Community Member

Default Basic melee builds?

what are some basic melee builds available to a first time player? I have a few in mind, but I know there are more experienced players on the boards Just need a few basic builds for 2hand and TWF to help my gf get started

Pure Barb...

Max STR...the rest into CON. Tell her to use rage.

Teach her how to use trip/cleave and sprint boost.

Power Attack, Cleave, Toughness, THF feats, Improved Crit Slashing, and Stunning Blow.
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Community Member

Barbs are pretty gear intensive and one of the least self sufficient classes in the game. Despite ease of play, I wouldn't suggest it to a newcomer.

The viability of a lot of builds depend on if you have 32 or 28 point builds, in my opinion.

A soul survivor(20 fvs greatsword wielder) can melee very efficiently in all content while being able to self heal and even raid/quest heal if necessary.

Monks have a variety of builds, lots of which are solid for first lives. Provided you build a half elf, you can throw heal scrolls for a good 250-400 depending on heal amp(which is innate to monks/helves) and neglect UMD all-together. This, along with 50-80 heal pots really makes for a survivable character.

Artificers aren't really melee, but they do attack via a crossbow, which I would consider "melee" opposed to spells. They're self-sufficient and very good in a group due to dealing with traps.

Tempest rangers have fallen out of the limelight, but are still great solo characters, however when it comes to raids and such they won't deal the dps of most other classes. Despite this, I personally feel first lives that aren't casters have no ability to deal dps of second or third lives anyways, so no point in bothering.

Fighters are great splashes and pures, I just don't have much opinion on them because I've never played them through.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlorifyQuC View Post
    Barbs are pretty gear intensive and one of the least self sufficient classes in the game. Despite ease of play, I wouldn't suggest it to a newcomer.

The viability of a lot of builds depend on if you have 32 or 28 point builds, in my opinion.

A soul survivor(20 fvs greatsword wielder) can melee very efficiently in all content while being able to self heal and even raid/quest heal if necessary.

Monks have a variety of builds, lots of which are solid for first lives. Provided you build a half elf, you can throw heal scrolls for a good 250-400 depending on heal amp(which is innate to monks/helves) and neglect UMD all-together. This, along with 50-80 heal pots really makes for a survivable character.

Artificers aren't really melee, but they do attack via a crossbow, which I would consider "melee" opposed to spells. They're self-sufficient and very good in a group due to dealing with traps.

Tempest rangers have fallen out of the limelight, but are still great solo characters, however when it comes to raids and such they won't deal the dps of most other classes. Despite this, I personally feel first lives that aren't casters have no ability to deal dps of second or third lives anyways, so no point in bothering.

Fighters are great splashes and pures, I just don't have much opinion on them because I've never played them through.
    :/ of that list, only the first and last two are playable F2P, which is a stipulation

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

tihocan's revisiting paths thread should still be one's first stop when shopping for solid builds, IMHO. Also have a look at my Tempest trapmonkey. For something a little different, I just posted the Shadow Princess; I also have a melee-focused ftr-wiz called the Wraith Blade (second post is 28-pt dwarf), though that one would be a lot more challenging for a newbie to play.

Fighter THF (two-handed fighting) is easy to build, and more forgiving and less gear intensive than a barbarian. Just build like a barbarian: max str, rest into con. You can get a lot of feats for improving your trip, stun, and sunder abilties, and an insane amount of feats will be left over to play with.

On top of that, you can get great bonuses towards our favorite weapons, like greatswords, mauls, or greataxes. And when you need to at lower levels, just slap on a bastard sword and a tower shield and tank up.

It's really a fool-proof build.

Gear intensive? Sorry any class can be gear intensive as each other to be the best but of the pure melee classes barbs can be by far the least and still be viable. I would say they are the easiest to start with two handed fighting is easier to get weapons for, 2 stats to worry about. Other classes including rangers need far more gear to compete. Yes you will be more reliant on others, rangers and pallies are far better in this area as you level but at end game your limited gear build will be more effective than a similar geared other melee build.
    Milacias of Kyber

Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

Community Member

THF or a TWF monk are pretty solid starters, but barbs require a lot more gear and are by far the least sustainable classes.

THF or a TWF monk are pretty solid starters, but barbs require a lot more gear and are by far the least sustainable classes.
    Would like to see that gear justification.
    Milacias of Kyber

Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

as a basic melee build for FTP players, id recommend

-Dwarven THF stalwart defender: can go greataxe or dwarven axe with shield, decent tactics dcs, doesnt need dex tomes (for two weapon fighting).

-Dwarven Barbarian: not many choices here, easy build if you follow the feat plan

-Human Ranger/Rogue/Fighter (18/1/1): self-sufficient, some ranged capabilities, can get trap skills and UMD, needs a bit of planning

Makkuroi: Caster TR (4th life: human FVS/Monk in progress)--Makkutank: Juggernaut copy (3rd life: WF Arti/Monk/Pal in progress)--Bringthem Backalive: Divine Caster, former main (2nd life: human lvl 24 FVS)--Makkuros - craftbot (human lvl 20 artificer)--

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tekkentroop View Post
    as a basic melee build for FTP players, id recommend

-Dwarven THF stalwart defender: can go greataxe or dwarven axe with shield, decent tactics dcs, doesnt need dex tomes (for two weapon fighting).

-Dwarven Barbarian: not many choices here, easy build if you follow the feat plan

-Human Ranger/Rogue/Fighter (18/1/1): self-sufficient, some ranged capabilities, can get trap skills and UMD, needs a bit of planning
    good suggestions. I'm not too sure what she wants to play, but I doubt she wants to play a she dwarf :P Likely she will want a human, elf or halfling. I'm gonna suggest 2hand instead of dual wield and hope she listens

ok we are talking a female player here so i think we have to take that into consideration. how many female players in game loving playing a barb? not many that i have come across.

Generally they love playing healers i have found do to their nature to help people. (thats why they also make great nurses)
    but it sounds like she likes to melee a bit and you say you are free to play.

my suggestion -battle cleric. 18 cleric/2 fighter. that way she can do both. great solo char as well as partying char. she can kick butt and still be able to heal.

other than that seems to me female players really seem to like the monk class. cant really say why but notice alot of them playing monks.

Quote Originally Posted by count_spicoli View Post
    ok we are talking a female player here so i think we have to take that into consideration. how many female players in game loving playing a barb? not many that i have come across.

Generally they love playing healers i have found do to their nature to help people. (thats why they also make great nurses)
    but it sounds like she likes to melee a bit and you say you are free to play.

my suggestion -battle cleric. 18 cleric/2 fighter. that way she can do both. great solo char as well as partying char. she can kick butt and still be able to heal.

other than that seems to me female players really seem to like the monk class. cant really say why but notice alot of them playing monks.
    Grats on having the most sexist comment in this thread!
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Community Member

Basic Melee Build? Well, if she's decided she wants a melee build, then that's pretty simple. Lemme see what I can cook up for you.

Human Fighter, True Neutral Female 28 Pt Build

Stats:
    Strength: 18
    Dexterity: 12
    Constitution: 15
    Intelligence: 8
    Wisdom: 8
    Charisma: 8

Feats: 19(7 levels, 11 fighter, 1 human)
    Level 1: Power Attack
    Human Bonus: Toughness
    Fighter Bonus: Two Handed Fighting

Level 2 Fighter Bonus: Weapon Focus: Slashing

Level 3: Toughness

Level 4 Fighter Bonus: Weapon Specialization: Slashing

Level 6: Toughness
    Fighter Bonus: Stunning Blow

Level 8 Fighter Bonus: Improved Critical: Slashing

Level 9: Toughness

Level 10 Fighter Bonus: Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 12: Greater Two Handed Fighting
    Fighter Bonus: Greater Weapon Specialization

Level 14 Fighter Bonus: Quick Draw

Level 15: Toughness

Level 16 Fighter Bonus: Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing

Level 18: Toughness
    Fighter Bonus: Superior Weapon Focus: Slashing

Level 20 Fighter Bonus: Improved Sunder

Skills: Two points in Tumble at character creation, the rest in Balance.

Fighter Enhancements:
    Fighter Haste Boost IV(10)
    Fighter Attack Boost III(6)
    Fighter Critical Accuracy III(6)
    Fighter Kensai III(8)
    Fighter Toughness II(3)
    Fighter Strength III(12)
    Fighter Weapon Mastery II(3)
    Fighter Weapon Alacrity(2)
    Kensai Specified Weapon III(3)
    Fighter Extra Action Boost I(2)
    55/80 AP spent

Human Enhancements:
    Human Versatility IV(10)
    Human Improved Recovery II(6)
    Human Adaptability Strength(2)
    Human Greater Adaptability Constitution(4)
    Racial Toughness II(3)
    80/80 AP spent

Weapon choices should be Falchion, Great Axe or Great Sword. Buy her some TP and get her Delera's Tomb so she can farm out a Carnifex. This will be good for her to wield until level 8, at which point a Cannith Crafted weapon, or randomly generated Burst of Maiming/Righteousness will be better. Alternatively, craft her a Green Steel Falchion blank. It will save her the frustration of making her first one herself. If you can convince her, doing 20 completions of Vault of Night nets her a good chance of getting the Sword of Shadows base item. This will be her weapon of destruction until she crafts her Lit II.

Try to get her some Mithral Full Plate in the +1, +2, +3, +4 and +5 flavorings. This will help her to maintain a decent AC during the low levels. Also make sure she's using her tactics feats like Trip and Stunning Blow. Mobs rarely make their save during these early times.

Barbs are pretty gear intensive
    Nah, not really. Barbs are easy to gear out and play. Easier than a Fighter.
    Khyber:Greenberry, Jemric, Qashta, Leuk, Thurradal + many others

It all depends on if your GF has somebody to be healing him/her or if they want to be fairly self-sufficient. If they have a nanny and can be free to take as much damage as they want, then a pure THF barb is about as straightforward as it goes. Max str, rest into con, human or dwarf, rage, attack.

If you want to add just a *bit* of flare to it though, and make your GF a bit more survivable, a bard might be right up her alley. Bards are great because in the hands of an expert player, they are outstanding, but in the hands of a noob, they're still really good.

Have her make a human 18 bard 2 fighter. 1 bard level to start, then 1 fighter level and one more fighter level later down the road, maybe around level 10 or so. Teach her to sing inspire courage as the first thing she does when you guys enter a dungeon and she'll easily earn her keep :P As she learns more about how to play she can do some healing and buffing and maybe fascinate.

Starting as a human go 16 str, 16 con, 14 cha, 10 int.
    Feats: THFx3, IC, Power Attack, Toughness, weapon focus slash, extend, quicken, maximize
    Skills: UMD, Perform, Haggle, Concentration, Jump, Balance
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Community Member

Default Basic barbarian:

Basic barbarian THF. I would suggest dumping dexterity and bumping CON up one more point, but there is little wrong with this build. Also would suggest going human if half-orc is unavailable (having human improved recovery, stunning blow AND toughness FTW).

Some details to play with: you can take stunning blow anytime you want, and simply shift the two handed fighting along as well. Toughness can be taken later, but is probably a good idea for new players to take it early.

I wouldn't be too worried about gear requirements (I suspect forumites are terrified they might get caught without every last piece of healing amp gear). Beginner-level gear is easy for a barbarian to accumulate. This is one of the reasons to avoid TWF (two weapons are twice as expensive as one), the other is the need to "waste" build points on dexterity and then cough up for a dexterity tome. While tomes have come way down in price, I don't expect a first life player to be able to buy a +2 tome.

Well for basic melee (id decide if you wanted to go 2 handed or 2 weapon) would be a fighter. Mainly because you really can't screw up a fighter. It can be near anything. It can even be self healing in 2 ways. One being if you tossed say a lv of rogue in there to jack up umd.

Another and is also very popular due to the versatility as well as dmg is the half elf race. Using the cleric dili you can wand whip cure seriors and critical early on and whip heal scrolls at lv 15. Their is just no easier way of leveling except say a PM pumping hp into themselves 24/7 or likewise on a healer.

You could also go for one of the many splash builds designed for melee as I'd say splashes are almost the norm anymore except for a few classes, but I'd level up a fighter first to basically give you hands on experience. You find what you like and don't, what benefits you and what you don't use.

Then just tr and rebuild it better with past lives backing it.