Thread: Premium and VIP

Default Premium and VIP

I'm a little confused as to what the difference is between Premium and VIP.

Searching the forum wasn't very helpful, so I was wondering if anyone would mind telling me what each one involves and what you get with it?

Thanks.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

This breaks it down quite a bit did you have more questions beyond what is listed here?

http://www.ddo.com/vip

Wink The Difference is

The difference between the two are Vip pays a monthly $15 , quarterly $30 or yearly $100.
    We get 500 tp points each month.
    Shared bank, items and coin bank.
    10 character slots
    All content except the summer expansion.
    Premium has spent real money for any amount of turbine points.
    4 character slots then has to buy all content and extras like the shared item bank and coin.
    Vip gets Warforged race and Monk class with the summer expansion include druid with that.
    Premium has to buy them with tp.
    Vip has to unlock some things with favor or buy them with tp.
    Favored Soul (2500 favor), Drow (400 favor), Artificer (not sure).
    32 point build (1750 favor), level 4 vet start (1000 favor) and level 7 vet start 2 (3000 favor)
    Vip can post 50 auctions per character and hold up to 4,290,000 plat.
    Not sure about Premium.
    All types including free can do the favor unlock.

Hope this helps.
    Me I am a yearly Vip and it equals to be $8.33 a month.
    I think if you buy 500 tp a month that would cost you $8.
    So in my book a game I love to play, costs me 33 cents a month to play.
    Not all who wander are lost. I am not lost, I am just exploring.
    Smigit F25 (Leg Dread 5), Xappit w20 (tr), Tamix C20,Smigitjr Tmp R 22, Tamik 14 P (3rd life,) , Xsong bard 20, Smigit5 arti 21, Xappet 20 AA, Smigit6 D22 (fw2), Tamok Fvs 20 Smoxfeat monk 16 Taggem Wf Pally 14 others. Leader Circle of Destruction Argonnessen

That site explains 99%, thanks.

Just one question; if you access something with VIP and then later cancel your subscription you no longer have access to that thing, but if you buy it with points on Premium you have it to keep forever (or as long as DDO lasts lol)?

Do people find it more cost effective to use VIP or to just purchase what they want specifically?

Thanks for the answers.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by theblackwolf View Post
    That site explains 99%, thanks.

Just one question; if you access something with VIP and then later cancel your subscription you no longer have access to that thing, but if you buy it with points on Premium you have it to keep forever (or as long as DDO lasts lol)?
    Yes.

Do people find it more cost effective to use VIP or to just purchase what they want specifically?
    That depends on individuals, and what they value. Most folks on the forum like to advocate Premium as being cheaper in the long run. What they leave out is also the patience needed to wait for sales on point bundles, sales on items they want (e.g. adventure packs/races etcs). Personally I come to DDO to have fun and not micromanage my money to squeeze out each cent, I want to run what I want on whichever character I want anytime and maybe on Hard or Elite. If you don't mind waiting, likes the best value for money deal, don't mind grinding on each server for extra TP, keep a constant watch over sales, keep TRs for hard/elite open or ask other players for help then Premium would suit you better.
    Thanks for the answers.
    Answers in red.

Quote Originally Posted by learst View Post
    Answers in red.
    Thanks. What are TRs, again (I need to find a post where all the lingo is explained XD)? And do some quests require you to pay to open Hard/Elite?

If you are new:

1) Try the game as a ftp if you really enjoy it buy some Turbine Points to get to premium status

2) You should spend TP mostly on adventure packs which are the core of the game experience, the must have pack is called "The Vale of Twilight". Put that on top of your list

3) You should go vip if you are really excited to experience all the game content and own all the privileges it gives, but i'd suggest to buy vip after you are more experienced with the game and its mechanics. Also, on a first life toon you will hardly feel the need of the vip perks honestly at the current state of the game.

4) Use ddowiki.com, that's the best source of informations for this game.

Have fun
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by theblackwolf View Post
    Thanks. What are TRs, again (I need to find a post where all the lingo is explained XD)? And do some quests require you to pay to open Hard/Elite?
    TR is true reincarnation - which is what you see charactes with little "wings" besides their names.
    ddowiki.com/page/True_Reincarnation#True_Reincarnation

Once your character reaches lvl 20, there are two options - continue to sit at 20 and play endgame content or reincarnate/TR as a lvl 1. You have more attribute points to start (34), a passive past life feat and choice of an active past life feat.

You also has at your disposal all the accumulated gear - weapons, armour, tomes etc. Some of these items might have minimum lvl requirements, e.g. Greensteel at lvl 12. Greensteel are craftable items from the Shroud raid which are run around lvl 16-20. In other words, you get access to many powerful items at a lower level, and this is apparent when you join groups and you notice why some players can breeze through mobs or dungeons effortlessly while you struggle as a new player.

However, the cost of a TR is they need more experience than normal characters to level up - and this is another reason you see certain LFM (look for more) in the social panel says things like, "know quests/don't die/zerging/in progress" etc cos they want to maximise the amount of XP gained in the shortest period of time, i.e. xp/min.

Turbine has implemented a recent change to create some sort of challenge for TRs, which is the bravery bonus and that TRs can open hard automatically on their first TR life, and elite on their second TR life. For normal characters, this perk is only available to VIP players.

If you're playing a regular character, you'll need to have other players or even have a TR to "open" a quest on hard/elite for you. The only other option is to purchase a Hard/Elite unlock from the DDOstore, but this are a once-use per dungeon only. The store purchase is kinda useful If you solo a lot on a non-TR and want to play Hard/Elite, and don't want to wait for others to help you open Hard/Elite.

There is no quest in the game that requires you to run it on hard or elite. There is 4 options - casual, normal, hard, elite. Most folks like to run it on hard or elite for better loot or more XP (the bravery bonus).

There is probably a post somewhere that explains the lingo and shortforms used, unfortunately I don't really remember it. Again, I think the cost of Premium vs VIP basically boils down to time vs money. However, there is probably a small minority of folks who have a lot of money to spend but hates paying monthly so they just spend loads as premium buying everything they need from the store.

Thanks for the info!

I don't have a lot of money, so it looks like buying what I can afford from the store will be the best option.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

There are plenty of resources out there for your situation. I will add that if you will stay f2p or go premium, you might want to take a listen to DDOcast for the "premium Perspective" segments and it will provide some insight for you.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Community Member

Angry i didn't receive the 500tp

Quote Originally Posted by chance2000 View Post
    The difference between the two are Vip pays a monthly $15 , quarterly $30 or yearly $100.
    We get 500 tp points each month.
    Shared bank, items and coin bank.
    10 character slots
    All content except the summer expansion.
    Premium has spent real money for any amount of turbine points.
    4 character slots then has to buy all content and extras like the shared item bank and coin.
    Vip gets Warforged race and Monk class with the summer expansion include druid with that.
    Premium has to buy them with tp.
    Vip has to unlock some things with favor or buy them with tp.
    Favored Soul (2500 favor), Drow (400 favor), Artificer (not sure).
    32 point build (1750 favor), level 4 vet start (1000 favor) and level 7 vet start 2 (3000 favor)
    Vip can post 50 auctions per character and hold up to 4,290,000 plat.
    Not sure about Premium.
    All types including free can do the favor unlock.

Hope this helps.
    Me I am a yearly Vip and it equals to be $8.33 a month.
    I think if you buy 500 tp a month that would cost you $8.
    So in my book a game I love to play, costs me 33 cents a month to play.
    someone knows how i can receive the 500 turbine points??
    i made my vip accont on may/06 and there aren't in my account.

tnx in advance guys

Quote Originally Posted by decker_uy View Post
    someone knows how i can receive the 500 turbine points??
    i made my vip accont on may/06 and there aren't in my account.

tnx in advance guys
    Sometimes it requires more time than usual to get your TP.

You could try the turbine support site, have a peek: http://support.turbine.com/ics/suppo...?style=classic

You are welcome, yes.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this