Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Founder Ahnya_DLucien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ghallanda
    Posts
    348

    Default Ye Olde Suggestion Box

    First, my long background explanation. Followed by, my actual suggestion

    I used to read/post on the forums often, years ago.
    Eventually, I got so fed up, I quit coming to read the forums altogether.
    Currently, I have been tentatively, occasionally reading the forums.
    A friend of mine posted a suggestion thread recently that, of course, had a lot of negative responses. This is ridiculously typical.

    This is one of the reasons I stopped reading the forums altogether.

    I can not stand the crappy attitudes a large percentage of posters have, especially when it comes to people making suggestions. Responders frequently respond as if they have not even read whatever the suggestion is. Responses are almost always negative.
    I have seen, in the past, people post a suggestion that gets shot down by almost all of the responders, and a bit later someone else posts an opposing suggestion that also gets shot down by the same responders.

    It has made me believe that the majority of forum posters are simply trolls. They cant be happy with anything at all.

    So, that all said...

    My suggestion is essentially an anonymous 'suggestion box'. Basically, a way to anonymously (non-PMing) make your suggestion to be read by the devs.
    I think it would be best to have a form-ish type of thing, so the poster makes their suggestion and then explains their reasoning.

    Why?

    Because, then posters can make their suggestion freely - without all the ridiculously, trollish responses - and the devs can read the actual information, instead of needing to wade through the garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    le sigh
    RESULTS BREAKDOWN: E.S.A.K.
    Explorer: 80%, Socializer: 67%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

  2. #2
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    If a person cannot weather some criticism, or are afraid to post an idea due to fear of said criticism, then they must not believe strongly in the idea. Often some legitimate downsides of an idea comes from the "garbage" and "trolling"of people who don't agree with the OP, and it's a good thing for the Devs to read alongside the idea itself and those who only chime in with "/signed".



    I disagree with your idea wholeheartedly. This is a public form, and there is no need for anonymity, particularly when pitching an idea that may change the game. Have the courage and internal fortitude to stand behind an idea, or don't post it, imho.
    53461

  3. #3
    Community Member ssgcmwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    481

    Default

    While I agree with the OP that there seem to be many in these forums who exist primarily to troll, I don't think the proposal is sound. I believe the amount of signal (good ideas) to noise (bad ideas, repeats of good ideas, complaints, trolling, etc) would make the program a major headache for any devs who had to sift through it all. At least here on the forums there's some (albeit very imperfect) crowd-sourcing of the quality control.

    Playing on the OP's idea though - it might be wise for the devs to find some people whose comments they find helpful/insightful and give them a direct line to the dev's ear. I imagine it would be an NDA type of thing similar to Mournlands so we don't have people saying "Tolero told me last week...."
    UDR Loot Rules:
    1) No griefing people for pulling loot that dropped in their name
    2) When rolling, classes for which the item is "useful" get +10 to the roll
    example: Wiz and Barb both roll on a Torc, the barb saying "I'm TRing into an arcane next week"
    Wiz gets +10 on his roll

  4. #4
    Founder Ahnya_DLucien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ghallanda
    Posts
    348

    Default

    I understand your point, Memnir, but if you consider through the years how many suggestions thread yo have read where responders completely ignore what is being said in the original posters' post... or the quantity of bs, completely non-thought-out responses, or just posts to stir up drama...
    im not asking for /signed only threads - thats just ****. im simply asking for a way for people's ideas to truly be heard instead of getting lost in the drama/garbage that follows.
    yes, its a free, open-ish forum. however, that doesnt mean that all of the good ideas are being heard because of negativity. it doesnt so much suggest a lack of fortitude, but a sense of knowing that a large populace is going to clog up a thread with distraction.
    .....

    ssgcmwatson - yes, you are right, it could be a major headache to sift through all of the ideas, but is that really so different from what it is now?
    i understand where you are coming from with your suggestion of select posters ideas being streamlined to the devs, but i dont agree with it at all. there are a few rather vocal and popular posters that i, personally, wouldnt want having their ideas streamlined straight to the devs. also, it would sort of guarantee that only a select few would be heard.
    sometimes, the best ideas come from the quieter underdogs.

    .....

    yes, my idea isnt the "awesomest idea ever" but, if you were a dev, would you really want to spend all of your time reading the ridiculous commentaries that come along after a proposed idea all of the time? i sure wouldnt.
    i quit reading the forums altogether for years, because i was/am sick of the same ridiculous responses, the same flaming negativity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    le sigh
    RESULTS BREAKDOWN: E.S.A.K.
    Explorer: 80%, Socializer: 67%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

  5. #5

    Default

    1. we are already anonymous here if we choose to be. No one forces anyone to publicly announce who they are in real life or in game for that matter.

    2. An idea getting shot down by other forum members would have absolutely no bearing on whether a dev reads it or not. As a Matter of fact, a discussion getting heated generally makes it MORE likely that it will get read by a dev.

    3. This is the internet. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As much as someone has a right to share a suggestions, others have a right to not like it.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

    Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

  6. #6
    Community Member Cyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,571

    Default

    /not signed

    If you believe in a suggestion you should be willing to have your name associated with it.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

  7. #7
    Founder Ahnya_DLucien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ghallanda
    Posts
    348

    Default

    i have never suggested that people didn't have the right to voice their opinion.

    .....

    this isnt about an unwillingness to be associated with your own idea, LOL!

    this is about the trollish attitudes of many posters.
    /signed

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    le sigh
    RESULTS BREAKDOWN: E.S.A.K.
    Explorer: 80%, Socializer: 67%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

  8. #8
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Give us a link to your friend's suggestion thread, please.

    If almost everyone in a thread shoots down an idea, it's probably a bad idea. Did no one explain why they disagreed? I find that many people on these boards are good at explaining their reasoning.

    I don't find most people on these boards to be trolls at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  9. #9
    Founder Ahnya_DLucien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ghallanda
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Sorry, I won't be posting a link to their thread, because I didnt come in here to post this for the sake of my friends suggestion thread.

    I mentioned my friends thread at all as a basis of explaining where I am coming from. It is just one of so many situations of what I am referring to.

    Yes, it is harsh to state that many people in the forum have troll-ish behavior. However, it is the conclusion I have drawn from seeing the same repeats in behavior.
    Unless it is free dessert for everyone, people will find fault in everyone's suggested ideas - and then people would argue about the types of dessert offered. That has been my experience reading suggestion threads in this forum.

    Thank you all for your time. May as well let this thread die now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    le sigh
    RESULTS BREAKDOWN: E.S.A.K.
    Explorer: 80%, Socializer: 67%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

  10. #10
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahnya_DLucien View Post
    but if you consider through the years how many suggestions thread yo have read where responders completely ignore what is being said in the original posters' post... or the quantity of bs, completely non-thought-out responses, or just posts to stir up drama..
    The only times that has happened is when either the idea itself deserves the "trolling", or when the person posting the idea provokes it. I've never seen people troll an idea just for the hell of it. Most ideas are met more with apathy or a near total lack of responses then any kind of negative reply just to stir up drama.

    I have trouble believing your friends' thread ran afoul of such behavior, because it'd be very aberrant for this sub-forum - beyond the very rare exception.
    53461

  11. #11
    Founder Ahnya_DLucien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ghallanda
    Posts
    348

    Default

    then i suppose you missed it. it does exist, it exists enough that it is a serious pet peeve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    le sigh
    RESULTS BREAKDOWN: E.S.A.K.
    Explorer: 80%, Socializer: 67%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

  12. #12
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    The only times that has happened is when either the idea itself deserves the "trolling", or when the person posting the idea provokes it. I've never seen people troll an idea just for the hell of it. Most ideas are met more with apathy or a near total lack of responses then any kind of negative reply just to stir up drama.

    I have trouble believing your friends' thread ran afoul of such behavior, because it'd be very aberrant for this sub-forum - beyond the very rare exception.
    What? Ive seen quite a few sheer quantity based pile ons based simply on disagreements concerning opinions, complete with accusations of lack of knowledge, reading comprehension, and math skills. Disagreement =/= deserving "teh trolololols"
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  13. #13
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    What? Ive seen quite a few sheer quantity based pile ons based simply on disagreements concerning opinions, complete with accusations of lack of knowledge, reading comprehension, and math skills. Disagreement =/= deserving "teh trolololols"
    I'm not saying it never happens - just that it's the exception for this sub-forum, not the rule. Rare enough to be notable when it does happen, imho.
    53461

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload