Community Member

Default Critique my tank please:)

All right guys, below is my take on a WF tank build. I am part of a static group that is TR'ing into an all Warforged group, so please dont tell me that WF suck as tanks as the whole group will be WF and I have no choice That being said I have a few questions about this build and am hoping that the expert builders out there will chime in to help me make this guy the best he can be. I have been designated as the "tank" of my group. I will mainly use two handers, great axes and such while in DPS mode, then switch to bastard swords when tanking is required. We do have a bard in the party so hitting things to generate hate/aggro as well as my intimidate( mid 70's hopefully) should be no problem keeping aggro. Ive taken 2 rank of healers friend as we have a "Soul Survivor" build in the group and he will be throwing mass heals Im sure at higher levels.

1. My dex will be at 28 max( possible 30) which is +9 to my AC right? . Mitheral body is max +5. With past life student of the sword feat and the Stalwart defender III enhancements that would be +9 correct? Any reason to take armor mastery feats if I cant get my dex to 30 and if I do get it to 30 do I just need 1 rank of armor mastery?

2. I have considered using Large shields ( I have the Kundark large shield that I will make epic) as opposed to Tower shields to save AP points as well, Good idea?

3. How much AC would I be giving up by not using Tower shields? It looks to me that large shields have no "Max dex" and tower shields do. But i may be reading it wrong. Is it worth the AP points to get the Tower shields?

4.Does the 20% additional HP's for SD III add up after all items and enhancements or is it off of base HP.

5. Anyone see any glaring obvious mistakes or changes that need made?

6. I took a +3 tome all ready, should I drop starting Int to 10, and raise wisdom to 7. Would net me 1 more to my will save I think but would it mess up my skill point allotment? I only need a 13 Int for combat expertise no sense in a 14 int right?

THANKS ALL !!

WF Tank
    Level 20 Neutral Good Robot
    (18 Fighter \ 2 Rogue)
    Hit Points: 436
    Spell Points: 0
    BAB: 19\19\24\29\29
    Fortitude: 16
    Reflex: 14
    Will: 5

Starting Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
    (34 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
    Strength 16 26
    Dexterity 16 20
    Constitution 16 21
    Intelligence 11 14
    Wisdom 6 9
    Charisma 11 14

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
    +3 Supreme Tome taken at level 11

Starting Feat/Enhancement
    Base Skills Modified Skills
    Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
    Balance 7 18
    Intimidate 4 40
    Jump 7 10
    Open Lock 7 9
    Use Magic Device 4 25

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Mithral Body
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Fighter

Level 2 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: fella Sword

Level 3 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Dodge
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 4-5 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 6 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 7 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Attack

Level 8-9 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Student of the Sword

Level 10-11 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two Handed Fighting

Level 12 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Combat Expertise

Level 13-14 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Shield Mastery

Level 15 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Skill Focus: Intimidate

Level 16 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 17-18 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Shield Mastery
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 19-20 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Two Handed Fighting

Enhancements
    Fighter Armor Class Boost III
    Fighter Haste Boost III
    Fighter Armor Mastery II
    Fighter Stalwart Defender III
    Fighter Item Defense II
    Racial Toughness IV
    Improved Intimidate IV
    Rogue Dexterity I
    Fighter Strength II
    Fighter Toughness IV
    Warforged Brute Fighting III
    Warforged Constitution II
    Warforged Healer's Friend II
    Warforged Power Attack I
    Last edited by bigdmag; 04-05-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: changing title

I'm too lazy to give you a complete answer, but basically, warforged stalwart will be pretty weak, but with nice HP i admit it.
    Though, going kensai will grant you rather the same abilities, 70 intimi being reachable still, way more dps but still a tank (expect 800 HP on WF kensai).
    AC is meaningless on epic unless you totally gimp your toon, arent warforged AND it'd last for 20 seconds anyway.

You got a "Soul Survivor" in your group so i dont see why warforged is so mandatory unless it's RPwise :P

To put it in a nutshell kensai doesnt mean DPS ONLY and stawlart TANK.
    Kensais can tank most of the actual content, and stalwarts are only mandatory when it comes to very hard raid bosses (epic lord of blades, epic Master Artificer (yes i tank green), elite horoth...) that are bascially not warforged friendly (nor 6 men friendly).

So my advice is : go 20 fighter kensai, use your big weapons and max your intimi. You'll achieve what you are after and will do better at it.

And by the way, fighter past life active feat is totally useless, even more on a fighter ^^
    Last edited by Arshan; 04-06-2012 at 04:25 AM.
    Tarnesh(GateauFRANCIS, Life 10/10+) / Thazok(GateauTUNES, Life 5/4) / Thaerom(GateauHJEALS, Life 3/3)
    Iccir's Badger Minsc and Boo approve this build

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigdmag View Post
    1. My dex will be at 28 max( possible 30) which is +9 to my AC right? . Mitheral body is max +5. With past life student of the sword feat and the Stalwart defender III enhancements that would be +9 correct?
    SD III does NOT raise MDB on light armor, which is what Mithril Body counts as. Apart from ftr Armor Mastery, consider adding Mobility (+2 MDB); also I think epic docents can be slotted with Greater Nimbleness (+2 MDB), but definitely double-check before you run off and craft something.

It's outdated, but I'd start by looking at Big Rock Candy. I haven't seen anyone do a better WF ftr 18 / rogue 2 SD III build lately. Probably because DMed humans using epic Chimera Fang are the "in" thing at the moment. WF tank? That's so five updates ago!

Community Member

Default ****

Ahh didn't realize that it doesn't work with light armor. I will have to find a spot to fit in mobility and 1 or 2 ranks of armor mastery.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

BTW, why so much CHA? Is it just for the bonus to UMD & Intim?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    BTW, why so much CHA? Is it just for the bonus to UMD & Intim?
    Yes, UMD and Intim. I could lower it 2 points but really can only add to wisdom. Id be giving up +1 to UMD and Intim for + 1 to will save so i thought it wasn't really worth the change.