimating). Of course this was frequently used for character sales, and they even went as far as to absolutely forbid any discussion of character sales on their official forums... but it happened. This was also a game where RP was an actual element, unlike the overwhelming majority of DDO. I don't know if Turbine does or doesn't allow it, or what their reasons are, but I would be surprised if they don't. Why not?
    I noticed noticed this in the World Transfer info. I named the quote after the line I found in the FAQ. I was hoping that Turbine would weigh in on a definit answer. I guess I can only hope.

Could somebody from Turbine weigh in on why this policy is in place. Or if the currently policy is set in stone or under review to be changed down the road?

Customer Service Representative

We aren't able to transfer characters between account at this time. If the service does become available, we will make an announcement to let everyone know.
    DDO Support Page & Knowledge Base
    To request support from a Customer Service Agent, simply click on "Submit a Ticket"
    English Account/Store Support is available from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm, Monday through Friday (GMT -5). 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Contact us on Twitter @DDOUnlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    Of course this was frequently used for character sales, and they even went as far as to absolutely forbid any discussion of character sales on their official forums...
    They went this far?! That's shocking.

EVE Online offers this service, players sell top end characters all the time. If you've got a character with millions of skill points it can be worth quite a bit.

Also I'm sure WoW does this too?
    Leader - Ωmega Syndicate [L41] guild of Khyber|Orien - www.os.rumbaar.net
    Khyber - Eldraine - Monk | Eldaline - Favored Soul | Eldnuker - Sorcerer
    █████ - Eldalorne - Wizard | Elarawr - Fighter | Eldrainge - Ranger/Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by daVoyd View Post
    We aren't able to transfer characters between account at this time. If the service does become available, we will make an announcement to let everyone know.
    Well atleast I got an answer. I was planning to TR a Toon, based on moving the character over. Hopefully this service will be available once I get board of GW2.

Still curious if this was a policy ot technical issue?

The wording makes it appear to be a technical issue, which is understandable.

True but they are able to move individual toons to other servers. Moving them to different accounts shouldn't be much more difficult. I suspect this is more of a process or policy issue. Probably need to lay something out to get this working.

Curious if on how they store the toons. Is it a Flatfile setup like Linux or are they all saved in a Database.
    Last edited by kkoenig; 04-16-2012 at 04:47 PM.

A year has gone by and this service still doesn't exist. They can world transfer, and undelete, but you still can't transfer a toon from one account to another. At $25 a pop you would think they would be all over this.