Thread: Ac on a barb

Default Ac on a barb

So I know this is halfway ******** but I figured I might as well ask...

I've got a gimpy level 16 (14b/2ftr) dual wielding barb (with lit2 khopeshes cause I used to be a fighter) and I just pulled that tower shield from Lords of dust and figured I'd try it on... with that and level 16 tier 1 cavalry plate and a protection +5 ring I've got an AC in the mid 40's without the madstone armor bonus, wich actually result in some misses at this level.
    I figured I could bump it quite a bit if I bothered with it... the question would be; When will I start to get missed in stuff like hox and vod (where an AC tank is actually something you might want).
    -The mash on Argo
    In Soviet Russia Shroud trust in YOU!

Interesting idea.....but really AC on a barb is sorta like teets on a bull. Rage up and its gone.

Well, the idea was to be able to turtle up and make life easier for the healers in the raids I mentioned... Just trying to add some additional versatility :P
    -The mash on Argo
    In Soviet Russia Shroud trust in YOU!

AC for HoX and VoD you will want 70+ for swing and misses on norm. Sully has a +56-58 to hit i believe so even with a 70 he hits you on a 12, Xy'zzy is higher i think....

Dont think you are getting that high mate...good luck tho..

P.S. if you wana help healers in a raid, get heal amp, leviks, or go DT armor, 10%, 20% on armor....
    I feel at home in the darkness, when its just me and my blades...when the hunter takes over!

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Well, AC and Rage don't play nice with each other.
    and I haven't seen a Barb yet that could get a great AC...at least at end game.

but.... that doesn't mean it is completely useless either. There can be times when you can make a tactical decision to not rage, and turtle up.
    especially in lower lvl quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Hahahaha ...oh wait your serious i'm going to say nah they aren't called meat bags for nothing

Community Member

I got a similar wild hair with my Kensai THF. I'm stuck with Bsword proficiency until I TR since Fred is stupid and it stands in the way as a prereq for Wep Focus Slashing (even though he has martial proficiency). Although this may have changed since I last tried which has been a while (also it might have been that it stands in front of imp crit or something else. It's really been a while). I got a Light and Dark Shield from Mindsunder but I still cant seem to get up beyond mid 40's on AC... Without Epic gear (and I'm not keen on grinding for as long as it takes to give me a still less than mediocre AC). Also in order to get better I would have to dump some of my tactics enhancements for armor mastery. Not a good trade for a damage dealer imo.

So. I've crafted a Life Shield Adamantine Full plate for him and I already took all of the Healing Amp enhancement lines carry an assortment of useful remove\buff potions\clickies and now looking forward to some Stoneskin clickies, Spell resistance (22), better than DR/3- item\armor (that wont possibly suck out my eyeballs... I'm talking to you Bloodrage Symbiont) and bumping saves as high as possible.

Damage reduction isn't just DR. Spells can be resisted too and some can be saved for half damage or better. Stoneskin absorbs up to 150 dmg. Block when you get knocked down (read about this a couple of weeks ago and it actually works). In most low\mid level quests (until they get true seeing at least): Invis clickie to close the gap between you and caster\archer types and drop em from behind works pretty well and is very satisfying.

Help healers out by using damage mitigation, tactics(as well as good old common sense) and making the bad guys dead. Also keep some useful at level raise scrolls, wands or mnemonic pots etc. for the runs where the Cleric either totally kicked @$$ or you made them work way too hard.

If you want to get really crazy: Roll a healer and play one so you can get in their head and see what really irks them.

My barbarian was AC-capable once... I intim-tanked Suulo in VoD normal back in the day. Back before the tank PrEs came out.

AC is mostly gear, and a barbarian can certainly dismiss rage and pull out a shield.

Improved Uncanny Dodge is quite powerful too... It gives +6 AC which is pretty solid. Barbarian Intimidate also gives monsters a shaken affect (even bosses) with gives them a -2 to hit, which is equal to +2 AC.

You need about a 55-60 AC for it be useful in level 16 content and your DPS will drop terribly since you won't be raged, and you'll be using Sword and Shield instead of a Two-handed weapon. You'll need some more gear like an +4 Insight weapon from the Shroud, +3 Dodge bonus from challenge bracers, Natural armor (or barkskin potions). Isn't there new armor that has Rough Hide stacking bonuses to AC?

It's possible, but probably not worth it.

And for bosses, you need DPS and threat to hold aggro nowadays (in the old days, intimidate was enough). Fighters and Paladins have PrEs that increase threat, with bonuses to AC as well. A non-raged barbarian using a one-handed weapon with no PrE threat bonuses is going to have problems holding aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by smithj_2020 View Post
    AC for HoX and VoD you will want 70+ for swing and misses on norm. Sully has a +56-58 to hit i believe so even with a 70 he hits you on a 12, Xy'zzy is higher i think....
    Nah, Suulo to-hit is less than that... A 72 AC in VoD normal means he can only hit you on a 20.

P.S. if you wana help healers in a raid, get heal amp, leviks, or go DT armor, 10%, 20% on armor....
    I agree with this. Heal amp is good for barbarians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Sully is about 50 or so on Norm, mid 50's on Hard, and low 60's to mid 60's on Elite.

Xy'zzy is less- maybe 40 norm, 45 hard, 50 elite? She's easily AC'able with any half-decent attempt. I rarely get hit chewtoying her with a 65 on my Cleric.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Welcome to Argo, where our end game players are constantly striving for new and exciting ways to make themselves more gimp, and continually working towards progressively more pointless goals.
    BYOH. Know it, abide by it, or don't mess with those who do.

Depending how reliable wiki is, sully +56 to hit in norm
    I feel at home in the darkness, when its just me and my blades...when the hunter takes over!

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Rather than an AC barb tank, I think a Shield Mastery + barb DR tank makes more sense. I mean, to the extent tanking with a barb makes sense in the first place. A barb 18 / ftr 2 will have DR 6 to 8 (depending on enhs); Shield Mastery + tower shield is 20% dmg mitigation on top of that. That's a pretty fair boost to survivability for 1 feat and up to 6 APs. Plus intim threat bonus w/shield to help hold aggro.

Not what I'd consider a full-time tank, more like a backup tank if you can't find a "real" one or the SD / DoS goes down or whatever.

EDIT: once the changes to Enhancements come out w/new racial PrEs, might be amusing to come up with a dwarf FB III / Defender build.

Next time cove comes around build one of the rings and one shield. Too bad crit rage is not available to you. Khopesh or heavy pick s&b with the right shield you might like very much. Swashbuckler is great. That is one shield that is hard to beat.

Along those lines too shield mastery feat is a good idea as well. You could play s&b tank by getting healing amp and shield mastery, use a two hander like falcion or two handed sword that can proc alot of crits in a short amount of time to get aggro then turtle up using hps, healing amp, and dr instead of ac. Think there is a docent out there that gives great dr and should stack with shield blocking although I'm not sure. Of course that would only matter if you are warforged
    Last edited by Orratti; 04-09-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrargh View Post
    Well, the idea was to be able to turtle up and make life easier for the healers in the raids I mentioned... Just trying to add some additional versatility :P
    As long as it isn't costing you too much extra versatility is always a good idea.