Default Fast attacks and moving

Another one of my probabily silly questions, but I need to ask...

Is there an ability or skill that makes the character attack and move / run faster? And without buffs. I see lots of melee players running around like they had a dose of 24/7 medications that last a life time. I know there are boots with permanent running bonuses, but what about the constant rapid attacking? No, not talking about [player class] Attack Boost, those last a few seconds only and I'm used to watch players move all around and attack without using their attack boosts.

My pali and fighter run so sloooow in comparison to these players (and if a caster gives us all haste, they seem overcloked, and I still stay behind them...)

Thank you
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by msdesign View Post

Is there an ability or skill that makes the character attack and move / run faster? And without buffs. I see lots of melee players running around like they had a dose of 24/7 medications that last a life time. I know there are boots with permanent running bonuses, but what about the constant rapid attacking? No, not talking about [player class] Attack Boost, those last a few seconds only and I'm used to watch players move all around and attack without using their attack boosts.

My pali and fighter run so sloooow in comparison to these players (and if a caster gives us all haste, they seem overcloked, and I still stay behind them...)

Thank you
    Haste pots, or spell come to mind.
    ~~~ R E V E N A N T S ~~~
    Ayspam Life #27/27(Completionist Sorc), Aycare Life #10/10(Evoker FvS), Ayplink Life #22/22(Completionist to be decided), Aygo Life #14/14(Helvesbarian)

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

There are items out there which give a plus in running.
    There are also craftable shards which can give this bonus.

There is also the spell "haste" and "Expeditious Retreat". http://ddowiki.com/page/Expeditious_Retreat You can buy potions and wands "containing" this spell. I don't know if Collectors give them out, too.

Sometimes, even items can have thse two pells "attached". You activate them, then.

What I have found out, by the way, is that moving gives a tiny malus on ... I think it was the attack ? I don't quite remember anymore, and it is only visible if you look at the "details" under your inventory display (I think) and look at the numbers there while moving and "non-moving". I think it is called "harried. http://ddowiki.com/page/Harried

This is what I know, but I'm not an expert. Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ayspam View Post
    Haste pots, or spell come to mind.
    I believe its neither one, because:

- Some of the "speedy" players where fighers, and with no spells at all (maybe clickie, but wich one?)
    - Don't think could be Haste either, because I remember when a wizzy cast that spell and they got running even faster (and haste dont stack with another haste)

Exp. retreat is out of chance too, because it makes the toon leave some blink marks in their feet when running. I never saw them.

I'm thinking about some ability or skill, because I even see them running fast in the market in a constant way.

[Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Thank you
    Some TR players are actually "running" the quests . They want to get over with each quest as fast as possible . You will be faster after a TR

Also :
    house Phiarlan Favor - Commended - 150 Favor

You receive a trinket (Phiarlan Pendant of Time) that lets you cast "Warp Time" on yourself 1/rest. This can only be activated while in the city. It cannot be activated in a mission and will deactivate upon entering a mission. This spell acts as a run-speed buff. The amount of speed increase is 50%. It does not stack with Haste but it does stack with the Ranger/Barbarian run-speed boost.
    Last edited by TasMagar; 04-02-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    Ghallanda - Legends of Ancient Greece

Gazbar

For running: Pendant of Time out of quests, 30% Striders in quests, Monks have caffiene running through their veins.

For attacking: Melee Alacrity items, perma-Haste, being a Monk, twitching well, and the unarmed wiggle are the only things I can think that would account for this.
    Maybe because you run slower, you subconciously believe you attack slower?

Also, if you have a Medium+ encumberance, you run slower than if you had a Light encumberance.
    Last edited by Kenpai; 04-02-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Run Speed:

1) Every 3 monk lvls gives you a stacking 5% increase to run speed... lvl 20 monk has like 70% striding.
    2) 1 lvl of Barbarian gives a one time stacking +10% bonus to run speed
    3) Rangers and Barbarians have "Sprint Boost" which gives a short term but big increase to run speed (Tier I is like 35% stacking bonus)

Attack Speed:

There are items in game with +10% Melee Alacrity bonus. Can be crafted on a shard or it comes on certain high lvl items. It doesnt stack w/ haste but its permanent.

Some animations seem to be a bit faster... Half Orc with a great axe or Maul seems (to me at least) to be much faster than other races.

Thats about it. Be sure you have the best striders you can have for your lvl and unless you've got one of the above classes/items.. your SOL .... Plus of course most /many TR's go through haste pots like their's no tommarrow.... one of the bonuses of having plat to burn (a stack of 100 haste pots that last 30 seconds each cost about 10K plat)

For when your not in a quest what you could be seeing is the Pendant of Time which is awarded for 150 favor with House Phiarlan. Gives you a permanent 40% increase to run speed while in town. Once you enter a dungeon your back to normal speed.

Its possible to be that barbarian run speed on some cases. What about the fast attacking? Does more strengh allow a melee to attack faster? Like swinging a greatsword a bit faster...

I remember yesterday, I was playing with a full party with my pali (the other melees where 2 TR barbarians); we all had haste the wizzy cast on us, and while they were killing a troll or two, I was killing another one. I felt sooo slow, they even had time to come help me killing the troll I was slaying after they kill the others. While they have stronger attacks, and I understand that, what makes them move the arms and swing the weapons so fast? Can't figure
    [Ghallanda]

Thank you
    I hope I can help clarify a few things for you.

First off... Attack speed increases as your BAB (base attack bonus) increases. Some classes increase their BAB by 1 every level, these are the specifically melee oriented classes (fighter, barb, pally etc). Rogues, bards and the like do not increase their BAB every level, but most levels. Then mages have the slowest increase rate to BAB. Too many specifics to get into on this, but you can check out BAB bonus rates on ddo wiki or something.

Secondly... There are very few other things that increase attack speed in the game. Action boosts is one type. There are a few high level items that increase attack speed. Monk's wind stance, and a few other class specific buffs exist as well. The most common attack speed boost is haste, and many of the other attack speeds do not stack with haste. Basically you can have a class innate boost (like fighter capstone or rogue acrobat) an action boost, and a magical boost (like haste). I believe the monk's wind stance does not stack with haste.

Now for Runspeed....

Barbarians and monks get innate bonuses to runspeed. Barbs get 10% at level 1, and they also get action boosts for temp increases. Monks start getting runspeed bonuses at level 3 with 10%, but then it improves more over time as they level up (barbarian's never get more than the 10% they got at level 1). Rangers also get action boost runspeed buffs, and a spell (longstrider) but no permanent boosts. The ranger spell doesn't stack with the magical effects listed below.

In addition to action boosts and class bonuses to runspeed there are several magical bonuses. None of these stack with each other... only the highest applies. Striding on gear can range from 5% up to 30%. Expeditious retreat, and haste both give 25% bonuses (none of these stack with each other).

I hope that clears things up for you a bit.

Its possible to be that barbarian run speed on some cases. What about the fast attacking? Does more strengh allow a melee to attack faster? Like swinging a greatsword a bit faster...

I remember yesterday, I was playing with a full party with my pali (the other melees where 2 TR barbarians); we all had haste the wizzy cast on us, and while they were killing a troll or two, I was killing another one. I felt sooo slow, they even had time to come help me killing the troll I was slaying after they kill the others. While they have stronger attacks, and I understand that, what makes them move the arms and swing the weapons so fast? Can't figure
    Either twitching or you're convincing yourself that they attack faster than you.
    2 TR barbarians will likely have Lit 2s and be spamming their Cleaves, and will probably be able to take out several trolls before a first lifer kills even one. This can give off the appearance that they're attacking faster than you are because they're wiping the floor with mobs faster than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalion View Post
    In addition to action boosts and class bonuses to runspeed there are several magical bonuses. None of these stack with each other... only the highest applies. Striding on gear can range from 5% up to 30%. Expeditious retreat, and haste both give 25% bonuses (none of these stack with each other).
    Striding gives up to 24% (on the Striders that list 30%). Haste gives 32% (it says 40%). Exp. Retreat gives 25%, as it says.
    Last edited by Kenpai; 04-02-2012 at 07:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

I believe its neither one, because:

- Some of the "speedy" players where fighers, and with no spells at all (maybe clickie, but wich one?)
    - Don't think could be Haste either, because I remember when a wizzy cast that spell and they got running even faster (and haste dont stack with another haste)

Exp. retreat is out of chance too, because it makes the toon leave some blink marks in their feet when running. I never saw them.

I'm thinking about some ability or skill, because I even see them running fast in the market in a constant way.

Probably listed already:

Haste sources:
    - Haste potions

- Haste clickies whereas regular ones with 1-5/rest charges at CL 5 for 30 seconds on it can be found anywhere, then there are the greensteel crafted ones according to the Air element. 3/rest CL 15 Haste. And last but not least epic Goggles of Timesensing which give you clicky haste at CL 20.

- Scrolls

Running Speed sources:
    - class related bonuses like Fast Movement from Barbarian class

- House Phiarlan's Pendant of Time. 150 favor needed. It is only useful in public areas. Little fun fact is, it even works in event related areas like Crystal Cove and Delera's Graveyard at Mabar event as well as the Dragon's chamber.

- Enhancements like Sprint Boost

- Striding items (but the Striding bonuses are broken atm, they give less than shown in the text)

- Spells (Longstrider, Exp. Retreat, Haste, Shadow Walk i. e.)

- Expeditious Retreat Clickies/Wands

- Scrolls

Attack Speed sources:
    - Enhancements

- Spells and clickies (see Haste sources above)

- customized item effects like Melee Alacricity (even found on named items such like Fabricator's Gauntlets)

- Twitching. Twitching is the method to interrupt your full attack animation at a certain point with little moving attached to it so you lock the attack animation at the fastest one. There are several videos on YouTube available, you maybe want to check it out. It is difficult to practise but once you get the hang of it you kill stuff much faster.

The attack animation is depending on your weapon used and it might not be needed to twitch with every weapon and/or race. For example a Half Orc using a Greataxe is swinging faster compared to a Human swinging a Greataxe. Additionally the attack animation from a Half Orc differs from a Human so twitching with a Humand and Half Orc use different timing.
    Last edited by zwiebelring; 04-02-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Thanks everyone I think I'm clarified now, I'll just continue attacking with my happy and slow human pali...
    [Ghallanda]

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Probably listed already:

Haste sources:
    - Haste potions

- risia ice games 1 min haste pots

- Haste clickies whereas regular ones with 1-5/rest charges at CL 5 for 30 seconds on it can be found anywhere, then there are the greensteel crafted ones according to the Air element. 3/rest CL 15 Haste. And last but not least epic Goggles of Timesensing which give you clicky haste at CL 15.
    And haste guard found in Attack of storm reach Armour, DT armour and Greensteal items/wepons 30 sec on that is toggle when monster hit you but hey ^^

- Scrolls

Running Speed sources:
    - class related bonuses like Fast Movement from Barbarian class

- House Phiarlan's Pendant of Time. 150 favor needed. It is only useful in public areas. Little fun fact is, it even works in event related areas like Crystal Cove and Delera's Graveyard at Mabar event as well as the Dragon's chamber.

- Enhancements like Sprint Boost

- Striding items (but the Striding bonuses are broken atm, they give less than shown in the text)

- Spells (Longstrider, Exp. Retreat, Haste, Shadow Walk i. e.)

- Expeditious Retreat Clickies/Wands

- Scrolls

Attack Speed sources:
    - Enhancements

- Spells and clickies (see Haste sources above)

- customized item effects like Melee Alacricity (even found on named items such like Fabricator's Gauntlets)

- Twitching. Twitching is the method to interrupt your full attack animation at a certain point with little moving attached to it so you lock the attack animation at the fastest one. There are several videos on YouTube available, you maybe want to check it out. It is difficult to practise but once you get the hang of it you kill stuff much faster.

The attack animation is depending on your weapon used and it might not be needed to twitch with every weapon and/or race. For example a Half Orc using a Greataxe is swinging faster compared to a Human swinging a Greataxe. Additionally the attack animation from a Half Orc differs from a Human so twitching with a Humand and Half Orc use different timing.
    Some thoughts in red
    Thelanis -> D 20bbn (TR 1) | H 11rgr/7mnk/2ftr+2 (TR 1) | K 20bbn+3 (TR 3) | K 15pal/3mnk/2ftr (TR 1) | M 20+1 fvs (TR 2) | S 8mnk/12pal (TR 2)
    Gimped -> B 20wiz | Work in progress -> B (TR 1) 6rgr/6bbn/1rog | B (TR2) 14fs I drop BB; I don't HJEEEAL (:

Thank you, I forgot that totally^^.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

I had a similar experience one or two weeks ago, around level 5. The wizard I played was incredibly slow ...

Could it be that the running speed is based on trength, too ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    I had a similar experience one or two weeks ago, around level 5. The wizard I played was incredibly slow ...

Could it be that the running speed is based on trength, too ?
    If you get encumbered it slows you down, so yes, strength can be a factor.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpai View Post
    Striding gives up to 24% (on the Striders that list 30%). Haste gives 32% (it says 40%). Exp. Retreat gives 25%, as it says.
    There's also the Marshwalker set from the Red Fens. By all accounts, it's a fully-functioning 30% Striding effect.