Default artificer healing

I just came back from the game after a hiatus. I've been playing my low level artificer. I have found that some groups expect me to be the main healer. Is this common?

My level 9 artificer was in a pug waiting for the group to fill up for an elite Delera's run. After it filled, I notice that me and the ranger are the only ones with a spell point bar. I figure no big deal, everyone probably can take care of themselves somehow.

So we get into part 1, and the leader says, "you got the heals, right?"

I say, "I can keep the rogue up no problem." (he was the only wf in the group)

He says, "what about everyone else?"

I say, "I got 80 csw wounds pots, wasn't expecting to use them on everyone else."

But I did, I slotted the spell at the first shrine, and after part 1 they were half gone. I tell them that I don't have much plat on this guy so if they want me to continue healing them, I was going to need some more pots, scrolls, wands, etc.

The leader says you have heal spells.

Yeah but they use cure potions as a spell component.

So after no donations were coming I left the group and soloed the rest of the thing with my dog lol.

Sorry bout getting long winded, but if you want a low level artificer to heal your group, you should at least ask them about it when they join.

Am I missing something here? Like I said I've been away from the game awhile.

No i don't think your missing anything, it seems obvious the people making the group didn't know what they were doing. You pot thing should be the main healing in the first place and to expect a repair caster to heal fleshy's seems far fetched even with the pot spells. If it was a group comprised of mainly WF then that would be a different story.

Anyways gl in game all, peace.
    Underdog- "Do not fear!! Underdog is here!!"
    Me- "Holy krap its a talking dog!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by cryptblitzer View Post
    No i don't think your missing anything, it seems obvious the people making the group didn't know what they were doing. You pot thing should be the main healing in the first place and to expect a repair caster to heal fleshy's seems far fetched even with the pot spells. If it was a group comprised of mainly WF then that would be a different story.

Anyways gl in game all, peace.
    The CSW pot thing is crazy effective, its just crazy expensive too. I typically hit our TR group for between 40-75 a shot which is more than enough til level 16.

Turbine should be smart enough to realize that ANY addtion to healing types in this game is a good thing as long as they are cheap.

Suggestions:

Make a special Admixture CSW spell component that is about a 1/3 of the price of a CSW pot but can't be used except as a spell.

Give Arties the following admixture lines:

1. Admixture casting speed
    2. Admixture life magic (like clerics)

If they wont help out maintaining your pot supply, then they dont want heals.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

yah, demanding parties are bad
    dump them and solo
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

At higher levels though it is a different story. Any artificer that made an investment in the Scroll Mastery line is a fantastic healer via curative admixtures and heal scrolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    I agree with the feathered marsupial.

@ OP I wold have dropped group and not bothered. Some people have no idea How much it cost for Arties to be nanny heal bot.
    Sleeps

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

I did a fair bit of healing on my artificer as I leveled with cure serious/critical wands and curative admixtures. It didn't bother me so much as I've got level 20 characters to provide funds. I only did it voluntarily though and would drop and solo if it was demanded/expected of me as well.

It's unreasonable for anyone to demand use of resources (of any class) without offer of recompense. On the other hand, it's fun to play a versatile class that can fill so many roles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzacoala View Post
    At higher levels though it is a different story. Any artificer that made an investment in the Scroll Mastery line is a fantastic healer via curative admixtures and heal scrolls.
    It's not just at higher levels. At low levels they are quite literally the best healers in the game. So Clerics and Favored Souls have larger SP pools to draw from. Are those pools 6x larger? Because they don't have mass cures at those levels, but Artys do.
    Artificers are the best low level healers in the game, period. They just need to know beforehand that they will be doing it, and have the funds to finance it, because as jkm said, it can get crazy expensive.
    My Arty has healed everything from at-level Chrono to Shroud when the *healer* DC'd on us in part 4. The Shroud wasn't pretty, but we completed.
    Last edited by Calebro; 04-08-2012 at 07:02 PM.

I would of been happy to supply you with all the pots you needed, but then again I got level 20's to fund my low level leveling up. If those guys couldnt afford it they shouldnt of just expected you to do it all on your own.

You made the right call leaving and soloing. Why group when its going to be much more expensive?

Thanks guys for the confirmation, figured it was just an overly demanding group. I too have a few level 20 characters, so I went ahead and stocked my artificer up to be ready to play healer in a pinch if needed. I am really enjoying the class very much, and figure I may as well start embracing all of the things that an artificer can bring to the group.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my artificers dps at end game won't be as amazing as it is low level, so I better learn my other trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that my artificers dps at end game won't be as amazing as it is low level, so I better learn my other trades.
    Fully buffed and geared, my Arty can start in on the training dummy with a blast from his runearm, and it's dead by the time I'm able to fire again. That makes it sub-six seconds to kill the dummy.
    DPS is fine at higher levels as long as you get the gear and keep yourself buffed. Add in the fact that you're kiting through Blade Barriers.... and your DPS is top tier.
    There are a few levels where your runearm isn't quite up to snuff yet, before you get BB. It's these few levels where DPS seems lacking. It isn't lacking. It just seems that way because of what you've grown accustomed to by that point.

I usually joined raids with my arti with the expectation of tossing heal scrolls. But while leveling??? sorry self healing only or getting people out of incap status.

yes I'm selfish, but my char uses both pots n wands, and that same character has plenty of melee lives being self sufficient (with two of those being completed consumable free w/o piking)

choice 1) spend a minute wanding up the unprepared fighter/barbarian
    choice 2) finish the quest in the same amount of time

I almost wish that arti's didnt have awesome wand/scrolling abilities. then I might be able to justify taking up a DPS role instead of nannying
    Shadowsteel [TR train wreck]

Community Member

I have encountered high level Arti's that don't even know that they can use Heal, Reconstruct & Raise Dead scrolls. Even worse is when they know they can use them, but don't even carry any.

If you don't even carry them for emergencies, then you are a detriment to the party.

I'm saying this as a player who has a 13th level Arti and an 18th level rogue who both carry a stack of Heal, Reconstruct and Raise Dead scrolls.
    Visit the DDO Wiki! Unique items: Quest Rewards - Raid Loot - Chest Loot - Item Sets
    DDO Store List, with references on how you can gain items ingame for free!

well if you were expected to be the main healer I wouild have donated to you either pots or cash or wands and if you dropped I might have dropped and tried to duo with ya

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMonk2 View Post
    I have encountered high level Arti's that don't even know that they can use Heal, Reconstruct & Raise Dead scrolls. Even worse is when they know they can use them, but don't even carry any.

If you don't even carry them for emergencies, then you are a detriment to the party.

I'm saying this as a player who has a 13th level Arti and an 18th level rogue who both carry a stack of Heal, Reconstruct and Raise Dead scrolls.
    Yah I have grouped with a couple of arties like that as well of course they were much in the way of trap monkeys either and when I asked they said they were stictly dps.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

my policy: if i'm going to drink a potion anyways, i'll generally just smash it on the ground. anyone near me can enjoy the healing, anyone not near is not my problem. i'm not going to heal anyone through anything other than possibly a raid where scroll-healing is needed for efficiency, but if the heals i throw down for myself happen to be enough to keep you alive, i'm more than happy to lend a hand. heck, if i see that you're down a few while we're running between fights, i may throw a potion even if i'm only a little bit injured.

but frankly, if you need a nannybot to get you through deleras, then you got yourself the wrong person to do that for you. i'll let you die, grab your soulstone, and run through the quest. i'll drop you off at raise shrines, kill all the mobs, disarm all the chests, and pick all the locks, and all i *really* need you for is to step on the platform at the right time in part 2 to open the underwater gates (yes, i've heard there's a way to get hirelings to do it. practice has shown that attempting to get my hireling to cooperate typically only makes me angry, and doesn't open any gates).

but if you're taking damage so fast that you can't keep your own gimped behind alive using potions (edit: in deleras) as a general rule, no way am i going to spend all my SP and plat on keeping you alive when i can run the quest faster and cheaper with your soul stone in my inventory.

healers are nice for emergencies, and in an emergency i'll try to give you a hand in whatever way i personally consider reasonable... just so long as the "emergency" isn't "you entered the quest when you really shouldn't have".

just because i can heal reasonably well (or, at low levels, even if i can mass heal better than anyone else) doesn't mean every character is worth the healing.

The ranger and rogue should have been pitching in on the healing as far as wands go. Wands are easy to get for free just with collectibles and would work almost as well for the rogue as the artificer using UMD.

Artificers have pretty decent healing between admixtures, wand and scroll mastery, and repair spells for WF. Scroll healing in some raids is rather popular, can be very effective, and is something no other class can do as well as artificers.

I'm unsure what the rest of your party was doing if you went thru 80 CSW pots in admixtures on Delera's, however. Some self healing between combat is something I normally expect from others especially at lower levels and wand healing can cover the entire chain. That sounded like the healing needs were a bit excessive, even if it was elite.

Sounds like the group was missing something on how they were interacting with your ability to heal them.

I rarely slot the adamixture spells. But then I also took construct essence and am soloing my arty most of the time. Although I did end up as primary healer for a Delera run. The party was myself and two melee guys (plus my dog). So I was using cureitive adamixture spells offensively, and happened to be healing too.
    Finding ones past, present, and future in the threads of destiny.