Community Member

Default Build Request: Niche Atk/Save Reducing Tanking build

Using the following as a base, how would you exploit this concept niche build? It's based on reducing the saves/attack of nearby enemies.. Please consider items that have proc effects based on a DC save, such as rock boots.

Must Have:
    Level 6 Favored Soul
    Maximize spell (For Angel of Vengeance prestige, also for better heals)
    Angel of Vengeance Prestige class, for Aura (-2 atk, -2 AC, -2 Saves)
    Fearsome Item (-2 atk, -2 saves, -2 skill checks. Could be tier 1 Dragontouched armor, Emerald Claw Pendant, ran-gen or crafted armor. See notes below for reasoning)
    Prayer Spell (-1 atk, -1 saves, -1 damage, -1 Skill Checks, no save/no spell resistance)

(Fearsome notes: I love fearsome. Ever since they added reduced movement speed to Fear'd enemies, it's been great. Fearsome items cast the "Fear" Spell on people who hit you, which is either 'Fear' on failed DC 17 Will save, or Shaken on a successful save. So, even if the mob makes the save, the mob is still taking -2 atk, -2 saves from being 'Shaken'. In higher level content, most mobs will just save against fear and be Shaken, so mobs won't run away much.)

The concept is to reduce saves/atk/skill checks as much as possible on mobs.. with the above, mobs can be reduced as much as -5 atk/-5 saves/-3 skill checks/-2 AC/ -1 dmg, assuming the mob hits you at least one time (easy to do with intimidate.) You could get curse guard armor from the madness chain.. I haven't tested proc rate so I'm not sure how well that would work. Suggest items too, please.. I'm thinking things like Rock Boots, as taking a -5 to saves will make the lvl 4 rock boots have a fort save of 22, which is not bad at all considering you could have it at level 6..)

The -Skill checks might come in handy.. I'm not sure if that effects your intim rolls on mobs.. but it would help for trip effects from telekinesis?

Possibly Elemental Khopesh of Water, with Cursespewing crafted on it, for paralyzing & curse? Use that with Cleave, Great cleave to mass CC? Should have a not-too bad success rate with all the save reducing effects.. Base DC 15 Cursespewing, 18 after aura and Prayer, 20 after taking a hit and proc'ing shaken, so likely 20 dc to curse. Paralizing is base dc 17, so 22 with the above mentioned, and then 26 if cursespewing procs. Cleaving and Greatcleaving will increase number of procs and syncs well with intimidating (gathers mobs up).... This build seems like it would be highly effective at the lvls 6-19 range, for any non-raid quest. Even for Raids, you can intim some bosses, and for others you can go with DPS gear I guess..
    Last edited by Ra'ehd; 04-01-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Community Member

I'm thinking Dwarf 12/6/2 Fighter/FvS/Monk.

Dwarf for D.axes, +3dr when shielding, +Constitution.

The only neg I see here is -Cha, which isn't really a big deal. My char has +3cha tome, can get +2cha from FVS for a total of 11cha w/o any points spent. I only need 13 cha, so I can get a few more points in by spending and/or using cha items just so I can cast lvl 3 FVS spells. I might even put a few points into Cha just for +intimidate.

Fighter 12 for Stalwart Defender 2, providing DR 4/-, +4 Intimidate, +15% health, +4 Str, +4 con, +dr when shield blocking

Monk 2 for the extra feats/evasion and either +2 to all ele resists and saves vs traps or +1 intimidate.

Community Member

No ideas on how to maximize on reduced saves as a melee build? =/