Community Member

Default Returning player, downgraded to freemium... how best to get to 20+TR w/ free quests?

Hi all,

I last played DDO in 2007/2008, and returned to find my 28-point Rogue7/Fighter1 dual wielder right where I'd left him! My current plan is to continue playing him in free mode, without buying any adventure packs or the like, get him up to 20 and TR him (which after the expansion will require leveling to 25, I assume?), and then subscribe and level my 34-point build on the full spectrum of the game's content.

How doable is this? I don't care about being uber, just care about surviving to get to 20 and do that TR. If there are one-time purchases I need from the shop to make this happen (tree heart) I'm fine with that, main thing is I want to wait until I remort to experience the game's full content.

The ideal thing for me would be an explicit guide to which quests I should be doing at which levels to take a free player to level 20. I don't have a lot of spare time to play, and the 'wander around and see where my adventures take me' approach is something I'll have fun with once I remort and resub, not right now.

Will the fact that my character was created pre-F2P make any differences in terms of gating, etc.?

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

You can absolutely level someone to 20, TR and then get back to 20 again with just F2P content.

I think that leveling would be much easier if you eventually pick up a couple of specific expansion packs which you can get with the free points that you acquire through favor as well as the free points that you get from getting to 100 favor for the first time on each server.

If you go on each server, there are fairly often some LFMs available for Korthos quests on Elite. If you join those LFMs, you'll get to 100 favor fairly quickly and pick up a decent amount of favor from each server.

I strongly recommend that you pick up the Vale of Twilight as your first pack since so very much XP and good loot is available in that pack. If there is any "must have" pack in DDO, that one is it. I would be very surprised if the Vale of Twilight's value as a pack decreases at all even after the expansion. It still has the single most often run raid in the game and the weapons that most people use in all of the other raids in the game tend to come from that one raid (Shroud).

Also, even after the new expansion is released, the developers have said that a TR will still take place at 20. The extra 5 levels will have at least somewhat different leveling mechanics.

Community Member

Sounds good. I guess it just feels like it would be a waste to buy adventure packs, since I intend to sub eventually anyhow after I TR. Will probably make a 34-point artificer...

Are there Free-content 1-20 leveling guides out there?

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Televangelist View Post
    Sounds good. I guess it just feels like it would be a waste to buy adventure packs, since I intend to sub eventually anyhow after I TR. Will probably make a 34-point artificer...

Are there Free-content 1-20 leveling guides out there?
    With the larger bonuses for the first time you enter a quest on Normal/Hard/Elite and the extra XP that comes from a variety of other bonuses in quests as well as the additional F2P quests that have been introduced since you've been gone, leveling to 20 and even getting back to 20 again on a TR isn't the overwhelming task that it once was.

If you decide to stick with just the free quests so that you can save your points for the few things that you don't get for free as a VIP (Artificer in particular), then you can still pick up free DDO points fairly fast by running to 100 favor once on each server.

If I remember later today or tomorrow, I'll list out all of the F2P chains and quests so that you can see what is available.

Community Member

If you plan on subbing again anyway and are just putting it off. Being a bit more flexable in when you do it would probably be the most palatable way to go. Just level as far as you can off the free stuff without getting so sick of repeating the same few quests over and over that you want to puke and then take the plunge to VIP. Having done the whole F2P to the cap thing personally. To make playing the game actually fun and not a 100 favor grind job it took me nearly 2 years of play various characters on various servers to accumulate enough content to cap while enjoying the process. Things are easier now, but I still wouldn't spend a couple weeks in hell just to put off resubing for a week or so as more content means both more varied as well as faster and potentially much faster leveling.

You should be able to get to about level 17 or 18 if you milk the f2p content out before things get really bad.

The nice thing about your plan is that now you can even obtain a True Heart of Wood without owning any packs or paying a dime.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    I agree with the feathered marsupial.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    If I remember later today or tomorrow, I'll list out all of the F2P chains and quests so that you can see what is available.
    That would be perfect. I might resub a bit early to open up the late game, but if I'm missing something and I don't know it that becomes tricky.

Community Member

Smile Another source of xp

if you get bored of repeating f2p quests (or can't find anything to solo), pickup a free challenge token (in house C) and try one. 1 token per try. New token everyday. Just a warning that they are semi-hard to do. You get xp for completion (not great xp but it's a good constant source of it).

This lists the F2P quests http://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Free_to_Play
    112 quests 1241 favor

Sleeps

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepsalot View Post
    This lists the F2P quests http://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Free_to_Play
    112 quests 1241 favor

Sleeps
    Very helpful! Is there a set pattern to what level the hard/elite versions of a quest are tuned at?

Also, is there an established means of getting into free-player groups? Or do I just have to spam general chat?

Most time you can post a LFM for the quest you want to Run. You can pick any thing from Casual to elite Difficulty. Most time if I am running a quest for the first at level I do normal so I can learn the quest.. I don't group a lot most time is me and a hireling. the base quest level is on normal and hard adds 1 level to the difficulty elite adds 2 levels. Depending on the group usually. I run some quest My level higher then the quest level. And most I still run Hard, Elite, Normal get more XP that way.. Some others do it different.. Not sure what server you are on I am on Thelanis I have toons from level 4-18 on my ViP account and 1-4 on my free account. Also I like to take it slow most times I don't like to Rush..
    Sleeps
    BTW:: Welcome back to the game

Quote Originally Posted by Televangelist View Post
    Very helpful! Is there a set pattern to what level the hard/elite versions of a quest are tuned at?

Also, is there an established means of getting into free-player groups? Or do I just have to spam general chat?

Community Member

If you are planning to buy the expansion, I would suggest pre-ordering the middle tier now and using the immediate features to get this character to 20. The extra $20 gets you the Greater Tome of Learning, several higher-level adventure packs, and 1000 points you can use to buy Vale.

Hello!

I'm not sure if you were VIP before. However, if you were, and you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend this thread:

A Guide to Converting from VIP to Premium

It has a terrific breakdown of the TP costs for some of the most desired VIP-granted perks.
    PLEASE FIX LAG. PLEASE FIX BUGS.