Default Simple and Useful Suggestions - Stats & DPS

I'm not sure how many times these have been suggested or if they have been at all, but here are a few simple suggestions that I think would be useful.

Spell Pen. - Short and simple: show the character's spell penetration in their character sheet. While requiring us to watch the dice is not by any means difficult... it is unecessary and my suggestion should be a simple addition that would make things more convenient.

Caster Levels - Show both the current max caster level and current actual caster level on the character sheet. There is a difference, and the current way that your caster level is shown (in combat log) is not the actual caster level affecting your spell damage. Mine currently says I'm casting at level 31, but through experimenting it is obvious that is not true as removing gear that increases my caster level does not affect my average damage output until I am below level 25 on my combat log. This would help clarify some game mechanics for newer players or those who don't fully understand how caster level and max caster level work. UPDATE: Because caster level varies with spells, gear, etc. it would be a better idea to include caster level on individual spell tooltips similar to the way a character checks their spell DCs. This was suggested by Brennie

DPS - I believe that the training dummy on guild ships should also be able to calculate a players dps output over the period of time that it takes them to destroy the dummy. Unfortunately rogues and any other character with sneak attack would not be able to see their true dps because, for the most part, training dummies are immune to sneak attack. "For the most part" because the occasional attack may bypass the dummy's fortification to allow for a sneak attack. An alternative to this would be to display the weapons' average DPS in the details section of the inventory. This would then allow for sneak attack to be included in the calculation.

Alternative for Previous Stat Suggestions - Rather than changing the character sheet, I think a possibly simpler solution to show spell pen, max caster level, and actual caster level would be to create a new text command such as /stats that would show a more in-depth description of a charater's stats.

Useful Suggestions by Others
    Doublestrike %: Show on character sheet or in a similar stat command or panel. Suggested by Durnak
    Threat +/-%: Show both the melee and ranged/spell threat generation increase/decrease due to gear, enhancements, etc. Suggested by oradafu
    Healing Amplification: Show a characters current healing amplification. Suggested by oradafu

Please add any similar suggestions you may have that relate to stat display and DPS measurements. I believe the above simple suggestions would help improve gameplay and convenience.
    Last edited by Sixclicks; 04-16-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    Sixclicks Fighter | Sixclickz Ice Savant | Sixcliks Pale Master | Sixclix Barbarian
    Nightstalkr Assassin | Warpocalypse Arcane Archer
    Member of The House of MANGAR

Community Member

agree to all... would really help out for all the players really... good suggestions Six

Agreed. I always wondered why we never had any actual spell penetration number that we could visibly see without a roll of the dice.

I like it...could be a side tab below the Bio too....just a thought
    --Fallen Immortals, Thelanis

Community Member

I agree in everything with you. Will be very valuable addition in info provided for all classes melee, arcane and divine. Very nice idea i salut you.

Add in there your % doublestrike chance as well.

/signed to it all
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Thanks for the replies, support, and suggestions.
    Sixclicks Fighter | Sixclickz Ice Savant | Sixcliks Pale Master | Sixclix Barbarian

Spell Pen - yes, this is a great suggestion

Caster Level - I'd rather see this on individual spell tooltips, similar to DCs. Caster level tends to change in a lopsided way depending on different factors (Abashi set which only affects evocation, or sorc PrEs that only affect specific elemental spells)

DPS - This, I am skeptical about. On a personal level, I would love to be able to tests various weapons, gear set-ups and whatnot to see what gives me the advantage in a real (rather than theoretical) numbers way. However, I'm concerned that readily available DPS calculations will end up being yet another bar players must pass before being "Acceptable" to certain groups, especially raids and epic PUGs, in the way that HPs and item-linking have.

Community Member

I'm cool with the Caster ones. Make it a side-tab on the Spells/Spellbook page. Make the average display on the sheet. Then there's a hover-over tooltip that breaks it down further (like AC, Saves and stats)

Across the top, you could have basic, useful stuff.
    Caster Level. Spell Penetration (Hover over to see a column numbered 1-9, and next to it your individual spell pens).
    Below that you have spell schools. Hover over to see DC per spell level.

Then a horizontal layout along the bottom with Damage rating, crit rating and crit damage layout for each element. Ex:

Element Name----Element Symbol-------Crit Rating------Crit Damage
    Acid * 150% Damage. 12% 1.5x
    Fire () 450% Damage. 24% 2.5x
    Hover over an element's damage value to see that same column 1-9, with damage values, DC and spell pen per spell level.
    Kinda like that.

Community Member

I completely agree that Spell Pen should be on the character sheet.

I'm on the fence about the Caster Level. I think Brennie explained why this should be added to the tooltips instead of character sheet, if it is added.

Personally, I don't like the DPS idea. It seems like too much work to me.

===

Some other things added to the Character Sheet I'd like to see are:
    * Healing Amp
    * Threat, which would have two columns: Melee +/- and Ranged/Spell -

Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    Caster Level - I'd rather see this on individual spell tooltips, similar to DCs. Caster level tends to change in a lopsided way depending on different factors (Abashi set which only affects evocation, or sorc PrEs that only affect specific elemental spells)
    I didn't think about this, so I agree with your suggestion. I guess a solid number on the character sheet wouldn't be possible due to caster level variations by spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    DPS - This, I am skeptical about. On a personal level, I would love to be able to tests various weapons, gear set-ups and whatnot to see what gives me the advantage in a real (rather than theoretical) numbers way. However, I'm concerned that readily available DPS calculations will end up being yet another bar players must pass before being "Acceptable" to certain groups, especially raids and epic PUGs, in the way that HPs and item-linking have.
    The DPS meter would be purely intended to measure your DPS for your own information, but I understand your concern that this could become a new benchmark for players to join groups. I wouldn't want the information to be posted anywhere for others to see unless the player consents to it being displayed. As DDO currently has no leaderboard system, I doubt it would be displayed anywhere anyway.

Spell Pen yes, Caster level maybe, DPS no.

DPS based on the training dummy is way too limited.

If they were ever going to us a way to measure our DPS, it would have a cover a lot more situations than a 100% fort construct. It's not just rogues that are impacted; it's any class than counts on crits for DPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member amethystdragon's Avatar

These suggestions sound like they could be useful. I really do like the added suggestion of having this type of information listed on a separate tab.
    Your complaint has been lodged, duly noted, and swiftly rejected.

Sometimes you just have to laugh, because everything else is illegal.